Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization


Date posted: October 2, 2016

The 2nd Criminal Court in the southern province of Hatay rejected an indictment prepared about the Fethullah Gülen Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), a term used by the Turkish government to describe the Gülen movement, saying that there is no such a terrorist organization officially identified.

Office of Hatay Chief Public Prosecutor prepared an indictment about N.K. who is currently under arrest over charges of being member to (FETÖ) and Parallel State Structure (PDY).

Judges unanimously voted against the indictment and rejected it, citing that there is no officially designated terrorist organization such as (FETÖ). The judges also said reference to use of ByLock application by N.K. cannot be accepted as evidence of terrorist organization membership.

The court ruling may set a precedent for similar cases given government’s massive purges and crackdown targeting the movement. But when two judges decided to release police officers and chairman of a television channel last year over lack of concrete evidence for wrongdoing, top judicial body HSYK dismissed them. The judges were later jailed over ruling to release detained police officers.

How the government will react to the decision by Hatay court remains to be seen.

The government blames Gülen for the coup attempt on July 15. The US-based Islamic scholar rejects any link to the attempted coup. Since July, the government has either dismissed or sacked more than 100,000 public officials over alleged links to the movement.

Source: Turkish Minute , October 2, 2016


Related News

Turkey will hurt own interests if gov’t shuts down Kimse Yok Mu

Former Director for East African Affairs for the US State Department Professor David Shinn said in an interview, “If the government of Turkey is trying to shut down Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) it would seem to be a case of hurting its own interests in Africa.”

Turkish Gov’t Systematically Violated 12 Fundamental Rights During Emergency Rule

Sezgin Tanrıkulu, a deputy from Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), has announced that Turkish government has systematically violated 12 fundamental human rights during the ongoing state of emergency in the country.

A reasonable statement from Fethullah Gülen

The statement made by Fethullah Gülen regarding the choice of the name Yavuz Sultan Selim for the third bridge over the Bosporus that is to be built by the government will certainly enrich the ongoing debate about this issue and will lead to a reconsideration of using this name. The sensitivities of the Islamic segment while evaluating […]

Turkey’s largest religious publication group denied spot at Ramadan book fair

Turkey’s Directorate of Religious Affairs has refused to allocate an exhibit space at a Ramadan book fair to the country’s largest religious publication group over its affiliation with the Gülen movement.

Human Rights Foundation asks Kosovo PM to free 6 Gulen followers

US-based Human Rights Foundation has asked, in an urgent letter, to free 6 Gulen followers, arrested facing deportation to Turkey at the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s order.

Turkey’s once-worldly aims falter, even close allies concerned

Power appears to have gone to the prime minister’s head. Angling to become president in order to extend his rule, Erdogan is foolishly profiling and purging former friends in the Hizmet movement, recently firing hundreds of government employees who are allegedly (no one knows for sure as there’s no evidence) sympathetic to the movement’s founder, Fethullah Gulen

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Canadian singer Loreena McKennitt praises Fethullah Gülen’s work

Online Interfaith Dialogue Workshop

Why Is A Cleric In The Poconos Accused Of Fomenting Turkey’s Coup Attempt?

EU Criticizes Kosovo, Turkey Over Deportation Of Six Erdogan Political Foes

Who wants peace?

Kosovo President: Arrest of Gulenists was wrong

Pak-Turk International Schools Foundation-Stone Laying Ceremony

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News