Opposition asks for parliamentary session on MİT wiretapping


Date posted: January 16, 2014

İSTANBUL
Opposition parties have asked for a parliamentary session to address wiretappings carried out by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), following the emergence on the Internet of audio recordings of influential social figures.

The request comes amid the release of illegal wiretapped phone conversations of key social and political figures on social media and Internet sites in recent days, leading to concerns over the privacy of individuals.

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen will file a criminal complaint against those responsible for the illegal wiretapping of his phone conversations, Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said in a written statement on Tuesday.

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Ferit Mevlüt Aslanoğlu called for a parliamentary session to inform the deputies about the technical details of wiretapping.

Accusing MİT of being behind the illegal wiretapping, opposition deputies called for strict measures to ensure the privacy of individuals and their right to communication without outside interference or wiretapping.

The issue has become a source of friction between the government and opposition parties given efforts by the ruling party to introduce a new Internet law, a move that has stirred concerns over Internet freedom and arbitrary intervention by state officials.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 16, 2014


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer asks MİT whether it wiretapped client’s phone

Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak, who represents Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has asked in a petition to the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) whether allegations suggesting Gülen’s phones had been wiretapped by the organization are true.

Stay course in Gulen case

Ever since the failed July 15 coup attempt against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, his government has applied all of the pressure it can muster to extradite exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen.

Fethullah Gulen’s opinion on Turkey today

“As the coup attempt unfolded, I fiercely denounced it and denied any involvement,” wrote Gulen, who has been living in self-exile in the US since 1999. “Furthermore, I said that anyone who participated in the putsch betrayed my ideals. Nevertheless, and without evidence, Erdogan immediately accused me of orchestrating it from 5,000 miles away.

Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

In an exclusive interview with Al Arabiya News Channel, Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen said he was confident that the United States will not extradite him. “The United States has a reputation in the world as a country that upholds the rule of law. So I trust they will follow the proper procedures,” Gulen told Al Arabiya’s New York Bureau Chief Talal al-Haj.

Police raid prominent journalists’ foundation GYV in Turkey

GYV’s members strongly protested the police measure. Underlining that the raid violated standard protocol, high-ranking GYV official Recep Usta expressed; “the protocol states that VGM technical teams can come to the building and conduct examinations; and should they find any violation, a period of a month is granted to us [to fix any issues].

The Gülen community and the AKP

TAHA AKYOL The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), which is in line with Fethullah Gülen, has issued an announcement on relations with the ruling party. It is certain that Gülen made the last retouches on the text himself. Gülen defines the movement shortly as “Hizmet” (translated roughly as “service” in English). I asked those who […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Truth and reconciliation in post-Erdoğan era

Minister Çelik supports Gülen’s call for Alevi-Sunni brotherhood

Gulen Followers Living in Europe Receive Death Threats, Feel Intimidated

Gülen condemns Reyhanlı attack as ‘villainy’

After The Coup Attempt, A Crackdown In Turkey

Scholars stress need for dialogue, cooperation to solve global issues

Turkish Schools in Niger

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News