Six Turks arrested in Kosovo over Gulen links extradited to Turkey

Mehmet Akif College, high school, in Kosovo
Mehmet Akif College, high school, in Kosovo


Date posted: March 29, 2018

ISTANBUL/PRISTINA (Reuters) – Six Turkish nationals arrested in Kosovo over links to schools financed by the Fethullah Gulen movement that Ankara blames for a failed 2016 coup have been extradited to Turkey, Turkish state-run news agency Anadolu said on Thursday.

The Kosovo Interior Ministry said the residence permits of the six had been revoked after their arrest for “security reasons,” but did not elaborate. Anadolu said the six were now in Turkish custody.

Anadolu identified the six people as Cihan Ozkan, Kahraman Demirez, Hasan Huseyin Gunakan, Mustafa Erdem, Osman Karakaya and Yusuf Karabina, and said all were “senior members” of Gulen’s network.

It said the six were responsible for recruitment in Gulen’s network and helping those in Turkey leave the country amid a security crackdown in which tens of thousands of people have been sacked from their jobs or jailed over alleged Gulen links.

Ankara accuses Gulen, a U.S.-based Muslim cleric, of orchestrating the July 15, 2016 coup attempt, and has declared his movement a terrorist organization. He denies any connection with the abortive putsch.

At its peak, the Gulen movement operated schools in 160 countries, from Afghanistan to the United States. Since the coup attempt, Turkey has pressured allies to shut down Gulen-run establishments.

“We have been facing enormous pressure from the Turkish authorities in the past weeks to take actions against Gulen schools and their staff,” a Kosovo government senior official told Reuters in condition of anonymity.

Authorities in Kosovo, whose population is mainly Muslim, said earlier there no plans to shut down Gulen schools.

Turkey is a major supporter of impoverished Kosovo, which declared independence from Serbia in 2008, and Turkish firms run the tiny Balkan country’s sole airport and electricity network, and are building two highways worth around $2 billion.

In Sarajevo, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said after a meeting with his Bosnian counterpart that more action should be taken against Gulen’s followers there, “especially in the sectors of education and business, and (we) want (Bosnia’s) continuous support for the solution of this problem”.

Bosnian Prime Minister Denis Zvizdic said his country would continue to cooperate with Turkey to prevent “any activity that may endanger Bosnia’s stability or its relations with Turkey”.

Bosnia has taken no concrete steps against the schools believed to be financed by the Gulen’s network, but some Turkish teachers have left the country under political pressure since the coup attempt.

 

Source: Reuters , March 29, 2018


Related News

I feel fooled, upset, hurt

Recent statements by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan aired by the ATV TV station upset, surprised and hurt me. I felt fooled and surprised, because despite the decision made by the Cabinet two days ago, the prime minister made a clear statement: “There is no way back. The draft will be reviewed.” Everybody is taking a test now; only our Islamic attitude, stance, love, tolerance, humility and style will save us.

What does religion have to do with corruption?

The ongoing graft investigation, which hit the press on Dec. 17 with a major police operation resulting in the arrest of 24 suspects — including prominent business figures and the sons of two ministers — sparked a public discussion on the links between politics and Islam, as a majority of the members of the ruling party present themselves as devout Muslims.

Scores of students march to Pristina airport after learning Gülen teachers not yet deported

Scores of students marched to Pristina airport after finding out that six Turkish nationals who were arrested early on Thursday had not yet been deported.

Erdoğan calls for expanded witch hunt against Gülen followers

Having purged more than 150,000 people from state jobs and jailed over 50,000 due to alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Sunday called on people to inform on activities of Gülen followers, saying that if they fail to do so, they will be held responsible.

CHP Adana deputy lends support to mosque-cemevi project

Yet another figure from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), Adana deputy Turgay Develi, has expressed his support for the first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project launched in Ankara last week. The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever mosque-cemevi cultural center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8 with the participation of a number of government figures, Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

Gulen factor in Turkey’s turmoil

Gulen Movement is a unique case of global social innovation based on the sanctity of education and inter-faith dialogue in a number of respects.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Twelve questions Turkey’s journalists can’t ask

Kosovo investigates seizure of Turkish nationals

Turkey urges KRG to consider Gulen Movement a “Terrorist Organization”

Canadian Globe Editorial- It just gets worse in Turkey

Erdoğan’s ‘enemies’ find sanctuary in Greece

76 newborns stateless as Turkey denies passports over parents’ Gülen links

Reuters interview Gulen, he says he would not flee U.S. to avoid extradition to Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News