3-year-old child with fever denied treatment as father under arrest over Gülen links


Date posted: December 9, 2016

A three-year-old child with high fever has been denied treatment at a hospital since his father was arrested over alleged links to the Gülen movement, leading a suspension in the kid’s subscription to the nation-wide social security system.

In his speech during budgetary talks at the Parliament, main opposition Republican Peoples’ Party (CHP) Istanbul deputy Mehmet Bekaroğlu said: “A three-year-old child with a temperature of 40°C goes to a hospital and is denied treatment, being told: ‘Your father was arrested over FETO [links] and you are done with SGK [Social Security Institution]’.”

FETO –short for Fethullahist Terrorist Organization– is a derogatory term coined by the government to label the movement which inspired from teachings of the US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen, as terrorist without any court verdict to that effect.

The government put blame on the movement for the July 15 coup attempt while the latter denies any involvement.

Nearly 80,000 people have been detained and 40,000 arrested over real or alleged ties to the movement since July 15.

Some pro-government business owners earlier refused to serve people with ties to the movement, media reported.

Source: Turkey Purge , December 8, 2016


Related News

Today’s Zaman journalist faces deportation [from Turkey] over critical tweets on government

Zeynalov, a national of Azerbaijan, has been put on a list of foreign individuals who are barred from entering Turkey under Law No. 5683, because of “posting tweets against high-level state officials,” The move comes in an already-troubling atmosphere for media freedom. Late on Wednesday, Parliament passed a controversial bill tightening government control over the Internet in a move that critics say is aimed at silencing dissent.

If you do not stand against injustice

The July 22 operation has shown the meaning and characteristics of the ongoing process that we are experiencing right now. The allegations that serve as the pretext for the July 22 operation will have a boomerang effect, because what we understand from the initial findings of the investigation is that the arguments of the government have been proven to be ungrounded.

285 Turkish teachers and families risk forcible deportation and persecution in Pakistan

Dimitris Christopolous, FIDH President: The Pakistani government’s deportation of a Turkish family should set off alarm bells. The Pakistani government must ensure the protection of the other 285 individuals who risk being deported to Turkey and put an end to the blatant disregard of its international obligations.

Students from 140 countries to participate in Turkish Olympiads this year

A total of 2,000 students from 140 countries will attend the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, which brings together hundreds of foreign students studying at Turkish schools around the world, this year. A press conference was held by a member of the International Turkish Olympiads organizing committee, Işılay Saygın, on Monday in İzmir to give details […]

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

The signatory states and their courts need to decide where their loyalty lies: With the authoritarian Erdogan government or with the human rights and judicial guarantees solemnly enshrined in their respective constitutions?

Latest practices of AK Party gov’t raise fears of ‘one-party state’

İstanbul branch chairman, Aziz Babuşcu, who said the removal of Hizmet movement sympathizers from state institutions started long before the corruption scandal broke on Dec. 17 of last year. Babuşcu’s remarks drew condemnations, with many accusing the AK Party of removing public servants that the party dislikes from duty and filling state institutions with party supporters.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Minister Yazici Visits Kazakh-Turkish High School

Kyrgyz president: Those calling Turkish teachers terrorists should see a doctor

Countdown for operation against Hizmet Movement

Jihad Turk on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Moderate Islamic Gulen Movement Builds Bridges of Understanding With Christians, Jews

Documents expose plot to hold Hizmet responsible for KPSS cheating

Prominent Alevi leader welcomes Gülen’s remarks on bridge controversy

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News