Samanyolu news faces cyber attack from abroad


Date posted: April 5, 2014

ANKARA

On Thursday night Samanyolu Haber TV news channel was the latest to face a cyber attack, as readers have at times also recently been unable to access the websites of the dailies Zaman, Today’s Zaman and Taraf, as well as the Cihan news agency, particularly since the night of the local elections on March 30.

 

According to media reports, the cyber attack against Samanyolu TV was launched from abroad and lasted nearly half an hour.

The Today’s Zaman website has been targeted by hundreds of thousands of computers in a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, in which hackers bombard the website with requests, causing it to slow down or crash.

On March 30, the Taraf daily’s website was attacked by unidentified cyber groups. Taraf challenged the attack with a statement on its main webpage, noting that its website had been under an organized attack for the past week: “To those creeps who are afraid of journalism, freedoms and Taraf,” the statement said, “Those who are afraid of democratic elections, journalism and free media have staged a new attack and have hacked our website. They think that they are successful, but they are the losers. It has been revealed how afraid they are afraid of Taraf and free journalism. They have shown us how powerful we are. It is no use even if you send [highly trained] soldiers or assassins. You cannot silence Taraf. We will continue with our website edition in the shortest time possible.”

RTÜK imposes harsh penalty on Samanyolu TV for corruption broadcasts

The Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) imposed a penalty of TL 123,500 on the Samanyolu Haber TV news channel on Wednesday, citing the channel on the grounds that it violated broadcasting principles.

During its meeting held in Ankara, RTÜK discussed 12 filings against Samanyolu Haber TV and decided that 11 of them include breaches regarding the rule of law, respect for human dignity, privacy and the presumption of innocence with regard to broadcasts related to the government corruption allegations that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, businesspeople who were allegedly involved in corruption and leaked recordings apparently revealing Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, some ministers and businesspeople involved in corruption.

RTÜK member Esat Çıplak said that while pro-government TV channels’ violations are ignored or only perfunctory punishments are imposed, other channels are facing a “battue,” or a hunt.

“Imposing a ban on a broadcasting group with this unlawful attitude deals a blow to the reputability of RTÜK. Targeting and intending to destroy broadcasting with a special team just because they criticize the current government’s activities leads to questioning democracy [in Turkey],” said Çıplak.

 

In late March, RTÜK prohibited the broadcast of 15 Samanyolu Haber TV programs, in addition to the suspension of 20 programs on March 16. “RTÜK has given us the harshest penalty in its history,” the news director said at the time.

The latest RTÜK penalty follows Erdoğan’s vow to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and its associates, which include Samanyolu Haber TV.

Erdoğan has portrayed the sweeping corruption scandal that broke on Dec. 17 and implicated his close associates and even members of his own family as a plot by the Hizmet movement to weaken his government.

Gülen and his followers are at the center of Erdoğan’s accusations, although the prime minister has so far failed to present any evidence that the Hizmet movement was behind the corruption probe.

In a related development, RTÜK members Ali Öztunç and Süleyman Demirkan stated at a press conference that RTÜK’s biased attitude towards TV stations prevents the Supreme Election Board (YSK) from reaching fair decisions on stations that may have violated the pre-election rules.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 4, 2014


Related News

Debunking The Gülen-Erdoğan Relationship

Yes, at one time, there had been rapprochement and mutual support, but reality and history show that such an alliance has long been overstated. The truth is, Erdoğan and Gülen only came together when Erdoğan’s stated goals reflected deeply held beliefs by Gülen. As is often the case, perception is mistaken for reality. Gülen is not Erdoğan’s biggest threat, nor was he his chief ally.

Erdogan plotted purge before coup, say Brussels spies

he European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that Fethullah Gülen, an exiled cleric, was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gülen’s extradition from the US.

Fethullah Gulen’s Message on New Defamation Efforts by Erdogan Regime

I also condemn President Erdogan’s reckless and immoral efforts to defame this peaceful movement that has dedicated itself to universal humanitarian values. I trust in the wisdom and fairness of world leaders to recognize this defamation campaign for what it is.

Gülen’s lawyer appeals arrest warrant

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has appealed the decision of the İstanbul 1st Penal Court of Peace to issue an arrest warrant for Gülen, citing illegality.

Turkey’s trampling of freedoms is Europe’s problem too

Johanna Vuorelma Today’s Turkey is not the same Turkey that I experienced 10 years ago when I first lived there. Those years were filled with optimism, greater civil liberties, significant steps towards democracy, a booming economy and international admiration. Universities had become spaces for critical debates, opening new channels for discussions about some of the […]

The tragic end of the witch hunt

Several claims and accusations have been voiced, and the Hizmet movement has been described as a gang and a “parallel structure,” Are these accusations based on concrete evidence? No. Fabricated news published by pro-government media outlets, unfounded accusations and slanderous claims that are legally null and void have been refuted one by one. However, the pro-government media does not care about this, since they do not care in the least about rights or the rule of law.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ethiopian President receives Ethio-Turkish schools delegation

Hizmet keeps school and cultural center in São Paulo

Egyptian scholar Muhammad Imara: Hira Magazine building bridges in Islamic world

Enforced Disappearance: Cases of Hizmet Movement members and International Law

GYV awards peace projects in İstanbul ceremony

Woman detained during visit to imprisoned husband on Valentine’s Day

Gulen Followers Living in Europe Receive Death Threats, Feel Intimidated

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News