Yamanlar College student becomes world math champion

Osman Akar and Emre Girgin, who won a gold medal and a silver medal respectively at the 55th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), pose together in this July 13 photo. (Photo: Cihan)
Osman Akar and Emre Girgin, who won a gold medal and a silver medal respectively at the 55th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), pose together in this July 13 photo. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 14, 2014

ISTANBUL

Osman Akar, a student from the private Yamanlar College in İzmir, has won a gold medal at the 55th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), which was held in Cape Town.

Students from 106 countries around the world participated in the event from July 3-13. Akar was among students on a math team chosen by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK), and was the only student from Turkey to win a gold medal in the competition.

Emre Girgin, another student from Yamanlar College, won a silver medal at the Olympiads.

Speaking with reporters about his success at the prestigious math competition, Akar said he is glad to see the Turkish flag flying among the winning countries at the Olympiads. He said that he dreams of studying at one of the world’s most prestigious universities in the field of mathematics; he hopes to one day become a prominent scientist.

Sebahattin Kasap, the general director of the Yamanlar education institutions, told the press that it is an honor that a Yamanlar school’s student won a gold medal at the competition, adding: “Out of the 413 total medals won so far by Turkish students at international science events, 146 have been won by students from our schools. We have the most successful Turkish schools at international science competitions. We also expect that our students will win medals at the International Chemistry Olympiadto be held next week.”

Source: Todays Zaman , July 13, 2013


Related News

‘Humiliating people not allowed in Islam’

A man identified as Mustafa Petek asked the Religious Affairs Directorate on March 24 if Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the Hizmet movement, deserves to be a target of hate speech by state officials. The Religious Affairs Directorate, in response to the man’s query on hate speech, said, “In Islam, no one is allowed to humiliate a person or refer to him using adjectives that don’t represent him.”

Erdogan Budgets $150m To Displace Hizmet Schools In Africa

The motive behind Maarif Foundation is to use it as a tool to pressurize African countries to transfer ownership of Hizmet movement linked schools to the Maarif Foundation since the request for the closure of these schools were turned down for lacking in merit.

Religious leaders pray for world peace at meeting of civilizations

Religious leaders prayed for world peace at an event deemed the meeting of civilizations and organized by the Antakya Intercultural Dialogue Association (AKADİM) and Turkish aid organization Kimse Yok Mu in the province of Hatay

Police raid prominent journalists’ foundation GYV in Turkey

GYV’s members strongly protested the police measure. Underlining that the raid violated standard protocol, high-ranking GYV official Recep Usta expressed; “the protocol states that VGM technical teams can come to the building and conduct examinations; and should they find any violation, a period of a month is granted to us [to fix any issues].

Suspicious deaths, suicides become common occurrence in post-coup Turkey

The number of people who die in suspicious circumstances after being linked to the July 15 coup attempt has been rising with every passing day, a systematic occurrence that is casting a shadow over official statements pointing to suicide. At least 14 people have reportedly committed suicide. The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide. Rumours also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody.

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

Veteran Turkish journalist Nazlı Ilıcak was fired on Wednesday from her long-time post at the Sabah daily over a “disagreement on issues,” according to the pro-government newspaper. Ilıcak argued that Erdoğan had been misled by his advisors, leading to prejudices and suspicions about the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Secretary Tillerson: Evidence against Gulen provided by Turkey inadequate, while voluminous

Child of purged victim in Turkey says: I was 14 months old when my dad jailed

Turkish Charities accelerate Ramadan aid efforts worldwide

Is the Hizmet movement resisting normalization?

Ban Ki-moon (UN Secretary General) sent a message to IFLC

Obama is the real turkey in this scenario

Gülen calls for support to a [presidential] candidate with true integrity

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News