Parents criticize gov’t-led police raids on educational institutions

The private Kahramankent schools. (Photo: Cihan)
The private Kahramankent schools. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 31, 2015

ÖMER KEBELİ / KAHRAMANMARAŞ

A number of parents staged a protest on Friday against raids police carried out by the police on Thursday as part of a government-led operation against 26 private schools and educational institutions in Kahramanmaraş province that are inspired by the Gülen movement, a faith-based civil society movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The Cihan news agency reported on Thursday that police in Kahramanmaraş launched the operation after an anonymous complaint about tax fraud and said that digital data belonging to the institutions are being examined by the police. The police carried out simultaneous operations in the Afşin, Andırın, Elbistan, Göksun and Türkoğlu districts of Kahramanmaraş.

Gathering in front of a raided school that forms part of the Kahramankent Education Institutions chain on Thursday, dozens of parents protested the raids, saying that they will not prevent them from registering their children at these schools. One of the parents, M.T., told Today’s Zaman that the Kahramankent Education Institutions have been working selflessly for 30 years in the city, adding that Turkey has been suffering from terrorism and the way to fight against terrorism is to provide good-quality education for children.

Another parent, M.A., told Today’s Zaman that her two children attend a raided school and said that she condemned the police raids on the school.
Also speaking with Today’s Zaman, Kahramankent Education Institutions Chairman Fatih Zabun said that the raids on the schools were baseless and had been planned as a warning.

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has targeted people and institutions thought to be close to the Gülen movement in a series of operations since December 2013. Almost all of those detained in government-led operations have subsequently been released after a few days because the authorities fail to provide evidence proving that they had been involved in criminal activity.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims the Gülen movement tried and failed to carry out a coup attempt against him and his government in December 2013 and has waged a self-declared war against the movement.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 30, 2015


Related News

Prosecutor’s office launches investigation into Şahin’s claim

Şahin claimed that a high-level judge at the Supreme Court of Appeals had acted contrary to legal procedure and contacted Gülen before issuing his final verdict in the case against the businessman several years ago. “What should I do in this case?” asked the judge, according to the claims of the former justice minister. He went on to say that Gülen had allegedly told the judge to do “what justice requires.”

I see real patriotism in the Gülen movement

Serdar Turgut* 18 October 2011, Tuesday Patriotism, according to the ideology imposed on this country, was understood differently for me and people like me. In this approach, fighting against religious people was part of patriotism. Combating movements like the Gülen movement was imposed as a condition for patriotism. Many people believed these lies. When I […]

Journalist reveals inspiring story of Turkish schools in book

Ankara-based journalist Mesut Çevikalp has written a book about the little-known stories of Turkish schools opened by Turkish entrepreneurs in various parts of the world, including the moving and hardship-laden stories of education volunteers working at these schools, most of whom left a better life in Turkey with the hope of promoting universal values of peace, dialogue and peaceful coexistence with others.

Strange alignment of PKK and government against Hizmet

Close relations between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which began with a settlement process over the Kurdish issue, have deepened with a new alliance aimed at destroying the Hizmet movement.

NATO Secretary Rasmussen praises the Turkish schools in Afghanistan

NATO’s Secretary General and Denmark’s former Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen praised the Turkish schools in Afghanistan. Rasmussen, who came to Ankara the other day, during his meeting with the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, brought up this topic, and paid his complements to those schools. General secretary of NATO thanked Turkey for the […]

Turkish groups call for global peace at historic İstanbul meeting

Inspired by esteemed Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Turkish activists have established intercultural and interfaith organizations in more than 100 countries all around the world. The primary objective of these organizations is to encourage tolerance and build bridges across different ethnic and religious groups.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu helps the homeless after floods in Zimbabwe

Somali students say Turkey feels like home

‘Even deeper than 9/11’

The Mystery of Turkey’s Failed Coup

JWF strongly condemns this terrorist attack on the Charlie Hebdo

Another woman detained on coup charges one day after giving birth

Turkish PM Erdoğan launches another war [in Turkey]

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News