Pro-gov’t journalist says jailed Gulenists should be forced to commit suicide


Date posted: March 26, 2018

Pro-government journalist and writer Fazıl Duygun has called on authorities to force people jailed over their links to the Gulen movement to commit suicide.

“FETO supporters should be forced in an appropriate way to commit suicide. Because these vile people do not seem to behave sensibly unless they die,” he tweeted on March 26.

Duygun’s Twitter account was suspended later in the day but he has said he is going to continue tweeting via another handle.

Turkish government blames the Gulen movement and calls it FETO, short for the alleged Fethullahist Terror Group.

The movement denies involvement in the coup and any terror activities.

More than 160,000 people have passed through police custody, of which 60,000 were remanded in prison pending trial over Gulen links since the summer of 2016.

According to a 2017 report by the Sweden-based monitoring group Stockholm Freedom Center (SCF), at least 53 people killed themselves both in and outside of prisons in what it calls suspicious suicides, in the aftermath of the July 15, 2016 failed coup.

The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide, shedding doubt on the official narrative. Rumors also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody.

Source: Turkey Purge , March 26, 2018


Related News

Extradition of Turkish Citizens: Moldova to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations

Almost one year has passed since seven Turkish citizens working at a high school were extradited from the Republic of Moldova. Since then, their case was brought before the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) and Moldova was forced to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations.

Germany Accuses Turkey Of ‘Unacceptable’ Spying Against Gülen Supporters

Boris Pistorius, the Interior Minister for Lower Saxony State of Germany, has accused Turkey of carrying out “unacceptable” spying on its soil. It is accused of conducting espionage in more than 200 associations and schools linked to supporters of Fethullah Gülen. Pistorius said the move was “intolerable and unacceptable.”

Turkish nationals in Bangladesh living in fear

In a recent press conference, Ambassador Devrim Öztürk claimed that some Turkish nationals in Dhaka, in particular those working at the Turkish Hope School, were involved with what he called the Gülenist Terror Organisation (FETÖ). Foreign Ministry officials who spoke to the Dhaka Tribune said they saw the ambassador’s request as a violation of diplomatic norms.

Deporting Gülen would undercut NATO

Sacrificing Gülen, however, will not bring Turkey in from the cold. While the pretext might have been rooting out Gülen’s followers, the reality is that Erdogan has used the purge to target secularists, liberals, and those officers whose training and experience in NATO he believes make them prone to oppose his vision and goals for Turkey.

‘State of rule of law suspended in Turkey, if not completely eliminated’

I’ve been in the military judiciary for years and I haven’t observed anything like it [“parallel state” in regards to the Hizmet movement], and I haven’t observed it in the civilian judiciary, either.

A Prayer for the victims of Turkey from Nigeria

God in heaven, I pray for the hundreds of thousands of Kurds, Alevis, Hizmet movement participants and minority Christians languishing in Turkish prisons for no justifiable reason.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

Erdoğan calls on people to show no mercy to Gülen movement

Diplomatic Row over Gulen Influence in Africa

What’s Friendship Got to Do With [Mr. Gulen’s] Extradition?

Gülen’s views, concern for Kurdish problem nothing new, report shows

Erdoğan hampers girls’ education [by shutting down prep schools run by the Hizmet movement]

Gulen Movement, civilian governments and the AK Party

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News