Nigerian federal gov’t on arrested students: Turkey on a vendetta mission


Date posted: October 4, 2016

Folashade Adebayo

The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Sola Enikanolaye, has said that the Nigerian students who were arrested in Turkey for an alleged role in the July coup attempt in Turkey may have been paying for the refusal of the Nigerian government to shut down some Turkish schools and institutions in Nigeria.

This was just as the Charge D’Affaires of the Nigerian Mission in Turkey, Ibrahim Isah, said that two Nigerian students had been in detention for more than two months at the Silivri Prisons in Istanbul, Turkey, for allegedly being members of the Fethulla Terrorist Organisation, a group said to be responsible for the coup attempt in Turkey.

Some 50 Nigerians studying in Turkey were reportedly arrested on Friday for an alleged link to a terrorist organisation in the country. Many of the Nigerians were said to be students of Fatih University, one of thousands of schools shut down by the Turkish government after the July failed coup attempt.

But in a submission made to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, and obtained by our correspondent on Monday, Enikanolaye said the plight of the Nigerian students might not be unconnected with the refusal of the Federal Government to close down some schools in Nigeria, “as arrogantly demanded by the Turkish Government.”

He wrote, “Surely, accusing the students of links to a terrorist organisation is serious, even though we know the state of paranoid that has beset the leadership of Turkey following the failed coup attempt.

“Our students seem to have been caught in the web of internal politics of Turkey and the clampdown on FETO that was accused of the coup.

“This has severely fractured the country, putting it on collision course with the civilised members of the international community.

“The action against our students must have been a reaction to our refusal to close Turkish schools and institutions in Nigeria, as arrogantly demanded by the Turkish Government.’’

Also in a report sent to Onyeama, Isah said two Nigerian students — Hassan Danjuma Adamu, and Muhammad Alhaji Abdullahi — who are on the scholarship of the Yobe State government, had completed their programmes and were waiting for their certificates before their arrest.

According to Isah, the Nigerians’ offence was that they were living in a hostel facilitated by the International Students Association, an organisation believed by the Turkish government to have links with FETO.

‘’According to Mohammad, they were preparing to vacate the hostel on that fateful day, having heard that the so-called International Students’ Association was being linked to FETO and that the hostel was under investigation.

“Unfortunately for them, the hostel was raided before they could move out. They believed that the police were given prior information of the presence of foreign students in the hostel. After, the raid, nothing implicating was found on them except three religious books that the police believe was incriminating.

“Both denied the ownership of the books, which seemed to put to bed any doubts in the minds of the police that they were members of FETO. Thus, they were immediately arrested and taken to the police station for interrogation and subsequently transferred to Silivri Prisons.”

Source: Punch , October 3, 2016


Related News

Who stalls the reforms [in Turkey]?

ABDÜLHAMİT BİLİCİ “A group of people, including businessmen, students and teachers who came all the way from Thailand, traveling 9,000 kilometers to cast their votes in the referendum (on September 12, 2010), are now back to Thailand. Neşet Kahraman, who spent $2,000 on travel in order to cast his vote, said: ‘The referendum was pretty […]

Is Hizmet being subjected to genocide? (2)

In a recently leaked voice recording, which was not denied by those involved in it, Erdoğan’s son, Bilal, tells his father that an operation should be launched against the Hizmet movement. All these incidents indicate that the ruling party has used and will use laws in accordance with Erdoğan’s plans. Thus, a group cannot be destroyed solely with mass killings. It can be destroyed also with unfair and unlawful practices by passing specific laws, as we saw in many cases in the past.

AK Party, Hizmet movement and politics

İHSAN YILMAZ  August 31, 2012 I have written repeatedly about the relationship between the Hizmet movement (aka Gulen movement) and politics here. Unfortunately, it still needs some more discussion. As is well known, Hizmet never associates itself with political parties. It is a volunteer movement that appeals to individuals from all sorts of social, cultural, […]

Parents seeking urgent Release of School Principle Fatih Keskin

“As parents, as we are concerned about the way the principal of this school is treated, and we expect information on the further development of the situation regarding the treatment of the principal,” parents stated, adding that they request to be informed on the reasons for the arrest as soon as possible.

Turkey’s Erdogan and unending human rights repression

The judiciary, media organisations, opposition parties, civil servants, charity groups, just to mention a few, are being subjected to a daily dose of massive abuses and suffocation in Turkey under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. The recent catch to the abuse list is the sacking of medical professionals, scientists, and other academics from universities.

Feb. 28 postmodern coup and sins of collaborative media

The anniversary of the postmodern coup of Feb. 28, 1997, has seen much debate as to what happened during the coup, and we continue to discuss it heatedly even though one week has passed since the anniversary. BÜLENT KENEŞ,   March 6, 2012 And if they were rewarded with energy, mining and banking tenders amounting […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

The Gülen Movement: Paradigms, Projects and Aspirations

‘TUSKON is a reliable and long-time friend of ours’

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s chain of mistakes

New Book – The House of Service: The Gülen Movement and Islam’s Third Way (New York: Oxford University Press)

Beating ‘domestic enemies’ in the game of ‘advanced’ democracy

Mongolia’s Elite Schools sponsor reading halls at pediatric hospital

Romania denies extradition request for Turkish teacher over Gülen links

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News