Fethullah Gülen’s message to his sympathizers in the aftermath of the coup attempt


Date posted: September 19, 2016

Fethullah Gülen: I hope that those who set their hearts on a cause will not loosen their hands about working on the world solidarity and universal human values, and they will continue on their way. I hope they do not get shaken by such storms, with Allah’s permission and help. Just like all the things happened until today had passed and became history, these latest incidents will pass and become history, with Allah’s permission.

Question: Do you have any message to the people who are trying to structure their lives according to your ideals?
Fethullah Gülen: There may be people who like or sympathize…

We have seen many storms so far.

In May 27th [military coup in 1960], I was an imam who had not done the military service yet. I was arrested and imprisoned. But I was not insulted this much.

In March 12th (1971), a coup was staged by the military. I was imprisoned again. But I was not disgraced to this extent.

In September 12th (1980), I hided away for about six years. Turgut Özal, then Prime Minister, used his influence and a decision not to prosecute was made. So, I was exposed to such things again and again since the beginning.

When I came here to Mayo Clinic in the period of post-modern military coup Feb. 28th [political turmoil in 1997] there were storms in Turkey at the time. After I came here [in 1999], the June storm [of defamation] happened. Since I witnessed/lived through this over and over I have become accustomed to it. This is my fate.

And, I do not know how much they confine themselves to or believe this, but Our Prophet says, “the most difficult, the hardest calamities befell upon the Prophets and then the people who are best after them according to their righteousness” with the permission and help of Allah (God Almighty).

I have always believed that calamities would take away our mistakes and faults.

I hope that those who set their hearts on a cause will not loosen their hands about working on the world solidarity and universal human values, and they will continue on their way. I hope they do not get shaken by such storms, with Allah’s permission and help. Just like all the things happened until today had passed and became history, these latest incidents will pass and become history, with Allah’s permission.


Related News

Turkish gov’t profiling went on until 2013, report claims

The Turkish government profiled a large number of individuals whom it believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups and monitored their activities up until 2013, a Turkish daily reported on Monday. According to the report, the profiling of individuals did not end in 2010 as previously claimed, but it continued between 2011 […]

Kimse Yok Mu awaiting permission from governor’s office to help martyrs’ families

The İstanbul Governor’s Office has not yet granted permission to the Kimse Yok Mu charity, which aimed to raise TL 7,275,000 in aid for the families of security personnel who died during the fight against terror, despite having sent a proposal to the governor’s office over a month ago, Kimse Yok Mu President İsmail Cingöz said on Tuesday.

Anti-Hizmet plot no more innocent than practices of coup periods

Since the launch of the major corruption operation on Dec. 17, 2013, more than 20,000 police officers, bureaucrats, judges and prosecutors have been reassigned for no official reason other than their suspected links to the Hizmet movement.

First Documentary on the Hizmet Movement

By Tasmin Mahfuz At the SVA theatre in New York City, the Peace Islands Institute sponsored an exclusive screening of the award-winning documentary, “Love is a Verb.” Director Terry Spencer Hesser started the film three years ago when she was working on a travel series for PBS. The film takes viewers on a journey to […]

Erdoğan and AK Party deputies split over hate speech against Hizmet

Apparently, not every Justice and Development Party (AK Party) member and minister is on board with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s hateful and insulting rhetoric against the Hizmet movement and Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and his followers.

Eid al-Adha in Rio

The most effective and profound actor in this acquaintance process, on the other hand, has been without a doubt the Hizmet Movement inspired by the Honorable Fethullah Gulen’s teachings. I can list the movement’s initiatives in Brazil as follows: Its affiliated school “Colegio Belo Futuro Internacional” has been offering Portuguese-English bilingual education in the country since its establishment in 2007.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen calls on followers to adapt to PM’s teaching center closures

Turkey Faces Its Iran 1979 Moment

Turkey urges KRG to consider Gulen Movement a “Terrorist Organization”

Turkey’s Internet watchdog blocks access to website broadcasting Gülen’s speeches

Discrimination by AKP government [against Hizmet movement]

‘Turkish schools are excellent good will ambassadors for Turkey’

Erdoğan’s imaginary power struggles

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News