Jailed police chief’s children, aged 15 and 17, detained in new post-coup probe


Date posted: August 19, 2017

Two children of former police chief Anadolu Atayun, who has already been under arrest for some 3 years, was detained over their alleged use of ByLock mobile app on Friday.

A Konya prosecutor has issued detention warrants for 38 people including Atayun’s children, 17-year-old Y.A. and 15-year-old H.A. The suspects are accused of using ByLock, which Turkish authorities claim a primary communication tool among sympathizers of the Gulen movement.

Yasemin Atayun’s father, Anadolu Atayun, was jailed after conducting corruption operations in late 2008 and 2013 implicating then-Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and his inner circle.

Turkish government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accuses the movement of masterminding the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement.


Two children of former police chief Anadolu Atayun, who has already been under arrest for some 3 years, was detained. Chief Atayun was jailed after conducting corruption operations in late 2008 and 2013 implicating then-Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and his inner circle.


Media said H.A. was released after interrogation at a Konya police station while Y.A. was still under custody at the time of this writing on Friday.

Former head of the Konya police’s anti-smuggling and organized crime bureau, Anadolu Atayun was put in pre-trial arrest over links to the movement in May, 2015.

Earlier, Turkey also detained Fatma Yılmazer, a lawyer and the daughter of jailed police intelligence chief Ali Fuat Yılmazer.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , August 18, 2017


Related News

Can the EU be blamed for Erdoğan’s authoritarianism?

It may be speculated that the EU’s resistance to Turkey’s European integration has to a certain extent played a role in Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s slide into authoritarianism. If the EU had consistently backed its accession process, Ankara may have consolidated democracy and rule of law, so that such a concentration of power could have been avoided.

Answers to slanderous accusations about Hizmet movement

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) has responded to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations made about the Hizmet movement which the foundation said are designed to pit the government against the movement and create tension between the two. Releasing a statement on Tuesday, the foundation felt an obligation to respond to the allegations as a sign of respect for the public’s right to be informed.

Turkey’s Main Opposition Party Reiterates In Report July 15 Was ‘Controlled’ Coup Attempt

A report drafted by Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) on a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 has repeated an earlier claim made by the party’s leader suggesting that the coup attempt was a “controlled” one and that there were some Turkish authorities who knew about the coup plans but did not take any measures to prevent it.

Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

What Erdogan and Khomeini Have in Common

The Turkish secular elite who have long feared an Iranian-style theocracy in their own country may finally be seeing the worst of their fears come true. The widespread purges under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan following last month’s failed coup attempt against his government suggest the Turkish state is moving toward authoritarian Islamist rule of the sort that Iran introduced in 1979.

Separation politics and Islam makes Gülen AKP’s enemy

“The Gülen Movement is faith inspired in its motivation, but faith neutral in its manifestation.” That is how key speaker Ozcan Keles, chairperson of Dialogue Society in London, characterized the Gülen Movement in a panel discussion on the Hizmet Movement Tuesday in the European Parliament.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan’s Purge Stretches All The Way To Pakistan

Peace Islands Institute Annual Ramadan Dinner

Afghan minister: Afghanistan will continue to support Turkish schools

Greek broadcaster praises contributions of Gülen movement

Punjab university: Honorary PhD given to Turkish scholar Fethullah Gulen

Kosovo investigates seizure of Turkish nationals

Kimse Yok Mu organizes international cartoon competition: ‘Refugees’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News