US assures private schools are under legal protection against closure


Date posted: January 31, 2015

SAİT KILIÇER / ISTANBUL

Northern Virginia Regional Commission (NVRC) Executive Director Mark Gibb has said no one, not even President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has the authority to close down Turkish schools in the US in response to the Turkish government’s bid to close down schools opened by entrepreneurs affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, which is also known as the Hizmet movement.

“This [closure of Turkish schools] is not possible. … Let alone the Turkish president, no one can shut down a private school in the United States,” Gibb has said.

During a visit to several African countries last week, Erdoğan urged African officials to end the operations of Turkish schools there. “In the countries we visited, we spoke about about the status of these schools, and said they should be closed,” Erdoğan has stated.

Erdoğan launched a battle against the Gülen movement after a corruption probe went public on Dec. 17, 2013, implicating senior members of the then-prime minister’s government. He accuses the movement of plotting to topple his government.

Scott York, the mayor of Loudoun County, Virginia, called Erdoğan’s attempt to shut down Turkish schools abroad “shameful.” He underlined that the president of the United States does not even have the power to close down private schools. “The attempt to close schools affiliated with the Gülen [movement] is a shameful move. Even President [Barack] Obama cannot shut down a private school in the United States,” he has said.

York praised the Turkish schools for the importance they attach to moral values, and added that the numbers of students attending those schools are rising. “Besides Pinnacle Academy in the United States, I had a chance to visit [Hizmet] schools in Turkey. I was impressed by the politeness and learnedness of the students. … Though they were high school students, everyone was already clear about their future [career] plans. The youths were motivated about university and the courses they plan to take,” York said.

Stating that the Turkish schools have become a part of American society, Gibb commended the schools for their success in achieving a level of education comparable to public schools. He noted that the appeal of the Turkish schools lies in the fact that the classrooms are less crowded and that more counseling is offered to students in those schools.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 30, 2015


Related News

Deporting Gülen would undercut NATO

Sacrificing Gülen, however, will not bring Turkey in from the cold. While the pretext might have been rooting out Gülen’s followers, the reality is that Erdogan has used the purge to target secularists, liberals, and those officers whose training and experience in NATO he believes make them prone to oppose his vision and goals for Turkey.

Turkish schools bridge between Vietnam and Turkey

ÖMER ŞAHİN – HANOİ Horizon International Bilangual Schools, founded in 2002, in Vietnam, opened its 5th campus. Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony of the new school, which is K through 5th grade. Bulent Arinc, minister of state and deputy premier, paid an official visit to the Far East including […]

Turkish school in Pakistan produces math world champion

Usama Mahmoud Hawar, a student at a Turkish school in Pakistan, has become the world champion in mathematics in an exam commissioned by the British Council’s Cambridge University, the Anatolia news agency reported on Sunday. Hawar, one of 12 million students from 200 countries to participate in the exam, was a final-year student at Lahore […]

Report reveals closure of prep schools against Constitution

A recently released report by a think tank based in İstanbul has revealed that the controversial law shutting down Turkey’s private prep schools or “dershanes” includes clauses that violate the Turkish Constitution.

Report: White House denies remarks attributed to Obama about Gülen

White House has reportedly denied remarks attributed to US President Barack Obama about Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, describing them as “not accurate.” Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Thursday during a live TV interview that Obama received “the message” about his complaint of Gülen residing in the US.

The Alliance for Shared Values Statement on Ankara Attacks

The Alliance for Shared Values deplores the bombing attacks perpetrated against peaceful protesters today in Ankara. We are deeply saddened by the increasing number of losses and injuries and offer our condolences to the families and friends of the victims. It is now more important than ever that we do not fall prey to the pernicious intentions behind these attacks.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Grand stage shows by Turkish Olympiad students enthrall İzmir locals

Embrace Relief headed down to Haiti to help orphanages

Government media runs riot in smear campaign against Hizmet

Erdogan in East Africa to fight against Gulen

Acclaimed Russian academic praises Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen

A Shared Struggle: Muslim and Jewish fasters break it together

A helping hand to orphan leader’s country Benin

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News