Informant on Gülen movement members says he fabricated testimony to avoid jail time


Date posted: January 10, 2019

İbrahim Demirtaş, a major in the Turkish military who testified as an informant in investigations into sympathizers of the faith-based Gülen movement, has admitted that his statements were false and made in order to avoid prosecution and jail time.

The Kronos news site reported the story on Thursday, saying that after testifying as an informant during his detention in the wake of a failed coup attempt in July 2016, Demirtaş disappeared only to send a statement to the prosecutor’s offices in Ankara and Erzurum confessing that he had fabricated allegations against people who were the subjects of a crackdown against the Gülen movement.

The government holds the Gülen movement responsible for the failed coup, although the movement denies any involvement. Tens of thousands of real and perceived supporters of the movement are being prosecuted for the most elementary links to the movement on coup charges.

Following the confession, a criminal case against the major and his wife Fatma Demirtaş was launched in Erzurum for alleged membership in a terrorist organization demanding up to 15 years in prison.

The couple had previously been detained and released only after Maj. Demirtaş agreed to become an informant. In his fabricated testimony, Demirtaş said that as a member of the military, he kept in touch with the “imams” of the Gülen movement and provided them information about the unit in which he was serving. The government had been claiming even before the abortive putsch that the movement was acting as a “parallel structure” within the state by infiltrating state institutions.

The major’s code name as an informant was “Albatros,” and he provided information on people’s links to the Gülen movement.

Source: Turkish Minute , January 10, 2019


Related News

‘Turkey has become dangerous for us’: Failed coup has some seeking asylum here

They seemed an utterly normal family and yet were scared to publicly reveal their names. They came from Turkey, where a coup attempt in July led to a government sweep of mass arrests and firings. Targeted with particular suspicion: anyone affiliated with a popular movement known for its schools, good works, pro-Western brand of Islam and perceived elusiveness.

The Shadow Politics of Shadow Education

It is no secret that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has grown wary of the so-called Gulen movement, a faith-based network centered on the charismatic preacher Fethullah Gulen that promotes a mild and modern understanding of Islam. Started in the 1960s, it now runs or influences, through its adherents, a large network of businesses, think tanks, newspapers and television stations — as well as a successful chain of tutorial colleges and private schools.

Wife of ‘Gülen school manager’ detained in Tbilisi asks for protection

The family of Mustafa Emre Çabuk, a manager at the Private Demirel College who was detained in Tbilisi on Turkey’s request, is asking for protection from Georgia’s State Security Service, after receiving several threats on social media with Turkish names.

The dangers of demonization [of Hizmet movement]

Government supporters have accused the Hizmet movement of aiming to discredit a number of ministers and their relatives. The claim relates to a recent investigation into alleged bribery in public tenders, which saw the sons of three Cabinet ministers taken into custody alongside construction moguls and bureaucrats.

Fethullah Gülen Reiterates No Involvement In Turkey’s Controversial Coup Attempt

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied once more Turkish authorities’ accusations of masterminding a controversial coup bid in Turkey last year, in interviews with the Reuters and the US’s National Public Radio (NPR), saying he has always stood against all coups.

EU report expresses concern about purge against Gülen movement

The progress report on Turkey that was issued on Wednesday by the European Commission expressed concern over the Turkish government’s purge against Gülen movement members, saying “any allegation of wrongdoing needs to be examined with due process, transparent procedures, and the right of every individual to a fair trial or equitable administrative process should be safeguarded.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Steller: For Turks, post-coup purges make U.S. safe harbor

Fethullah Gulen’s brother detained in Erdogan’s ongoing crackdown after coup

Turkish Civil society groups: Lack of hate crimes legislation hurts citizens

Gülen’s lawyers slam Erdoğan’s ‘slanderous’ unsolved murders remarks

Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Gulen movement aimed at consolidating his own power and regime

Al-Jazeera: Turkish probe marks AKP-Gulen power struggle

Detained Woman Covers 50 Km Twice A Day To Feed One-Year Old Baby In Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News