BBC report: Women with younger-than 6-months-old babies in jail in Turkey

Çınar Babacan, father, is about to hand over his baby to Konya Eregli prison.
Çınar Babacan, father, is about to hand over his baby to Konya Eregli prison.


Date posted: August 11, 2017

Hundreds of women are in pretrial detention in jails across Turkey with their infants, some of them less than six months old, due to a state of emergency declared after a failed coup last year, a BBC Turkish report said on Friday.

Conducting interviews with three women who are victims of emergency rule, BBC revealed that some of the women had not been provided by the prison administration with baby food and that they had to feed their infants adult food.

Speaking to BBC, a mother whose name was not revealed said she was detained on Oct. 27, 2016 with her newborn baby after she was dismissed as an English teacher in a Düzce province public school following the failed coup due to her ties to the Gülen movement, which is accused by Turkish authorities of being behind the coup attempt.

She said there were more than 10 women in İzmir Şakran Prison, to where she was transferred from Düzce along with her baby.

A birthday photo taken by a warden in Konya Eregli prison.

“I slept on a blanket on the cell floor with my baby. I was not given clean water, which I need to have enough breast milk. I begged the guards to give me diapers, but they didn’t provide me with wet towels to clean my baby after a diaper change,” she said.

Yağmur Balcı, another woman jailed over Gülen links in a prison in Trabzon’s Çaykara district, was also in a difficult situation with a nine-month-old baby, BBC said.

Balcı’s sister Zehra told BBC that the baby was given to her only three times a day for 10 minutes at a time in the first week of her imprisonment.

“They didn’t provide necessary baby care items or food to my sister,” she said.

“She was transferred to Ankara’s Sincan Prison. And inspectors from the European Commission put pressure on the prison administration to provide the necessities to women with infants. My sister thinks that’s why she was transferred to Sincan [Prison]. However, we were told it was prohibited when we tried to send a baby chair and baby carriage to the prison,” she added.

Ferda Babacan, a former ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) local executive, said his wife Çınar was arrested in Ankara on April 12 over use of a smart phone application and that their five-month-old baby was given to him by the prison administration because they initially refused to let the baby stay with its mother.

Babies in Konya Eregli prison

“However, my wife wrote a petition to the prison administration saying the infant needed to be breastfed. So I had to give my baby to the prison administration with my own hands,” he said.

BBC also talked to AKP Bartın deputy Yılmaz Tunç, a member of the parliamentary Justice Commission, regarding the condition of women jailed with their infants.

Denying the presence of infants with their mothers in Turkish jails, Tunç said that “all trials are conducted in accordance with the Turkish Penal Code, the Constitution and international agreements.”

According to Tunç, all women who are pregnant or with infants were tried without pretrial detention.

Underlining that all the news in the media is black propaganda against the Turkish government, the AKP deputy said no applications had been submitted to him or his office in the Justice Commission regarding the poor treatment of women in jails.

Responding to a parliamentary question from main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Gamze İlgezdi on May 23, Turkey’s Justice Ministry said a total of 560 children under the age of 6 are being held in Turkish prisons along with their mothers.

Out of the 560, 114 are aged between 0 and 12 months; 128 children are 1 year old; 114 children are 2 years old; 81 children, 3 years old; 70 children, 4 years old; 31 children, 5 years old; and five are 6 years old. The ages of the remaining 17 are unknown, the ministry said.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , August 11, 2017


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu awaiting permission from governor’s office to help martyrs’ families

The İstanbul Governor’s Office has not yet granted permission to the Kimse Yok Mu charity, which aimed to raise TL 7,275,000 in aid for the families of security personnel who died during the fight against terror, despite having sent a proposal to the governor’s office over a month ago, Kimse Yok Mu President İsmail Cingöz said on Tuesday.

Closing down prep schools another poor education policy decision

We are not convinced that shutting down prep schools will either improve quality of education in Turkey or increase educational equality,” said Batuhan Aydagül, director of the Education Reform Initiative (ERI or Eğitim Reformu Girişimi, ERG).

Loyal depositors shoulder Turkey’s Bank Asya while political war rages

Selling everything from their sofas to their wedding rings, Bank Asya clients are battling to shore up the Turkish lender against what they say is a government-orchestrated bid to scuttle it.

5-months pregnant woman detained as police fail to locate husband

A woman, identified as B.D. was detained after police failed to locate her husband as part an investigation in to the Gulen movement, media reported Saturday.

Turkish police detain al-Qaeda suspects

Turkish anti-terrorism police carried out raids in six cities on Tuesday, detaining at least five people with alleged links to al-Qaeda, including an employee of a prominent Islamic charity group that provides aid to Syria, media reports and officials said.

State Islam versus civic Islam

Using the Hizmet movement, AK party wants to create a common enemy that would be recognized as such by different social groups. It demonizes the movement and makes it a target of the social opposition. But all these tricks and methods do not eliminate one basic truth. There is an unusual experience in Turkey. There is an ongoing war between “state Islam” and “civic Islam.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Row between Turkish government and Gulen Movement takes new twist

Fethullah Gülen donates $10,000 for victims of Typhoon Haiyan disaster in Philippines

Turkey’s Main Opposition Party Reiterates In Report July 15 Was ‘Controlled’ Coup Attempt

Turkish PM calls for boycott of Gülen movement’s schools

The Muslim Cleric Who Fell in Love With Democracy

Turkish feast in Madagascar

Students visiting Turkey bid one another a teary farewell

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News