Turkey’s Crackdown on Businesses Sparks Concern

FILE - The business and financial district of Levent, which comprises leading Turkish companies' headquarters and popular shopping malls, is seen from the Sapphire Tower in Istanbul, Turkey, May 3, 2016.
FILE - The business and financial district of Levent, which comprises leading Turkish companies' headquarters and popular shopping malls, is seen from the Sapphire Tower in Istanbul, Turkey, May 3, 2016.


Date posted: October 24, 2016

DORIAN JONES

The Turkish government crackdown that followed the failed July coup is expanding to businesses, with the assets of major multibillion-dollar conglomerates seized, along with hundreds of smaller companies.

Earlier this month, three of Turkey’s most prominent businessmen, the Boydak brothers, appeared in handcuffs at their mother’s funeral.

Their multibillion-dollar Boydak Holdings was seized and they were jailed, accused of being linked to U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the government blames for the coup attempt.

Istanbul-based political consultant Atilla Yesilada of Global Source Partners said Boydak’s seizure was part of a much wider crackdown on business.

Hundreds of companies

“So far, unofficial data [show] over 300 companies have been taken into receivership or administership, total assets roughly $15 billion. These are substantial numbers,” Yesilada said. “But once the prosecutors get their hands on one company and look through the accounts, they discover interlocking shareholder relationships that lead to other companies. My personal contacts in the banking industry tell me they have received orders to freeze all accounts of a substantial number of companies. So they have not really reached the bottom of barrel.”

Yesilada said the crackdown has not posed a systematic threat to the Turkish economy, with the country’s key businesses escaping investigation. Most of the companies seized have been taken by government decree under emergency powers.

Selin Sayek Boke, a former World Bank adviser who is now spokeswoman and deputy head of the main opposition Republican People’s Party, warned that the arbitrary seizures called into question the prospect of doing business in Turkey.

FILE - U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen at his home in Saylorsburg, Pa., July 29, 2016.

FILE – U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen at his home in Saylorsburg, Pa., July 29, 2016.

“If the rules of the market are rewritten by the day, then it creates a huge uncertainty. … We all know that private investment, domestic or foreign, only happens if it knows the rules of the game, if there is rule of law,” she said. “It is very difficult to speak of such an environment. Under such conditions, would you have investment in the country? You would not.”

Analysts said international long term investment in Turkey was in decline before July.

Disposal of assets

There are growing questions about how the seized companies will be disposed of, with allegations that many will be sold off to people with close links to the government and president — a charge the government strongly denies. Criticism is also growing over the lack of clarity on the rights of those owed money, or “payables,” by seized companies.

Yesilada said such ambiguity is leading to growing fear and suspicion in the business community.

“There is an intimidation factor. … The payables of a company would be delayed for a very long time, once it’s taken under receivership,” he said. “Any company suspected by rumors of being affiliated with Gulen immediately loses all supply credit and bank loans. So the impact is clearly substantial.”

It remains unclear how much Turkish banks are owed by the seized companies, but those liabilities are set to grow, with the government promising no end to the crackdown. Analysts warn that means more unemployment. An estimated 200,000 people already have lost jobs, about 1 percent of Turkey’s workforce.

Source: VOA , October 19, 2016


Related News

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links shortly after surgery

A woman in the southern Turkish province of Antalya who underwent surgery a month ago has been arrested on terrorism charges due to her alleged links to the Gülen movement.

Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization

The 2nd Criminal Court in the southern province of Hatay rejected an indictment prepared about the Fethullah Gülen Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), a term used by the Turkish government to describe the Gülen movement, saying that there is no such a terrorist organization officially identified.

Will Gülen Movement schools offer Kurdish-medium education?

Journalists and Writers Foundation Vice-President Cemal Ussak, regarding the Kurdish-medium education at the Gülen community schools in southeastern Turkey, said “It is a matter of course following the amendment to the current regulation.” Vice-president of Journalists and Writers Foundation, regarded as the institutional face of Gülen Movement, Cemal Ussak brought to minds the fact that the movement’s […]

OKC Thunder’s Enes Kanter laughs off being called a terrorist by Turkish government

OKC Thunder center Enes Kanter has been accused in Turkey of being a terrorist and has a warrant out for his arrest, according to a report from a pro-government Turkish newspaper.

The lethal and bitter aftermath of Turkey’s failed coup

The purge hurries Turkey on its way to what was already looking increasingly inevitable as its unfortunate destination: an illiberal executive presidency with a fading democratic lustre and Recep Tayyip Erdogan ruling more or less unchecked and unrivalled until he dies or steps down.

World Human Rights Day: Concerns On Hizmet Movement In 38 Countries Raised

The Coalition for the Protection of Rights and Justice (CPRJ) has raised concerns on the alleged move to clampdown on the Hizmet Movement in Nigeria and 37 other countries as a fallout of the July 15 coup in Turkey.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Deputy PM Bülent Arınç says row with Hizmet movement would do no good

US law professor has no doubt Gulen trial in Turkey was political

KCK, Gülen, AKP: shifting alliances?

Gülen has strongly rejected comparison to Iran’s Khomeini time and again

Of judges and coupists – Recent coup attempt in Turkey

Raindrop Turkish House Featured in New York Times

How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News