Hizmet will continue its mission regardless of attacks

Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: August 11, 2014

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who, along with the faith-based Hizmet movement, has been subjected to numerous attacks from Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has said the movement will continue to perform its mission regardless of circumstances.

The introduction video of Gülen’s latest speech titled, “Düşen Maskeler ve Karakuşî Kararları” (“Fallen Masks and Nonsense, Unlawful Rulings”) was broadcast on Sunday on the Herkul.org website.

In his speech, Gülen tells Hizmet followers that if they are insulted and assaulted by people who only think about their personal interests, they should see it as admiration from God, and they are being tested by those people they once saw as close to them.

Referring to a hadith of Prophet Muhammad, the Islamic scholar said that the difficulty of tests one is subjected to increases in proportion with that person’s depth of religion and strength.

Hizmet and Gülen have been the direct targets of Prime Minister Erdoğan ever since a corruption probe in which some senior government members have been implicated became public on Dec. 17. Erdoğan, who refers to Hizmet as a “parallel state” or “structure,” accuses the movement of being behind the corruption operation.

Erdoğan’s government has taken action to ensure the closure of schools opened by Hizmet followers in many countries around the world. Hizmet-affiliated institutions and schools in Turkey are also under intense pressure from the government.

Gülen said the latest developments have revealed how people who used to appreciate the activities of Hizmet have turned their backs on the movement in return for some financial benefits, hence giving the opportunity for Hizmet to see the real faces of those people.

The Islamic scholar has denied the government’s claims that he or Hizmet have tried to establish a parallel state.

“There is no such thing as a parallel state, and I said may God damn whoever is parallel. You have no worries, do you? You have brought your country, nation, government worldwide prestige. You have not been a parallel [structure],” Gülen said.

Complaining about efforts to close Hizmet-affiliated schools abroad, he said the government asked Russia eight times within a period of two months to close Hizmet schools there.

“The people of Anatolia have opened schools in 160 countries of every color and pattern. They are in a way acting like foreign missions. They introduce our country [to others]. Some people come up and ask for the closure of these schools… There is such hatred, enmity and feeling of revenge that 20 different ways are employed with the evilest of intentions to deter these people [Hizmet followers] who follow the path of the Prophet [Muhammad] from their mission,” he said.

Gülen told followers of the Hizmet movement that they should not be challenged by such attempts, adding that the followers will even do ironworking, polish shoes or knit socks in order to earn money to ensure that Hizmet continues to promote its mission.

The Hizmet movement promotes interfaith dialogue and the resolution of problems through peaceful means throughout the world. 

Source: Today's Zaman , August 10, 2014


Related News

Abant Platform on Africa to convene on Friday

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, İSTANBUL The 29th meeting of the Abant Platform, to focus on Africa, will be held from June 28-30 on Lake Abant in the province of Bolu. Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Secretary-General Hüseyin Hurmalı told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday that the Abant Platform had established a partnership earlier this year with the African Union, which […]

Hundreds of young Turkish children jailed alongside their moms as part of a post-coup crackdown

“We were all treated like terrorists, we were isolated,” Kam, a 34-year-old university teacher, told Fox News from Germany, where she and her family are now refugees. “We were all humiliated. … I don’t know what was worse, to have my baby in the prison or to have my other son, who was 11, outside the prison.”

Prep school transformation plan violates Constitution, experts say

DERVİŞ GENÇ, İSTANBUL A government plan to shut down Turkey’s prep schools — or “transform” them, as the government argues — violates the Turkish Constitution and the case law of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), according to experts. “Parliament can neither close the prep schools with a law nor force them to transform. […]

WikiLeaks reveals emails from the son-in-law of President Erdogan, ‘proving his connection to ISIS operation smuggling oil into Turkey’

WikiLeaks has released a tranche of more than 57,000 personal emails from the account of Turkey’s Minister of Oil Berat Albayrak, President Erdogan’s son-in-law. WikiLeaks alleges that the emails reveal ‘Albayrak’s involvement in organisations such as Powertrans, the company implicated in Isis oil imports’. The company has been implicated in oil imports from ISIS-controlled oil fields.

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement on the Shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada

Fethullah Gülen: “I am shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic mass shooting at a music festival in Las Vegas on Sunday night, that resulted in the deaths of more than 50 people and the wounding of more than 500.”

Erdogan Moves to Shut Prep Schools in Blow to Gulen Followers

The issue is important to Gulen’s followers, who teach about 400,000 of the 1.2 million prep school students. The schools offer additional training to students preparing for exams from elementary schools to universities.
Erdogan has so far removed thousands of police officers and prosecutors on suspected ties to Gulen’s movement, while pro-government media has targeted companies for alleged links to the cleric.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

NPR’s Interview with Gulen – He Denies Involvement In Coup Attempt

Talking with the “Religious Terrorist” that Turkey Wants Trump to Extradite

Thousands pay final respects to Gülen’s brother in Erzurum

Stability in the post-Erdoğan era

Slanders against Hizmet Movement at highest level, which offends Anatolians

Fethullah Gülen: Erdogan is a Narcissist Dictator, His Main Enemy is Himself

Are the Turkish Leader Erdogan’s Claims of Terrorist Coup Plotting to Be Believed?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News