Dutch government calls on Turkish community to report threats by supporters of Turkish President Erdogan


Date posted: July 23, 2016

Janene Pieters

The government is calling on Turkish-Dutch citizens to report if they are threatened by supporters of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Minister Bert Koenders of Foreign Affairs wrote in a letter to parliament on Thursday, NU.nl reports.

An attempted coup in Turkey last week Friday led to demonstrations in the Netherlands, including in Rotterdam, Deventer, Tilburg and Zaandam. Several Turkish-Dutch people who openly support Fethullah Gulen – Erdogan’s rival and the man he believes is behind the attempted coup – reportedbeing threatened. Lists are also circulating on social media with names of businesses in the Netherlands that should be boycotted because of their sympathy with the Gulen movement.

“That is unacceptable. In a democratic state, everyone is free to express his opinion”, Koenders wrote. The government is therefore calling on the Turkish-Dutch community to report any threats made against them to the police. “It is important that signals are taken seriously and people who cross the line, can not do so freely.”

The government also called on the Turkish-Dutch community to keep a cool head and to prevent further escalation. The government is in close contact with Turkish organizations and municipalities where tensions are palpable.

Source: NL Times , July 22, 2106


Related News

Turkey’s Corruption Probe, And One Question For Erdogan

Figures close to the leading Justice and Development Party (AKP), including sons of cabinet members, are facing serious allegations of bribery and money laundering. The government is denying all accusations and claims the charges are part of a conspiracy with roots both foreign and domestic.

Bilal Erdogan: Italy names Turkish president’s son in money laundering investigation allegedly connected to political corruption

Bilal Erdigan, son of the Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, is under investigation in Italy for money laundering, in connection, it has been claimed, with the 2013 corruption scandal that rocked the Turkish political establishment. The Bologna public prosecutor has opened a file on Bilal Erdogan after a key opponent of the Turkish regime officially denounced the president’s son, alleging he brought in large amounts of money to Italy last September to be recycled.

My husband is being tortured and I am worried about his life

My husband was in an exhausted state when he got into the room. There were punch marks on his face. He was suffering psychologically; he begged not to go back down to the detention room. He was saying “If you wish to give me 50 years in prison, do so, but do not take me down there”.

Rubin says Gülen’s extradition would convince Erdoğan that blackmail works

“If Gülen is turned over, however, I suspect relations will get worse because the extradition will convince Erdoğan that blackmail and bluster work,” said Rubin in an interview published in the Vocal Europe magazine on Monday.

Failed 2016 coup was gov’t plot to purge Gülenists from state bodies, journalist claims

“July 15 was a terrifying incident. We still haven’t solved the mystery behind it. However, I can easily say it wasn’t a coup. … We must examine the results of such occurrences. Who benefited from it? They played [with us] under the pretext of a [fake] coup, and the government, one person [Erdoğan] profited handsomely from this, taking over the whole country,” Ataklı said.

Romanian Minister of Education gives Turkish Schools Teachers a Standing Ovation

In Romania students and teachers that ranked highly at the 2011-2012 international Olympiads were awarded during an official ceremony attended by Prime Minister Victor Ponta and Minister of Education, Ecaterina Andronescu. Out of the 138 award-winning students, 44 were from the Turkish school in Romania, Lumina Educational Institutions. After the Lumina students won one-third of […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu opens two orphanages, Quran course in Senegal

Dismissed policeman detained while applying to post-coup rights commission

Fethullah Gülen: Turkey is being dragged into a civil war

Pro-Kurdish deputy welcomes Gülen’s support for peace talks

Kimse Yok Mu establishes town in Pakistan

Hate crimes get worse in Turkey

Turkey’s first intercultural dialogue center built on trust, offers quality services

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News