Inspector candidate labeled ‘red’ by ministry confirms profiling reports


Date posted: February 21, 2014

ANKARA

A candidate inspector for the Ministry of Finance who learned from recent media reports that he had been profiled by the ministry on the basis of his family background has confirmed that the information disclosed by the media matches his personal information.

The candidate, who said he had failed all three oral exams in which he took part, said: “The grade by my name on the document, the references and all the information about my hometown completely match [my personal data]. I’m finished,” the candidate told Today’s Zaman.

Today’s Zaman contacted a candidate who, although he had achieved a good grade in the written exam, failed the later oral exams, allegedly because the candidate had been put on a “red list” by the ministry on the basis of his personal data.

The candidate did not want his name to be revealed, as he will sit two more oral exams to become a civil servant. “Am I not a citizen of this country?” the candidate, who sounded highly vexed, demanded to know.

Reports that appeared during the week in the Taraf daily demonstrated that the government has a recruitment policy based on “color lists” to avoid employing, in the public sector, people affiliated with certain groups, such as the Hizmet movement and the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP).

As well as sympathizers of the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, and the CHP, Kurds, Alevis, as Alevism is considered an unorthodox Muslim sect by some, nationalists and those who took part in the Gezi Park demonstrations are also placed on the “red list” indicating that the candidate should not be employed, according to the daily.

There are also blue and green lists, according to Taraf, of approved candidates, with blue lists consisting of candidates closely affiliated with the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and those who were “brought up” by the National Youth Foundation (MGV), an Islamic charity organization that organized youth activities and provided academic scholarships to students but was closed in the aftermath of the Feb. 28, 1997 coup due to concerns of rising religious fundamentalism. Candidates who are members of the İlim Yayma Cemiyeti, a religious association that may have close ties to the ruling party, are also on the blue list.

Public sector employees are hired after a two-stage process. In the first stage, candidates sit the State Personnel Examination (KPSS) and those who pass are invited to attend an oral examination. According to the daily, those who are not considered appropriate, as determined by the color lists, are eliminated in the second stage.

According to information provided by the candidate to Today’s Zaman, the candidate’s family contacted someone they know to act as a reference in the oral exam. Although the candidate got high grades in the three written examinations for public service, the candidate failed in all three oral exams.

While waiting to sit the other oral exams for the public sector job, the candidate was shocked when he saw the profiling document in the media. Both the candidate and the person whom the candidate presented as a reference were on the red list, according to the report. The candidate felt particularly sorry, because the reference person was profiled by the ministry based on information the candidate had provided. It was the candidate’s birthplace that the ministry’s document cited as the reason for his name being on the red list.

“Although I answered correctly almost all the questions in all oral exams [I attended], those who cannot answer any questions correctly pass, [while I was eliminated],” the candidate said.

The candidate plans to sue the ministry over the issue but will wait to see how he fares in the remaining two oral exams. If the candidate is also eliminated in these two, the candidate will bring the issue to court.

Taraf reports indicated that candidates were categorized with notes such as “registered in Diyarbakır,” a mainly Kurdish province, or “father’s name is Ali Haydar,” apparently based on the assumption that the candidate is Alevi.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 21, 2014


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer, Court of Appeals deny claims of AK Party official

“I think the ministry of justice went beyond its authority in making a change requiring the judges and prosecutors to inform the administration about investigations,” Akyol further added, urging everyone to keep the rule of law above political conflicts.

New York Times : Hundreds of Police Officers Reassigned in Turkey

Mr. Gulen’s followers vehemently deny claims that his adherents control state institutions. They argue that if his sympathizers are well represented within the police and judiciary, it is because they are well educated and highly qualified for their jobs.

What does Turkey deserve?

Once the remaining human capital exits Turkey, the country will be left to bigoted seculars and even more bigoted political Islamists. Given the shameful silence and support for the worst witch-hunt the country has ever witnessed, maybe this is what Turkey deserves: swaying between secular authoritarianism and popular Islamist dictatorship.

Erdoğan to US: What verdict? What court for terrorists?

Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan said during a reception before his departure from New York on Thursday that a court trial is not necessary for US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose teachings have inspired the Gülen movement, designated a terrorist organization and accused of plotting a failed coup in Turkey on July 15.

You are free to touch Hizmet movement

There are other journalists, very secular journalists who have denounced Fethullah Gülen and his movement, defined him as a CIA agent or a secret Christian, all sorts of things, but they have never been imprisoned.

Thousands in anti-corruption protests; Erdoğan defiant

Thousands took to the streets of İstanbul on Sunday to protest against the government over a corruption scandal that has led to multiple arrests, including sons of two ministers and general manager of the state-run Halkbank.
Twenty-four people, including the sons of two ministers and the head of state-owned Halkbank, have been formally charged in connection with the corruption inquiry that Erdoğan has called a “dirty operation” to undermine his rule.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Tunisian scholar Ghannouchi: Gülen promotes ‘noble Islam’

Turkey Concedes: No Evidence Linking Gulen to Coup Sent to Washington

Zaman University in Cambodia: a candle in the darkness

American students volunteer for Kimse Yok Mu aid campaign

Gülen movement discussed at EP in light of recent political developments in Turkey

Today’s Zaman offers condolences to families of mine victims

Democracy is vanishing in Turkey, specialist says

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News