Despite blocking accounts, Kimse Yok Mu able to collect donations

Turkey's UN-affiliated aid organization Kimse Yok Mu
Turkey's UN-affiliated aid organization Kimse Yok Mu


Date posted: October 29, 2014

Despite the latest step in a government crackdown on Turkey’s UN-affiliated aid organization, Kimse Yok Mu, in which two banks blocked the organization’s accounts, administrators for the charity have said they are still able to collect money through their other accounts.

On Monday, Garanti Bank and Akbank unlawfully blocked the bank accounts of Kimse Yok Mu, citing a government decision on Sept. 22 to remove the organization’s ability to raise donations for its campaigns without prior permission.

Yusuf Yıldırım, Kimse Yok Mu’s foreign aid coordinator, told Today’s Zaman on Tuesday that over 3 million donors have been able to deposit money through other banks. He noted that in addition to three major branches in İstanbul, Kimse Yok Mu has 40 branches in Turkey, and that donors could make donations in person as well. Yıldırım criticized the efforts to undermine Kimse Yok Mu’s global aid campaigns and noted that those receiving help from the organization will be hurt by these actions.

Opposition: Undermining CSO without court decision a ‘serious issue’

The opposition has also criticized the actions against Kimse Yok Mu.

Republican People’s Party (CHP) Deputy Chairman Levent Gök said on Tuesday that the unlawful treatment of Kimse Yok Mu is unacceptable. If an investigation ascertains that a crime has been committed, it should be tried in independent courts, and attempting to discredit civil society organizations is a serious issue, Gök said. “The rule of law is required for everyone, and I reject this treatment of Kimse Yok Mu,” Gök stated.

According to Gök, the government is attempting to eliminate everyone that is not one of them by means of exerting pressure.

Gök also complained about the government’s indifference towards existing court rules by giving the example of the Ak Saray, a new presidential complex that was originally designed as an office for the prime minister. The lavish office and residential complex has been at the center of debates because it was built despite a court decision stipulating the end of the construction due to its location in a protected area.

Kimse Yok Mu can account for each kuruş of donation

Meanwhile, the Jerusalem office director of Kimse Yok Mu, Harun Tokak, said on Tuesday on a TV program that the organization is able to explain what each and every kuruş is spent on. Challenging the government by saying “they can try us in any court they want,” Tokak underlined that despite a year-long investigation into Kimse Yok Mu, the government has not been able to find a single piece of evidence pointing to fraud.

Tokak said the Hizmet movement, which inspires the work of Kimse Yok Mu, has been delivering help to people all around the world, regardless of religion, language or ethnicity.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 28, 2014


Related News

Bank Asya’s corporate governance rating increases

Bank Asya, a leading Turkish financial institution, announced on Sunday that their corporate governance rating had increased in June over its score from last year.

NY Times Editorial Board: Mr. Erdogan’s Reckless Revenge

At such a time, one would hope for a leader willing and eager to unify his people under the rule of law, to reaffirm democratic values and to address the grievances that motivated the plotters in the first place. So far, Mr. Erdogan seems determined to fail this test of leadership.

Halki, pope, patriarch and Gülen

The way Turkey’s chief political Islamist and new president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has approached the reopening of the Halki seminary, a school that had trained Eastern Orthodox clergy for the Patriarchate for more than a century until it was forcibly shut down in 1971, represents a fundamental flaw in the thinking of so-called Islamists, who place more emphasis on symbolism than substance and like very much to employ divisive and hateful discourse as opposed to reaching out and embracing different faiths and cultures.

Indonesian students in Turkey at risk of Gulen purge

Some 300 Indonesian students in Turkey are seen at risk of losing their education stipends as President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan tightens his grip on national security following the failed coup attempt in mid-July. Meanwhile, PDI-P lawmaker Charles Honoris said there was no need for the government to heed Erdoğan’s call to close down nine Gülen-affiliated schools in Indonesia, dismissing the Turkish President’s advances as “paranoia.”

Scapegoating: Turkish PM again blames Gülen movement for worsening economy

As the Turkish lira plunged even further on Friday, Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım claimed the Gülen movement was responsible for the deterioration in the country’s economic outlook. According to Yıldırım, “separatists” and sympathizers of the Gülen movement are working hard to ruin the Turkish economy in the eyes of the world.

Ex-employee files complaint against TİB head over purge

An email claimed that the agency tampered with its system logs to fabricate evidence that the “parallel state,” a term the government uses to describe the Hizmet movement, had listened in on around 2,000 people. The message said the electronic serial numbers (ESNs) of these people were entered into the system as per instructions from TİB President Çelik and then erased — all to make it look like the Hizmet movement had spied on Turkish citizens and then covered its tracks.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

South Africa to host 14th International Festival of Language and Culture

Suspicious raid against Hizmet-affiliated highschool famous for its success

TUSKON encourages mutual Russian-Turkish investment

Time for a reality check for ISNA conventioneers – coup attempt in Turkey

GYV slams slanderous accusations seeking to link Hizmet to terrorist PKK

Erdogan vs the Gulen movement

Punjab university: Honorary PhD given to Turkish scholar Fethullah Gulen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News