Daily: Gov’t, watchdog attempted to sink Bank Asya

Bank Asya
Bank Asya


Date posted: January 12, 2014

İSTANBUL
The Turkish government and the country’s banking watchdog were aware of and supported a recent defamation campaign allegedly aimed at sinking the country’s leading participation bank, the Taraf daily reported on Sunday.

The head of the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (BDDK), Mukim Öztekin, personally backed the defamation campaign against Bank Asya while top government figures encouraged an alleged operation involving the media and major public and private companies, Taraf said. According to the daily, Öztekin illegally shared a list of top Bank Asya depositors with senior government officials. Motivated by an initiative led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to target the Hizmet movement, which the bank is affiliated with, the paper said Öztekin and ruling party members forced top state-run banks and some leading private-owned businesses to withdraw their cash from Bank Asya. Erdoğan publicly denounced and branded the Hizmet movement as a “parallel state” after saying he believed that police and prosecutors affiliated with the movement were forced to launch an ongoing corruption probe that encircled the 11-year-old ruling government.

Taraf reported that some big companies, including national flag carrier Turkish Airlines (THY), withdrew millions of liras from Bank Asya accounts. The bank, which is under threat of being handed over to the state since it cannot meet the capital adequacy figures, was provided with extra cash by other large companies. The paper puts the amount deposited at the bank as high as TL 1 billion. Taraf said Öztekin believed Bank Asya would declare bankruptcy last Friday due to intense pressure from the government and that Erdoğan was informed the bank would do so. The new deposits, however, helped save the bank.

The daily’s report also claimed that Deputy Prime Minister Ali Babacan intervened and said he would not approve any move made to hand over the bank to the Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) in the event that it went bankrupt.

A wave of turbulence hit Turkey’s domestic finance market — in which 11 banks went bankrupt in 2001. The bankruptcies were triggered by the failing of some smaller banks, which later created an avalanche that caused bigger banks to go bankrupt.

Bank Asya has already filed a criminal complaint against those newspapers that allegedly launched the smear campaign. The media reports accused Bank Asya of manipulation in the stock exchange.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 12, 2014


Related News

Romanian appeals court denies Turkey’s request for extradition of Erdoğan critic

The Bucharest Court of Appeal has denied the extradition of educator Fatih Gürsoy on dubious terrorism charges brought by the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and underlined the fact that the Lumina Educational Institutions “operates according to the Romanian law.”

Peshawar High Court halts government order to deport Pak-Turk school staff

Petitioner counsel Qazi Muhammad Anwar argued that all the Turkish teachers are very peaceful people who have committed no crime in Turkey as well as here in Pakistan.” He prayed the bench to suspend the federal government’s notice and stop deportation of the Turkish teachers and their families. The bench accepted the request and restrained the deportation of Pak-Turk schools’ staff.

Turkey’s extradition adventure undermined Kosovan rule of law – Expert

Turkey’s operation to abduct six Turkish citizens from Kosovo last week reinforced the image of a country “acting outside the bounds of normal behaviour” for an EU candidate and NATO member country, according Freedom House project director Nate Schenkkan.

PM’s discourse over ‘no family, children’ offensive, hurtful

On Feb. 23, Prime Minister Erdoğan targeted Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Chairman Devlet Bahçeli due to his criticism of the government in the ongoing corruption investigation, saying: “He does not have any concept of family. He has no such concern. We know what children mean,” in an obvious reference to Bahçeli’s unmarried status.

76 newborns stateless as Turkey denies passports over parents’ Gülen links

Seventy-six babies have been born stateless in the last three months because Turkish diplomatic missions are denying consular services to people allegedly linked to the faith-based Gülen movement according to a report released by the Netherlands-based Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion (ISI) on Monday.

Erdoğan’s Religious Guide Approved Torture And Abuse In Turkey

Turkish president’s chief religious counsel Hayrettin Karaman, professor of Islamic law, has given approval to overlook torture and other crimes committed by members of security services, saying that Turkey is at total mobilization and under attack from within and outside.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Awards from Romanian Prime Minister to Turkish School Students

The Hizmet Movement: Reflections from Sri Lanka

Gradual transformation of Turkey into an authoritarian entity under Erdogan’s leadership

Take protests seriously, work to solve problems, Fethullah Gülen urges

Gulen sympathizer stabbed by pro-Erdogan relative in Belgium

Report: Police chief sets up teams to torture post-coup detainees

Fethullah Gulen’s Message on the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News