Turkish PM acknowledges phone call to media executive


Date posted: February 12, 2014

ANKARA

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has acknowledged that he called a media executive at the height of the Gezi protests to order the removal of news content, days after an alleged phone transcript of the exchanged was leaked online, sparking anger over political pressure on the media.

“About the phone call from Morocco, yes indeed, I called. I only made some reminders. And those
individuals to whom I conveyed the reminders regarding the news ticker did what was necessary,” Erdoğan said Feb. 11 following a journalist’s question during a joint press conference in Ankara with visiting Spanish counterpart Mariano Rajoy.

“When such insults are made, I or my friends call to tell [newspaper executives] … I don’t know if it is wrong [telling them] this. But we have to teach such things because the insults that were being made were not ordinary,” Erdoğan said.

In the recording, Erdoğan is heard demanding that private broadcaster Habertürk’s executive remove a news ticker feed referring to a statement by Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli at the height of the Gezi Park resistance last June. In the news ticker, Bahçeli called on President Abdullah Gül to “do his duty” and intervene in the Gezi protests, and it was not clear to which “extraordinary insults” the prime minister was referring.

Erdoğan’s statements came after the editor-in-chief of daily Habertürk, owned by the same media group, also acknowledged regular phone calls from government officials, publicly claiming to be under constant political pressure.

Erdoğan also lashed out at claims based on other leaked phone recordings that he instructed a group of businessman to create a pool to collect money in order to buy daily Sabah and its sister television channel, ATV.

“First of all, you use the expression ‘pool.’ This is something that you make up. What pool? The company which undertook a step regarding [Sabah-ATV] is not any company,” Erdoğan said referring to a construction company, which is also part of the consortium that recently won a tender for the construction of Istanbul’s third airport, which has been criticized on the grounds that it will destroy the city’s remaining green spaces and water reservoirs.

Tension erupted during the press statement when the reporter of a daily close to the movement of U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which Erdoğan accuses of orchestrating graft probes, took the floor to ask a question over the legality of his summer houses on the Aegean coast.

“Do not use expressions such as ‘there are claims.’ Say instead, ‘We claim,’ because behind all these claims, there are your executives. You only act according to how the place abroad that you are connected to commands you to do so,” Erdoğan said, while denying that he owned the houses.

“They are owned by a friend very dear to me. This terrain is not the property of the Treasury. But unfortunately, because your bosses have made a profession about not telling the truth, they [think] that slander leaves a mark. You cannot stain the prime minister over this. Neither your power nor your documents will be enough,” Erdoğan said.

Turkey’s mainstream media has been under constant fire since last year’s Gezi Park protests and the recent graft probes for yielding to political pressure from the government.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , February 12, 2014


Related News

Turkish Deputy PM rules out ‘ill will’ against Gülen community, unveils prep school draft details

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has announced September 2015 as the deadline for the “transformation” of private examination prep schools (dershanes) into private schools, while denying that the move represents hostility toward the “Hizmet” (Service) movement of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Speaking after a 7.5-hour-long Cabinet meeting on Dec. 2, Arınç also announced January 2014 […]

Purge-victim businessman sent back to prison a week after stomach cancer surgery: son

Hacı Boydak, a Kayseri-based Turkish businessman, has been put in solitary confinement only one week after he underwent a cancer surgery, according to his son.

Somali denies allegations that ‘aid supplies did not reach camp’

The claim was also denied by the person in charge of the camp, Ibrahim Abdinur Muhammed, demonstrating that defamatory activities are being conducted by pro-government media outlets against Hizmet movement.
Muhammed said the organization had helped 450 families living in the camp and that it continues to send assistance to the camps in six other locations in Somali in the form of health and food supplies and clothing as well as education tools.

When the masks have fallen

It seems that the judiciary will be forced to investigate the claims of a so-called illegal organization, and sham trials will be performed to intimidate the Hizmet movement and cover up the corruption claims that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, by taking tactics from the former Ergenekon supporters nested within the army, the bureaucracy, business circles, the media and the judiciary.

Jailed journalist facing new trial for not calling Gülen movement a terror organization

Journalist Emre Soncan, who has been behind bars for 20 months, is facing a new trial for not describing the Gülen movement as a terrorist organization. Soncan, 36, used to work for Turkey’s best-selling Zaman daily, which was closed down by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016 due to its links to the Gülen movement.

Parents seeking urgent Release of School Principle Fatih Keskin

“As parents, as we are concerned about the way the principal of this school is treated, and we expect information on the further development of the situation regarding the treatment of the principal,” parents stated, adding that they request to be informed on the reasons for the arrest as soon as possible.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Gülen says praying for kidnapped schoolgirls, Nigerian people

Turkey- the state versus the people

Erdoğan gov’t signals change to allow re-trial of officers

Fighting poverty, ignorance and disunity in Ghana; the TUDEC experience

Festival brings Turkish arts and culture downtown

Turkish entrepreneurs open university in Bucharest

Hizmet really has expanded my understanding of what it means to be human.

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News