Top court annuls controversial law on prep school closure

Headquarters of the Constitutional Court in Ankara. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Ali Ünal)
Headquarters of the Constitutional Court in Ankara. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Ali Ünal)


Date posted: July 20, 2015

Turkey’s Constitutional Court has annulled a controversial law seeking to close down dershanes, or private preparatory schools, in a landmark ruling that will influence the lives and futures of millions of students, parents and teachers across the country.

As millions of students and parents were waiting for the ruling of the Constitutional Court, the court decided to annul the legislation via a majority vote on Monday. With the ruling, prep schools, which were planned to be completely closed down as of Sept. 1, 2015, will continue to operate.

The court is expected to announce its reasoned decision on Wednesday.

The Republican People’s Party (CHP) had filed an appeal with the Constitutional Court to annul the law last year. Critics of the law said the legislation goes against Article 2 of the Constitution, which lists the characteristics of the republic; Article 5, which describes the fundamental goals and tasks of the state; Article 10, which discusses equality; Article 13, which delves into restriction of fundamental rights and freedoms; Article 17, which says “everyone has the right to the protection and development of tangible and intangible assets”; Article 44, which says “no one can be deprived of education and training”; and Article 49, which lists the principles of nationalization and privatization.

Prep schools are private institutes that help students prepare for standardized high school and college entrance exams. There are concerns that the law, which is seen as a huge blow to free enterprise, could block upward mobility in Turkish society and leave some 55,000 people jobless.

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, in a surprise move, decided in November of 2013 to close down prep schools, stirring a massive debate. These schools, with their affordable fees, are regarded by middle or low-income families as an equalizer of educational opportunities.

The AK Party government’s bill banning privately owned university preparatory courses was passed by Parliament on March 7, 2014 and signed into law by then-President Abdullah Gül five days later. Under this law, all dershanes were to be shut down by Sept. 1 of this year. The main opposition CHP later challenged the law, saying it was a blow to the right to free enterprise.

The top court’s rapporteur had finalized a report on the issue but the court had not tackled the case and the legislation had remained pending before the court.

The top court had been expected to announce its ruling last Thursday but postponed it to Monday because a member of the court, Engin Yıldırım, had lost his mother and was absent.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 13, 2015


Related News

Report exposes death from torture of Turkish teacher in police custody

A new report from the Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) titled “Tortured to Death” exposes the case of 42-year-old history teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu. The report details every day he was kept in custody, where he was repeatedly beaten. The government documents, medical reports, independent opinions and witness statements obtained by SCF show his death was not due to natural causes.

Egypt’s Turkish schools reject Akşam and A Haber TV reports

The administration of the Turkish Salahaldin International Schools based in Egypt has sent a correction to the Akşam daily and A Haber TV station, stating that two recent reports about Turkish schools in Egypt appearing in the pro-government media outlets were baseless and false.

OKC Thunder’s Enes Kanter laughs off being called a terrorist by Turkish government

OKC Thunder center Enes Kanter has been accused in Turkey of being a terrorist and has a warrant out for his arrest, according to a report from a pro-government Turkish newspaper.

Main opposition deputy head slams gov’t for targeting Hizmet Movement

Republican People’s Party (CHP) Deputy Chairman Faruk Loğoğlu criticized government, which signaled Hizmet Movement should be included in “Red Book,” a national security document in which major threats against the nation are enumerated, on Thursday.

Turkish president approves closure of schools run by Erdogan rival

Turkish President Abdullah Gul approved on Wednesday a law closing private preparatory schools, many of which are a source of income and influence for an Islamic cleric accused by Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan of seeking to topple him.

Police officers become victims of torture in Turkey

The families of several Turkish police officers, rounded up as part of the crackdown on the Gulen community, have sought help from human rights activists in a rare example of willingness to speak out on torture allegations that have been rife since the coup attempt last year.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

GYV President meets Minister of Gender Equality and Family of the Republic of Korea

Pro-Erdoğan journalists call for assassination of Gülen followers abroad

Fethullah Gülen’s dialogue and tolerance discourse parallels Gandhi’s

Kurdish intellectuals denounce attack on Şırnak educational institution

Kimse Yok Mu organizes international cartoon competition: ‘Refugees’

Armed with automatic rifles, Turkish authorities raid Gülen-linked schools

Turkey arrests Fethullah Gulen’s barber from 26 years ago

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News