Turkey – Baby with Down syndrome suffers major health problems in absence of jailed parents


Date posted: March 27, 2017

A 15-month-old baby with Down syndrome, Ayşe Sena Bunlu, has been suffering from serious health problems ever since her parents, both of whom are police officers, were purged from their posts and jailed in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, according to a story in the Tr724 news portal on Friday.

Bunlu’s father, a police chief in İstanbul’s Avcılar district, was immediately removed from his post and jailed following the coup attempt while mother Rukiye was purged and jailed last December.

Ayşe Sena’s grandparents have been taking care of the little girl since both of her parents are in jail.

Ayşe Sena’s grandmother Billur Yıldız has said the baby girl does not only suffer from the Down syndrome but also heart problems and they have been visiting emergency room almost every day since her parents’ imprisonment.

“We demand at least the release of the mother on judicial probation. We don’t say she is guilty or not, we just say she needs to be with her baby,” said Yıldız.

The grandmother also said Ayşe Sena needs to undergo physical therapy but getting a medical report for her to get this treatment is impossible in the absence of her parents.

“We don’t know what to do. We just want a solution to be found. We are taking care of her but can’t provide the love of a mother. Although she can’t normally utter a word, Ayşe Sena says, ‘mummy,’ while crying,” said Yıldız.

Over 135,000 people, including thousands within the military, have been purged due to their real or alleged connection to the Gülen movement since the coup attempt, according to a statement by the labor minister on Jan. 10.

As of March 23, 94,982 people were being held without charge, with an additional 47,128 in pre-trial detention due to their alleged links to the movement. A total of 7,317 academics were purged as well as 4,272 judges and prosecutors, who were dismissed due to alleged involvement in the July 15 coup attempt.

The government holds the Gülen movement responsible for the failed coup while the movement strongly denies the charge.

Source: Turkey Purge , March 24, 2017


Related News

Ex-diplomats detained over Gülen links subjected to severe torture, says deputy

Some 20 former employees of the Turkish Foreign Ministry who were among 100 detained last week are being subjected to heavy torture, according to claims raised by a member of the Turkish Parliament.

‘PM conducting psychological warfare [against Hizmet movement] to cover graft claims’

The Hizmet movement is a grassroots movement based on voluntary participation aimed at fostering interfaith dialogue and tolerance, with a particular emphasis on education.

Five new mosque-cemevi projects on the way

There are plans to launch joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) projects in five other Turkish provinces in addition to the recently launched project in the Turkish capital city of Ankara, the Radikal daily reported on Tuesday. According to the daily, the locations of the new mosque-cemevi projects will be the Kartal district in İstanbul, […]

Turkish Woman, Arrested During Husband’s Funeral, Separated From Son

Esra Celik whose husband died during medical surgery was arrested by the Turkish police during the funeral ceremony as part of the post-coup crackdown on government opponents.

Almost 1,000 officers removed from post in İzmir, Ankara

Around 700 police officers, including four deputy chiefs and 70 high-ranking officials, were removed from their posts at the İzmir Police Department and reassigned to different positions on Thursday morning and removals continued later in the afternoon with 207 more officers

Religious freedom threatened by Turkey’s response to coup

From his self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, Gulen has disavowed any association with the coup attempt. “My philosophy — inclusive and pluralist Islam, dedicated to service to human beings from every faith — is antithetical to armed rebellion,” Gulen wrote for The New York Times.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Eid al-Adha in Rio

Kimse Yok Mu Receives “Outstanding Service Medal” in Somalia

Media Imposes Official Ideology, Creating Negative non-Muslim Image

Bulgarian producer introduces his fourth documentary on Fethullah Gulen

Turkey’s extradition adventure undermined Kosovan rule of law – Expert

Critics say Turkish government using US mosques to play politics, spy on foes

UN 59th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News