Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Sri Lanka Explosions


Date posted: April 22, 2019

I was shocked and deeply saddened by the devastating news of explosions in Sri Lanka that killed more than 200 and left at least 450 wounded. I firmly condemn this horrific attack, which turned a day meant for the celebration of Easter by Christians around the world into bloodshed. 

Nobody should have any doubt that these senseless attacks are not aimed at Sri Lankan people or Christians, but at all humanity. They are meant to add another incident to the cycle of violence that target peace, tranquility and solidarity of humanity.

In the wake of this heartbreaking tragedy, we should remember that every human is created with dignity by God and every human life is equally valuable. I hope and pray that this tragic incident urges us to foster dialogue, mutual respect and internalization of our common humanity, and rehabilitate those whose lives are driven by hate. I also hope and pray that humanity can come together to marginalize and eventually root out all totalitarian ideologies that use violence as a weapon. 

I extend my heartfelt condolences to families and relatives of the victims and to the people of Sri Lanka and offer my prayers for fast recovery to those who were wounded. I pray to God that people will be able to congregate in places of worship and join in celebration without fear of being targeted, and this tragic incident becomes a distant memory in the pages of history without being repeated.

— Fethullah Gülen

Source: Alliance for Shared Values , April 21, 2019


Related News

Why Gulen Should Not Be Extradited

To extradite Gulen would not only imply a high chance of an unfair trial, but would also sound the death knell of a blueprint for global peace. Gulen’s ideas have all the potential for a global approach to peace-building. John L. Esposito, a professor at Georgetown University and a highly respected expert on Islam, called Gulen’s initiatives “extraordinarily unique”, and suggested it would be “wise” for other Muslim movements to emulate them.

Editorial: Expulsion of Turk Teachers from Pakistan

The point is that Turkish teachers have not committed any crime in Pakistan. Abrupt exodus of those teachers would destroy teaching system in Pak-Turk schools in Pakistan. Nawaz Sharif should have considered the interest of citizens of Pakistan before submitting to unfair requests of Turkish government.

Standing by the Education Rights of Schoolgirls

Influential Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, who is considered by TIME magazine as “the most potent advocate of moderation in the Muslim world,” has strongly condemned the kidnappings in Nigeria as well as other such violent acts. In an interview he said that denying girls access to education simply goes against the spirit of the Muslim religious tradition and that women should be able to take on every role in our society, including those of physicians, military officers, judges and head of state.

U.S. Not Persuaded to Extradite Fethullah Gulen Over Turkey Coup

Officials aren’t convinced by evidence against Fethullah Gulen, Pennsylvania-based imam who Turkey says masterminded the failed putsch. U.S. officials don’t expect to extradite an imam Turkey blames for masterminding a failed coup because they aren’t convinced by the evidence Ankara has presented so far and are troubled by threatening public statements from Turkish officials, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Kurdistan Regional Gov’t: Gulen-inspired schools will not be closed

There are 20 schools serving to 12,719 students in Northern Iraq Kurdish Region. Kurdistan Regional Government announced that the 20 schools affiliated with the Gulen movement will not be shut down. There were rumors in the media, in the aftermath of the coup attempt on July 15, about the closure of the Gulen inspired schools.

Gülen: purge of public officials seems ‘arbitrary’

The Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who has inspired the popular civic and social Hizmet (Service) movement, has said that the reassignment of thousands of public officials from their posts without any disciplinary procedures following the Dec. 17, 2013 corruption scandal seems to have been conducted on an arbitrary basis.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Attacking the Journalists and Writers Foundation

İstanbul’s global summit secures deals worth millions

Why was Mr. Gulen’s name brought up in the coup attempt in Turkey?

Can resurrecting the caliphate solve Muslims’ problems?

AFSV Statement on Temporary US Travel and Immigration Ban

President Zuma sends message to the South African – Turkish Business Association Business Awards

Donate your qurban, bring joy to families in need

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News