TV station won’t cover AK Party events due to harassment of reporter


Date posted: December 30, 2013

İSTANBUL
A national TV station announced on Monday that it will no longer send reporters to Justice and Development Party (AK Party) rallies after one of their reporters was harassed by party supporters on Friday during the party rally organized to welcome Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at İstanbul Atatürk Airport.

Nilay Karakaş a reporter with Kanaltürk TV, which belongs to the İpek Media Group that has been critical of the government’s stance in the recent corruption probe that has rocked the country since Dec. 17, was verbally attacked during her live coverage of the AK Party rally. The young reporter and cameraman Yasin Kamaloğlu abruptly cut the broadcast and left the scene out of concern for their safety.

Following the incident, Tarık Toros, the editor-in-chief of Bugün TV, also of the same media group, announced in his column in the Bugün daily that the İpek Media Group will no longer attend similar governing party events due to the lack of security and direct threat to its employees. According to Toros, Karakaş was targeted with severe profanity while she was simply trying to do her job like any other reporter on the scene.

Speaking with Today’s Zaman, Toros said that they notified AK Party spokesperson Hüseyin Çelik about the incident, but they had as yet heard nothing from the party. According to Toros, increasing tension and attacks directed at the media are a result of the sharp rhetoric of the prime minister. “This is a direct reflection of what is spoken at the podium to the masses,” he commented, and he described the general trend as worrisome. Toros also criticized the prime minister for not displaying any disapproval of the young male AK Party members who wore shrouds at another event as a demonstration of their commitment to Erdoğan.

“It is not just about our reporter and the harassment she experienced, but about the increasing polarization in society,” Toros added, expressing his growing concerns about the state of the media-government relations in Turkey.

Toros also noted that the incident of harassment took place even though the news team had removed the logo from their equipment in fear of reaction from the AK Party crowd due to their recent critical coverage.

Pro-government paper sacks columnist

Meanwhile, a columnist from the pro-government Yeni Şafak, Osman Özsoy, has left his position and he hinted on his Twitter account on Monday that there had been government pressure on the newspaper to fire him.

After announcing that he had been notified by the newspaper of a decision to cancel his column, Özsoy tweeted, “It is not difficult to guess that there was motivation from beyond the newspaper administration that led to this.”

He added that disparaging former companions because they have parted ways due to a disagreement as the prime minister has done does not suit his character.

Özsoy also said these kinds of incidents are “not a period but a comma” and that the most important thing is that the “nation is walking toward the future.”

In his column published on Dec. 24 in Yeni Şafak, Özsoy tried to justify Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen‘s “conditional curse” on those who are trying to cover up the corruption investigation and dismissed attacks on Gülen for being an Islamic scholar and cursing people.

He also posted several tweets in the past few days criticizing the government’s intervention in the judiciary and slamming the defamation of Gülen.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 30, 2013


Related News

Kurdish intellectuals denounce attack on Şırnak educational institution

24 April 2012 / AYTEN ÇİFTÇİ/ALİ GÜVEN, İSTANBUL/ŞIRNAK Kurdish intellectuals have joined critics of a suspected outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) attack on a building, which hosts a private university prep course in Şırnak on Saturday, saying the masterminds of such attacks will not achieve their goals. The building, where weekend and evening courses to […]

Bridge-building in ‘enemy country’ – Story of a Turkish asylum seeker in Greece

Erdogan’s aggressive policies, which have driven many Turks into exile, seem to have had an unintentional side-effect. “A bridge is being built between Turks and Greeks,” the English teacher says. “We’re learning to overcome prejudices and historical misunderstandings.”

Abant participants: Turkey needs EU support to improve its democracy

24 June 2012 / YONCA POYRAZ DOĞAN, ABANT No matter the problems related to the European Union’s historical financial crisis and Turkey’s loss of enthusiasm regarding membership in the EU; participants of the 27th Abant meeting, titled “Different Perspectives on Turkey,” have said that Turkey needs the EU in order to improve its fragile democracy. […]

Gülen movement-backed Abant Platform to discuss Alevi-Sunni ties

The Alevi issue is the key theme of this year’s Abant Platform, which started on Dec. 13 by way of the organization efforts of the Gülen Movement-affiliated Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV). The three-day meeting which has gathered intellectuals from various ideological camps came at a time when tension between the government and the movement has become extremely visible in the eyes of the public due to the former’s plans of “transforming” the private “cram schools.”

Erzurum people call Minister Ala to apologize Gülen for his remarks

Gülen is highly respected both in Turkey and in many countries around the world for educational activities he has pioneered, along with his efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the globe. He is in self-imposed exile in the US, though there is no legal hurdle that prevents him from returning to Turkey.

Turkish Olympiad raises hopes for world peace

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL Students who have arrived in Turkey from countries around the world for the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, which is a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and has brought together 2,000 students from 140 different countries this year, are building strong ties and lasting friendships and in turn raising hopes for world […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Critics of Turkey’s president across Europe tell of threats

Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

Turkey’s post-revolutionary civil war

Erdogan’s bid to close Gulen schools in Africa opposed

Turkmen Alevite Association and Kimse Yok Mu distribute aid to 1840 families in Ramadan

Pro-gov’t media continues smear campaign against Hizmet movement

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News