Wiretapped recordings erased on orders of new police chief


Date posted: May 20, 2014

DIYARBAKIR

Despite claims that recordings of conversations wiretapped in a Diyarbakır investigation had been erased by members of the “parallel structure,” in the course of another investigation it has come out that the recordings were actually erased on the orders of a police chief who was recently appointed to the province.

“Parallel structure” is a veiled reference that Justice and Development Party (AK Party) officials use to refer to members of the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The AK Party, which has been fighting a major corruption and bribery investigation since mid-December of last year that implicates several of its former ministers and incumbent officials, claims that the probe is the work of the “parallel structure” with the intention of overthrowing the Turkish government. According to the party, the “parallel structure” nested within the police force and the judiciary carried out illegal wiretaps. The party has, however, provided no evidence to support this allegation.

Earlier this year, claims emerged in the media that police officials in the Diyarbakır Police Department who are members of the Hizmet movement carried out a number of illegal wiretaps since 2008, but erased the recordings recently when they feared that they would be caught. The Diyarbakır Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has launched an investigation into the claims.

The truth was revealed earlier this month when a local court hearing a separate case needed the recordings of some conversations wiretapped by the Diyarbakır Police Department. A prosecutor involved in the case asked the police department to submit those recordings to the court, but the police said the recordings had already been erased. When the prosecutor asked the department how they could have been erased when by law they are supposed to be kept for a specific period of time, the department said that they had been erased by members of the “parallel structure.” The prosecutor, unconvinced by the police department’s response, began to examine the circumstances surrounding the whereabouts of the recordings. He questioned several police officers from the department and found that the recordings had been erased on the order of Police Chief Halis Böğürcü, who was appointed head of the Diyarbakır Police Department in early January.

The AK Party government, frustrated by the corruption and bribery investigation, was quick to respond by reassigning public officials en masse. As many as 20,000 police officers and hundreds of members of the judiciary as well as dozens of bureaucrats in public institutions have been reassigned since Dec. 17, 2013, when the graft investigation became public. The fact that no investigation was conducted before those officials were reassigned and that most of the officials were not given any explanation for their reassignment has led to comments that the government is carrying out a witch hunt against its critics.

As many as 1,500 police officers at the Diyarbakır Police Department have been reassigned since Dec. 17, 2013.

Some of the wiretapped recordings erased on Böğürcü’s orders include conversations legally recorded by the Diyarbakır Police Department as part of investigations into radical religious groups and criminal groups engaged in drug smuggling.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 20, 2014


Related News

You Cannot Understand the Servants!

What will you say about the reaction of Mr. Akin Ipek after his enterprise has been shut down as an intimidation? If you forget, let me remind you what he said: “I would sacrifice my whole fortune for a smile of Hocaefendi (Fethullah Gulen).” Can you understand this soul?

Turkish Gov’t media targets exiled journalists, their lives at risk

Following President Erdoğan’s statement that no country is safe for Gülen movement sympathizers, the pro-AKP media targeted exiled journalists in the US and Europe on Monday. Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization has been tasked with locating, arresting and even killing military officers who fled Turkey after allegedly taking part in a failed coup attempt in July, according a story in the Vatan daily on Aug. 30.

The Erdoğan-Gülen encounter and democracy

It is not normal that the non-political Gülen movement would occupy such a central space in election campaigning; this is why the situation calls for some special scrutiny.

Opposition asks for parliamentary session on MİT wiretapping

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen will file a criminal complaint against those responsible for the illegal wiretapping of his phone conversations, Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said in a written statement on Tuesday.
Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Ferit Mevlüt Aslanoğlu called for a parliamentary session to inform the deputies about the technical details of wiretapping.

Turkey’s tryst with democracy (2)

The anti-Hizmet moorings of the Erdoğan-led AK Party were present since the formation of the AK Party government in 2002. It is evident from the “secret deal” signed between the military establishment and the Erdoğan government concerning the profiling of Hizmet volunteers that led to the crackdown on Hizmet.

Gülen’s lawyer to sue daily Sabah over black propaganda

Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah Albayrak, will file a legal complaint in Ankara against the daily on Monday for violating the confidentiality of communication according to Article 132 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) and for insult according to Article 125 of the TCK.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Governor asks Turkish organisation to focus on Balochistan

Austrian Far-Right Leader Likens Turkish Coup to Reichstag Fire

German government says Gülen movement not involved in any illegal acts

Fethullah Gülen lost his friend Prof. Toktamış Ateş, an academic, writer, and eminent democrat

Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010

Woman accused of being Gülenist by ex-husband in prison for 10 months

‘Hiç Durmadan Hizmete Devam’: Turks Decry Erdogan Decision Via #HiçDurmadanHizmeteDevam

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News