Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: October 10, 2013

Ihsan Yilmaz

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent.

It seems that even some members of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) believed in this extravagant conspiracy theory. In a country where we have had a military coup every 10 years, it was surprising that these people could argue so firmly that the defendants would never attempt to stage a coup against a government they openly despised. Nonetheless, the 9th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals on Wednesday announced its ruling in the appeal of the Sledgehammer coup plot trial, upholding the convictions of 237 defendants, including retired Gen. Çetin Doğan.

As Today’s Zaman reported on Wednesday, the court overturned the convictions of 63 defendants, while the prison sentences of 237 defendants, including retired Gen. Çetin Doğan, were upheld. Explaining its grounds for overturning the convictions of 63 defendants, the high court said they should have been charged with membership in a criminal organization instead of a failed coup attempt. Among the defendants for whom the high court upheld prison sentences were Generals Halil İbrahim Fırtına, Özden Örnek, Nejat Bek, Bilgin Balanlı, Şükrü Sarıışık, Dursun Çiçek and Süha Tanyeri. During the 17th hearing in August, which was reportedly the longest in the Supreme Court of Appeals’ history, 96 defense lawyers made statements for nearly 120 hours on behalf of 361 indicted individuals in which they claimed to have digital evidence that suggested the basis for the case had been faked.

Sledgehammer is an alleged coup plot created at a military gathering in 2003. According to the plan, the military was to systematically foment chaos in society through violent acts, among which were planned bomb attacks on the Fatih and Beyazıt mosques in İstanbul. The plot sought to undermine the government, laying the groundwork for a military takeover. Thus, the suspects were accused of a failed attempt to overthrow the government. The Sledgehammer documents formed the basis of a presentation given by Doğan during a military conference from March 5-7, 2003, held at the Selimiye barracks. According to the court, the conference, part of a series of regular “war seminars” in which military officers brainstormed case studies, was far from a “routine scenario” and in fact involved a plan for a coup d’état. Retired Gen. Doğan, speaking at the Selimiye seminar, reportedly said Article 35 of the Internal Service Code gives the military sufficient authority to perform a coup.

The Sledgehammer defendants have consistently argued that the police and lower courts were “infiltrated” by supporters of the Hizmet movement, and that this movement targeted them. They also claimed that all these “lies” and “fabrications” would be detected by the Supreme Court of Appeals, which has older judges who were appointed long before the AKP’s rise to power. As is well known, the supreme courts are the castles of the Kemalist oligarchy, and citizens from practicing Muslim backgrounds would never be appointed to positions at them. It is now clear that the defendants have always stuck to the maxim “never underestimate the power of denial.” Yet, the Supreme Court of Appeals looked at the concrete evidence, not their scenarios and conspiracy theories.

Many people now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement, and these people include some of our conservative-democrat or liberal-democrat friends, colleagues and columnists who implied that the movement was behind some conspiracy against these defendants. It is impossible to forget how some of them recited verses from the Quran, reminding the movement to be just.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 9, 2013


Related News

Turkish police detain 35 lawyers for ‘defending’ Gülen sympathizers

This latest move against the Gulen sympathizers is a violation of a basic right of the suspects, who are still legally innocent until proven guilty, to defend themselves at the courts. It is clear that Erdogan regime leaves the suspects no room to defend themselves at the courts.

The Hizmet movement and participatory democracy

The Hizmet movement’s objections make an important contribution to the formation of participatory democracy in Turkey. So far, Turkish democracy was a game among political parties in the absence of a strong civil society and market actors.

Businessmen voice frustration over smear campaign against Hizmet

The Akşehir Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (AKSİAD) has condemned an ongoing defamation campaign being conducted against the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling on government officials to refrain from the hate speech and polarizing rhetoric that are damaging the society.

Turks in America condemn unlawful government action during the corruption probe

The statement read that the language of hatred, violations of the law, intervention in the political process and the defamation of different segments of Turkish society “not only harm the Turkish democracy and Turkey, but also the international image and prestige of the country.”

Pregnant with twins, Kocaeli woman detained during control at hospital

Nuriye Yalcin, a Kocaeli woman who is expected to deliver twin babies in 4.5 months was detained during a regular medical control at Izmit Medical Park Hospital on Tuesday.

Disabled teacher, husband removed from job as brothers under arrest

Fatma Koyun, a teacher with an 82 percent physical disability who was dismissed from his job as part of a post-coup investigation, says her husband as well as her brothers have been under arrest for months.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hopefully the Gulen movement will help change the American values

We make peace with ourselves as we integrate with the world

As I researched the Gulen schools in Germany, I experienced beyond what I had expected

İstanbul hosts dialogue leaders to discuss tolerance in education

‘The World is one family’: Students from around the world extend peace message at international culture festival

Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

Erdoğan’s ‘Reichstag fire’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News