Austria arrests two after arson attack on Turkish cultural center


Date posted: August 15, 2016

Two suspects have been arrested in connection with an attempt to set fire to a Turkish cultural centre in the northern Austrian town of Wels, police said on Monday, at a time of heightened tension between Vienna and Ankara.

The attack took place in early morning and the suspects, whom police declined to identify, were arrested immediately.

Turks are one of Austria’s biggest immigrant communities, with more than 100,000 Turkish nationals registered in the country of 8.7 million people.

Wels, which has roughly 60,000 inhabitants, is also Austria’s biggest town to have a mayor from the anti-immigration Freedom Party.

“An incendiary device was thrown through a pane of glass into the centre’s premises. The incendiary device extinguished by itself and there was barely any property damage,” a provincial police spokesman said, suggesting the device was a petrol bomb.

Austria has been sharply critical of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan’s clampdown on supporters of a U.S.-based cleric whom he blames for last month’s failed coup attempt.

Austrian Chancellor Christian Kern has accused Erdogan of failing to adhere to democratic standards and suggested that the European Union should end accession talks with Turkey.

In a sign of the heightened tension, Turkey summoned Austria’s charge d’affaires in Ankara over what it said was “indecent report” about Turkey on a news ticker at Vienna airport.

(Reporting by Francois Murphy; Editing by Richard Balmforth)

Source: Reuters , August 15, 2016


Related News

Daniel Skubik on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Dr. Daniel Skubik is Professor of law, ethics & humanities at California Baptist University. He teaches public and private international law, constitutional law, and philosophy of law. He earned his master degree in political science and his doctoral degree in philosophy.

Efforts to accuse Hizmet movement of conspiracy failed, says lawyer

With the courts continuing to release police officers arrested in government-backed investigations, the lawyer of one of these officers says the court decisions have shown that the government is failing to demonstrate that the faith-based Hizmet movement was behind efforts to overthrow the government.

Wife of Calgary imam held in Turkey on coup allegations, says he still has no lawyer

The wife of a Calgary imam being held in prison near Istanbul, Turkey says she was pleased to hear that Prime Minister Trudeau recently spoke to Turkish officials about the matter. Rumeysa Hanci says her husband Davud had nothing to do with the attempt to overthrow the government. She says the family is still trying to get a lawyer for him.

Gov’t’s pressure for closure of Turkish schools abroad yields no result

The movement that started out a quarter-century ago to support education for children abroad starting with the autonomous Azerbaijani republic of Nakhchivan has now reached 160 foreign countries, with the founders of the movement and its volunteers welcomed with open arms around the world.

Silence of the (AKP) lambs

Erdoğan risks his own Islamic beliefs just to lead his voters to believe that Gülen and his followers are not Muslims, but puppets and even agents of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) — just like Ivan Watson of CNN International! — and Mossad. Erdoğan also keeps claiming that Fethullah Gülen and Hizmet movement supporters are terrorists.

The Hizmet Community

Ahmet Turan Alkan  12 October 2010 It does not matter whether it is called a community or Hizmet: This movement has very powerful dynamics and despite the huge amount of doubts and reservations which are being sown about it, it has an “open” nature and it can be clearly and easily understood – as its […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

3,623 Aggravated Life Sentences Sought In Turkey For Scholar Fethullah Gülen

Pak businessmen asked to attend Istanbul Expo

Jailed police chief’s children, aged 15 and 17, detained in new post-coup probe

The Dutch Turkish community must speak out about the anti-Gülen violence

Police raid schools in Diyarbakır where locals go on strike in protest of recent gov’t practices

Turkey’s Internet watchdog blocks access to website broadcasting Gülen’s speeches

Germany’s dialogue awards find their recipients

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News