Land tender won by TUSKON reopened in defiance of court decision

View from an Emlak Konut office in İstanbul. (Photo: Zaman)
View from an Emlak Konut office in İstanbul. (Photo: Zaman)


Date posted: October 28, 2014

The tender for a large parcel of land which was won by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) was reopened on Monday, despite a prior court decision barring such a move, according to a statement from the confederation on the same day.

TUSKON — a business confederation known for having ties to the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen-inspired Hizmet movement — acquired the land in 2011 in a tender put out by the Finance Ministry, and agreed to rent it for 49 years at a price of TL 1.6 million per year. However, earlier this year, the Prime Ministry attempted to cancel the ongoing authorization process, which had already been extended on two occasions. A subsequent court decision resulted in a stay of execution which barred the cancellation of the process.

However, according to TUSKON’s statement, a new tender was opened for the 36,000-square-meter piece of land on Monday by Emlak Konut GYO — a subsidiary of the Housing Development Administration of Turkey (TOKİ) — in defiance of the court decision. A total of 13 companies participated in the first session of the tender process on Monday.

Unfortunately every day the law is broken, judicial decisions are not respected and the basic principles of democracy are being destroyed by those in power in this country,” said TUSKON in its statement. This development is the latest in a series of attempts by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) to destroy the financial integrity of the Hizmet movement. Since corruption investigations that went public on Dec. 17 of last year, the government has attempted to portray the Hizmet movement as a “parallel state” that orchestrated the investigations to overthrow the government.

The corruption investigations have been halted and the government continues to go after the Hizmet movement. It has attempted to sink the Islamic lender Bank Asya, which is affiliated with the movement, and revoked the license of Hizmet-linked charity Kimse Yok Mu? (Is Anyone There?), thus preventing it from receiving donations.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 27, 2014


Related News

66 U.S. senators sign letter asking Turkey to release Pastor Andrew Brunson

The letter, signed by 43 Republicans and 23 Democrats, warned that the U.S. may decide to take unspecified measures” to ensure that Turkish government “respects the rights” of U.S. citizens to remain in Turkey without fear of being persecuted.

Daily: Gov’t, watchdog attempted to sink Bank Asya

The Turkish government and the country’s banking watchdog were aware of and supported a recent defamation campaign allegedly aimed at sinking the country’s leading participation bank.

Bank Asya says it weathers ‘stress test’, still strong

Turkish media say state-owned companies and institutional depositors loyal to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have withdrawn TL 4 billion ($1.79 billion), some 20 percent of the bank’s total deposits, over the last month to try to sink the lender. The government has declined to comment. Bank Asya’s chief executive Ahmet Beyaz said the bank’s founders included sympathizers of cleric Fethullah Gülen, who officials say is behind the corruption investigation posing one of the biggest challenges to Erdoğan’s 11-year rule. But he said the bank was not at risk.

Another AK Party deputy, Muhammed Çetin, resigns in protest

Çetin reportedly asked AK Party deputies Volkan Bozkır and Ali Aşlık about their shoebox numbers. His joke prompted other deputies to tell the incident to the party administration, which outraged with the joke and referred Çetin to the disciplinary committee with request of expulsion.

Erdogan: A Classic Case Of How Power Corrupts

To consolidate his reign, Turkey’s president Mr. Erdogan intimidated his political opponents, emasculated the military, silenced the press, and enfeebled the judiciary; most recently, he pressed the parliament to amend the constitution to grant him essentially absolute powers.

Erdogan’s endless legitimacy crisis

Erdogan, who is avoiding dealing with the corruption charges, cannot preserve his government on the dead-end street he has entered.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish PM calls for boycott of Gülen movement’s schools

PM Erdoğan’s arguments on prep schools contradict statistics, facts

Fethullah Gülen’s message to the “Ideal Human & Ideal Society Conference” in Pakistan

Turkey’s Plans to Abolish Private Tutoring Centers Arrests Free Enterprise and Democracy

German minister says state not investigating Gulenists

Carter Center gives certificate of appreciation to Kimse Yok Mu

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News