Construction of Turkish hospital in Haiti begins


Date posted: December 22, 2010

Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), a Turkish charitable association, has laid the foundation for a 46-bed hospital in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince’s Croix-des-Bouquets district, which has a population of 500,000.

An estimated 200,000 people died in Haiti, one of the poorest countries in the world, in January when a magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck. Hunger and health problems were among the biggest problems on this island nation even before the quake, but more serious issues emerged in its aftermath as most parts of the capital were reduced to rubble.

Kimse Yok Mu extended a helping hand to Haiti’s quake victims and launched an aid campaign titled “Haiti Waits for Emergency Help” to collect donations to help victims of the devastating quake. The association distributes food to 2,000 Haitians every day and has carried out 10,000 health screenings so far.

The association, which aimed to provide long-term and permanent assistance to the country, made the decision to construct a hospital and two schools in the country. The hospital’s foundation was laid on Monday in a groundbreaking ceremony attended by top Haitian officials.

Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Samsun deputy Binnur Şahinoğlu and Kimse Yok Mu President Mehmet Özkara as well as dozens of businessmen who were scheduled to go to Haiti from the US were unable to attend because the international airport in the capital was closed following violent protests that came after preliminary presidential election results were announced, but are widely considered suspect.

Özkara delivered a message at the ceremony in which he said Turks would continue to extend a helping hand to the Haitians.

Croix-des-Bouquets Mayor Jean Saint-Ange Darius also delivered a speech during the ceremony and thanked the association. Stating that Kimse Yok Mu has always stood next to the Haitians, the mayor thanked “the generous Turkish nation” for its assistance.

 

Source: Today's Zaman , 22 December 2010


Related News

First-Ever Comprehensive Biography on Fethullah Gülen

In the first-ever comprehensive biography, Fethullah Gülen: A Life of Hizmet – Why A Muslim Scholar in Pennsylvania Matters to the World, author Jon Pahl gains unprecedented access to Fethullah Gulen’s inner circle as well as to Gülen himself.

‘Kimse Yok Mu’ helps in Peru

‘Kimse Yok Mu’ humanitarian aid organization, which is associated with Gulen Movement, organized a feast of sacrifice program in the Parliament’s yard in Peru.

Has Turkey arrested Christian to exchange for Fethullah Gülen?

Turkey’s Erdogan regime has arrested an American pastor whom they could use in a possible exchange for the Turkish Muslim cleric they want to extradite from the United States. The Muslim Fethullah Gülen is accused by the Erdogan regime to be the mastermind behind the latest failed-military-coup intending to depose the president.

Kimse Yok Mu to launch 1000 “field schools” project in Africa

International aid organization Kimse Yok Mu is launching a new project to help improve education in Africa – KYM Field Schools. The project is about the foundation of 1000 schools for primary education of African children and submission of schools to local authorities.

The cleric, the coup and the conspiracy

In Pennsylvania, Gülen and his aides scrambled to denounce the coup attempt as it unfolded. “As someone who suffered under multiple military coups during the past five decades, it is especially insulting to be accused of having any link to such an attempt,” Gülen said in a statement, referring to Turkey’s spotty democratic history. The U.S. also was quick to condemn the coup attempt, but not quick enough for many in the Turkish government and media.

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee: Charges against Gülen not credible

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee Chairman Dana Rohrabacher said during a hearing titled “Turkey after the July Coup Attempt” in the House Foreign Affairs Committee on Wednesday that the Turkish government’s claims against a US-based Turkish scholar for masterminding the July 15 coup attempt lack substantial evidence and were not credible.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Blanket Drive for Syrian Refugees a Great Success

Turkic Cultural Exchange and Community Dialogue

Arinc: Gulen lights the way for us

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

Turkish PM calls on Islamic scholar Gülen to return to Turkey

Refugee helps refugees

Turkish Deputy PM rules out ‘ill will’ against Gülen community, unveils prep school draft details

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News