Award ceremony cancellation on Parliament’s agenda

Seleme Gülen is a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen whose ideas inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement.(Photo: Today's Zaman)
Seleme Gülen is a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen whose ideas inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement.(Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: July 17, 2014

EMRULLAH BAYRAK / ANKARA

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) Deputy Chairman Sezgin Tanrıkulu spoke in Parliament on Wednesday about the cancellation of the award ceremony of a short film contest after the competition was won by Seleme Gülen, a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Bringing the issue to the floor of Parliament, Tanrıkulu submitted a parliamentary question to Education Minister Nabi Avcı, querying whether the cancellation resulted from discrimination against Seleme Gülen and asking the ministry to confirm rumors that screenings of the short film by the Ministry of Education were also to be canceled.

Tanrıkulu also asked if the award, which comes with a cash prize of TL 15,000, had been canceled in addition to the ceremony.

The award was to be represented to the contest’s winner with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Education Minister Ömer Dinçer and other high-ranking government officials in attendance, prior to being canceled.

In her short film, titled “Apprenticeship,” Gülen highlighted the process of beginning training in the workplace.

Ministry of Education officials have been pursuing a comprehensive investigation to check whether the winners of contests held by government institutions are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, and the realization that Seleme Gülen was a relative of the Hizmet leader resulted in the cancellation of the ceremony.

The award of TL 15,000 has not yet been presented to Seleme Gülen.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 16, 2014


Related News

Dismissed after coup attempt, teacher detained during visit to imprisoned relative

Malatya teacher C.K., earlier dismissed from his/her post as part of the government’s post-coup purge, was taken into custody during a visit to his/her jailed relative on Saturday.

Future of political islam: lessons from Turkey, Egypt

The eruption of protests across the country in the summer of 2013 were a result of the AKP’s increasingly authoritarian governing style. Rather than reading these protests as a public expression of discomfort — and taking the recent corruption charges seriously before declaring them a conspiracy against the government by the rival Gulen movement — the government is currently pushing legislation within parliament that will not only abolish the separation between the judiciary and the executive but which will completely consolidate the judicial and executive powers at the hands of the government.

Defending Hizmet

I have seen nothing but beauty from the Hizmet movement. I have taught at Hizmet schools in Turkey and seen teachers who work 18 hour long days seven days a week neglecting their own families in order to teach poor villagers in Sanliurfa.

UN to Turkey: Free and Compensate Gulen-linked Detainees

Turkey must release two men detained over suspected links to a cleric blamed for a 2016 coup attempt and pay them compensation for arbitrary detention, a UN body said on Wednesday.

Our three-month ordeal in Turkey’s maximum prison -Nigerian students detained over coup saga

Notwithstanding such aims and the benefits to Turkish citizens and others around the globe who enjoy scholarship and the benefits of quality education, all such pro-Gülen educational organisations, including the ones established in Nigeria have been branded as enemies by the Turkish government. “I have never heard that the Turkish schools in Nigeria have done anything illegally since the time they began operation in Nigeria; I attended one of such excellent schools so, I see no reason why the school should be closed,” Mohamed said.

Third suspicious disappearance in a week: Teacher dismissed in post-coup crackdown not seen for 14 days

Cengiz Usta, a 44-year-old teacher who was dismissed from his post as part of the Turkish government’s post-coup purge of state-institutions, has been missing since Apr 4, joining two other education professionals who are claimed to have been abducted in the same week.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

‘Mr. Gülen is to me simultaneously both incredibly modest and a visionary’

Former CHP Chairman Baykal supports joint mosque-cemevi project

Islam is compatible with Democracy, despite Turkey’s recent example

Mind-polluting leaks about Hizmet movement

Recruiting based on ‘color lists’ breach of Constitution

Hizmet’s political stance: Speak the truth to power, no matter what the cost is

Well-known sociologist says Gülen’s name on terrorist list ’alarming’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News