New York Times urges Obama not to deport Gulen


Date posted: May 4, 2014

World Bulletin / News Desk

An editorial post by the New York Times has called on the U.S. Pesident Barack Obama to refuse Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s request to have the Pennsylvania-based Turkish congregation leader Fethullah Gulen extradited back to Turkey.

In an editorial titled ‘Let Mr. Erdogan Fight His Own Battles’ published on May 2, the New York Times said ‘The American government is obliged to examine the request if Mr. Erdogan follows through and formally files one. But right now the threat seems to be nothing more than a crass and cynical attempt to exploit the law, and Turkey’s alliance with the United States, for political payback.’

Citing that the Obama administration is yet to comment on the extradition request, the post added ‘It would be an abuse of extradition law to use it for political reasons. Mr. Erdogan should fight his political battles on his own.’

Fethullah Gulen, who leads Turkey’s Hizmet Movement – one of the most influential movements in Turkey – is wanted by the government to face charges over allegations that he was behind a plot to conduct a civilian coup on Erdogan’s ruling AK Party ahead of the March 30 local elections.

A former ally of the Turkish Prime Minister, Gulen’s movement once used allies in key positions in the Turkish judiciary to help Erdogan fight off an attempt by the shadowy Ergenekon group – which was comprised mainly of senior security officials – to carry out a military coup on the government.

However, Gulen and Erdogan began to fall at odds with each other when Gulen disapproved of an attempt by the Turkish charity IHH to break the Israeli naval blockade on Gaza with the Mavi Marmara aid flotilla in May 2010.

Further signs of a split in the alliance between the two began to show once again in 2012 when members in the Turkish judiciary linked to the movement attempted to investigate the head of Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) and key Erdogan ally, Hakan Fidan.

At the end of 2013, Erdogan announced that tuition centers in the country would have to transform themselves into private high schools if they wished to remain open. Gulen’s movement, which owns a high proportion of these schools – from which they earn a bulk of their financial income – said they would not be able to make the transformation and slammed the move as an attempt to halt their services.

Weeks later, on December 17, a wave of high-profile arrests on bureaucrats allied to the AK Party-led government – including the sons of four ministers – left the country in shock after the suspects were accused of corruption and bribery. This prompted Erdogan to conduct an overhaul of the judiciary and police force, and even to reshuffle his cabinet. In doing so, he successfully averted a second wave of arrests on December 25.

Events then evolved as it was revealed that hundreds of thousands of Turkish citizens, including everyone from journalists to President Abdullah Gul, had been listened in a bugging a wiretapping scandal blamed on so called ‘parallel’ elements, with Erdogan pointing the finger directly at Fethullah Gulen.

Just days before the local election, an audio file of Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, intelligence chief Hakan Fidan and two other security officials discussing possible war strategies to use on targets in Syria was leaked on to the internet.

Turkey and the United States have shared an extradition agreement since former Turkish president Kenan Evran signed a deal on November 5, 1980. Fethullah Gulen has been living in self-imposed exile in the U.S. since fleeing Turkey in 1999 with a fake diplomatic passport to escape charges of plotting to undermine the pre-Erdogan Turkish government.

Source: worldbulletin , May 3, 2014


Related News

Atlantic Institute promotes peace through dialogue

It is well known that the institute is inspired by the peaceful teachings of Fethullah Gülen, whose decades-long commitment to education, altruistic community service, and interfaith harmony has inspired millions around the world. Gülen has reinterpreted aspects of Islamic tradition to meet the needs of contemporary Muslims.

Slanders against Hizmet Movement at highest level, which offends Anatolians

ANFED held a general meeting in Ankara, which brought together 22 associations. After the meeting, Bıyık made some explanations to the reporters on the agenda of the country. Anatolian people are out of sorts due to excessive intervention of the government to the law system, the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) and law-enforcement officers.

AKP official: Torture claims won’t be investigated if victims are Gülenists

A Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy has said there will be no investigations into claims of torture and mistreatment of people put into prison after a July 15 coup attempt if those victims are sympathizers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

As the government has launched a sweeping campaign to eliminate any employees, be they public servants or academics, that it suspects of having links with Hizmet from state institutions, Özsoy said the purge is not restricted to state universities. It now includes private universities, too.

Conference highlights Turkish schools’ contribution to world peace

ESRA KOŞAR, NEW YORK Education ministers and academics from various countries highlighted the contributions to world peace made by Turkish schools inspired by internationally respected Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen during a conference held in New York on Monday. The gathering, featuring attendees from across the world, was titled “The Peacebuilding Through Education International Conference” and […]

Standing by the Education Rights of Schoolgirls

Influential Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, who is considered by TIME magazine as “the most potent advocate of moderation in the Muslim world,” has strongly condemned the kidnappings in Nigeria as well as other such violent acts. In an interview he said that denying girls access to education simply goes against the spirit of the Muslim religious tradition and that women should be able to take on every role in our society, including those of physicians, military officers, judges and head of state.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

British lawyers warn of human rights violations in Turkey [against Gulen Movement]

Grade 12 Pupil Receives A Bronze Medal At 61st International Maths Ambassador

Hate Speech is Undermining Turkey’s Fragile Democracy

German translation of Gulen’s book at Frankfurt Book Fair

Did they make mistake?

It is a great loss that Turkish Olympiads were not held in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News