Malaysia: Turkish wives say husbands not terrorists, want them released


Date posted: May 10, 2017

Sheith Khidhir Bin Abu Bakar

The wives of two Turkish men arrested by police over suspected terrorist activities are demanding the authorities immediately release their husbands.

Turgay Karaman’s wife Ayse Gul Karaman and Ismet Ozcelik’s wife Hatice Ozcelik met reporters at Publika here today to express their contempt over allegations that their husbands were linked to militant group Islamic State (IS).

This follows a report last Thursday which quoted Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi as claiming that the two Turkish citizens, arrested a few days ago, were suspected of having links to the IS.

Zahid said the duo were detained after surveillance conducted by the police’s Special Branch anti-terrorism division on a group of individuals.


Speaking to reporters, Ayse said it was “completely unacceptable” that the Malaysian government would accuse her husband of having links to the IS. “Even if they accuse him for other things it would still be acceptable but they’ve accused him of an unreasonable and terrible thing like being involved with murderers,” she said with tears in her eyes.


Speaking to reporters, Ayse said it was “completely unacceptable” that the Malaysian government would accuse her husband of such a thing.

“Even if they accuse him for other things it would still be acceptable but they’ve accused him of an unreasonable and terrible thing like being involved with murderers,” she said with tears in her eyes.

“I’ve lived here with my husband for 15 years. Malaysia is not my second home, it is my home because all my babies were born here. All I can say is shame on the Malaysian government.”

She claimed the last thing her husband would be involved in was terrorism as it went against his principles and beliefs.

“My husband is loving, caring and patient. He believes that everyone, no matter what colour their skin or what their religion, can live in peace with one another. I don’t have to say my husband is not guilty because he is not!”

Hatice echoed the same sentiments about her own husband, saying the police could not prove her husband was guilty of any crime.

“We believe IS is a terrorist organisation and we are against them. We also believe like it says in the Quran that ‘killing one man is akin to killing the whole of humanity’,” she said.

“We are sure the Malaysian government is making a huge mistake and I’m sure it will be corrected soon as there is no proof against our husbands.

“We have not hurt a fly, how can you say our husbands are (linked to the) IS?”

Just as distraught was Ainnurul Aisyah Yunos Ali Maricar, the wife of Ihsan Aslan, yet another Turkish man arrested in the country, who told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday that like Ayse, she too initially feared her husband had been kidnapped.

Ayse told reporters today however that after Wednesday’s press conference, she received a call from a police inspector informing her that her husband had been arrested.

“The inspector was very nice to me and told me not to worry.

“Moments later, my husband called me and said he was coming to get his passport.

“When he arrived with police officers outside, the police officers were trying to hide him and I had to tell them that the passport was with the lawyer. That was the last time I saw my husband, I did not even get the chance to speak to him.”

Yesterday The Star reported that Ozcelik was detained around 5.30pm on Thursday while travelling in a car with his son Suheyl and another unidentified individual.

It quoted Bukit Aman Special Branch Department director Comm Mohamad Fuzi Harun as confirming the arrest. Ozcelik and Suheyl’s phones were also confiscated.

However according to news portal Turkish Minute, Ozcelik, a Turkish academic, carries an UNHCR refugee card.

On Tuesday, police arrested Karaman and Aslan. Zahid said yesterday that the two were allegedly involved in spreading the influence of IS and collecting funds for the militant group.

The Star report said Ozcelik was supposed to stand trial on May 3 and 4 for allegedly obstructing civil servants from carrying out their duties. However, the trial was postponed to May 19 for case management following Karaman’s absence as a witness.

Suheyl and Karaman were supposed to meet with their lawyers but Karaman never showed up, as he had already been picked up by police.

Source: Free Malaysia Today , May 6, 2017


Related News

More Academics, Teachers, Charity Staff Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links

Tens of academics, teachers, university staff and aid organization personnel were detained by police in Turkey over alleged links with Gülen movement.

Mueller Probes Flynn’s Role in Alleged Plan to Deliver Gulen to Turkey

Special Counsel Robert Mueller is investigating an alleged plan involving former White House national security adviser Mike Flynn to forcibly remove a Muslim cleric living in the U.S. and deliver him to Turkey in return for millions of dollars, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Erdoğan’s Religious Guide Approved Torture And Abuse In Turkey

Turkish president’s chief religious counsel Hayrettin Karaman, professor of Islamic law, has given approval to overlook torture and other crimes committed by members of security services, saying that Turkey is at total mobilization and under attack from within and outside.

Pak-Turk schools: Parents urge government against transferring administration to Erdogan-linked organization

“All the Turkish teachers and administrators have left Pakistan and the schools are being run by Pakistanis,” said one of the parents Syed Amir Abdullah. He added that the government still seemed hell bent on ruining these institutions by handing them over to an ‘infamous organisation’ which has no experience of running them.

Gulen-linked org’s statement on Turkish Govt’s arrest of pro-Kurdish Parliamentarians

AfSV Statement on Turkish Government’s Arrest of HDP Parliamentarians  Erdogan’s Persecutions Underscore Authoritarian Slide New York (November 9, 2016) – The Alliance for Shared Values is deeply concerned about the arrests of nine members of Turkish Parliament from the pro-Kurdish People’s Democratic Party (HDP), including the party’s co-chairs Mr. Selahattin Demirtas and Ms. Figen Yuksekdag. […]

Turkish ambassador leads an unrealistic mission: bringing a reclusive Muslim cleric before Turkish courts

Although Turkey immediately blamed Gulen for the coup attempt, it took Ankara nearly six weeks to make a formal request for his extradition — and that was based on earlier alleged crimes, not for his supposed role in the coup.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu continues to help needy despite gov’t restrictions

Kimse Yok Mu humanitarian aid organization makes it to top 100 NGOs

TUSKON to sue dailies over disputed land reports

An NBA Center Faces Imprisonment And Possible Execution In Turkey

Gulen Institute awards student essay winners in Washington

Why is Erdoğan hostile to Turkish schools?

The anomaly of war

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News