Gülen’s lawyer files lawsuit over unlawful police probe into Hizmet


Date posted: July 11, 2014

ISTANBUL
Nurullah Albayrak, lawyer for Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a lawsuit against a police chief who issued a written order to 30 provinces to launch a sweeping campaign into the faith-based Hizmet movement on what Albayrak says are trumped-up charges.

The order was dated June 25 but was only covered by the media as of Sunday. It was drafted by Turgut Aslan, the head of the National Police Department’s Counterterrorism Unit (TEM).

Speaking to the media after lodging a petition with the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, Albayrak said those who contributed to the unlawful probe into the Hizmet movement should be held accountable. Aslan issued the order after Ankara Prosecutor Serdar Coşkun launched an investigation into the Hizmet movement.

In the order, which includes 23 articles, Aslan claimed — without providing any evidence — that Hizmet seeks to overthrow the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and seize control of the state by destroying the constitutional order. The TEM head asked officials at police departments of 30 provinces to contribute to an ongoing investigation launched against the Hizmet movement by the Anti-constitutional Crimes Investigation Bureau at the Chief Prosecutor’s Office in Ankara. He also asked the officials to inquire about members of Hizmet in their provinces to see if they are at all armed.

Albayrak also said he will demand that the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) investigate prosecutor Coşkun, who sought the police’s help in what observers say was a heavy crackdown by the government on the faith-based movement through fabricated charges.

As part of the investigation, the prosecutor asked the police to find out what the “parallel structure” — a reference to the Hizmet movement — is exactly, who the members are, what the objectives of this group are, how it is organized and what its human and financial resources are. Prosecutor Coşkun also asked the Anti-smuggling and Organized Crime Bureau to cooperate with the Ankara Police Department’s Counterterrorism Unit to find out if the Hizmet movement is an armed group and if it can be considered a terrorist organization.

Albayrak asserted that the order is an illegal one and that it lacks any solid legal ground. “Who gave this illegal order? Who carried it out? I filed a lawsuit against the Counterterrorism Unit for its part in this unlawful probe,” he said.

Source: Todays Zaman , July 9, 2013


Related News

Deputy PM denies profiling of citizens in gov’t, private sector

Sending messages on New Year’s Eve on his Twitter account, Parliament’s Constitutional Commission head and AK Party deputy Burhan Kuzu claimed that “an intelligence report that was submitted to the prime minister detailed a parallel structure within state,” adding that some 2,000 people’s names are listed in that report.

Nigeria demands Turkey’s apology over ‘unjustifiable’ students deportation in coup crackdown

Nigerian lawmakers have urged the Turkish government to apologise for arresting and deporting dozens of Nigerian students. The majority of the youths attended the Fatih University, which is among thousands of educational buildings Turkey has shut down in a crackdown following the failed coup.

The Scale of Turkey’s Purge Is Nearly Unprecedented

Only rarely in modern history has a leader detained and fired as many perceived adversaries as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey has since a failed coup attempt last month. Here is how Mr. Erdogan’s vast purge would look if Americans were targeted at a similar scale.

Why Erdogan Snubbed Biden

What is going on in Turkey right now reminds me very much of the last few scenes in the first Godfather movie, where Michael Corleone is settling all of the Family’s outstanding business. Corleone is seen in church renouncing “Satan and all his works” while he participates in the baptism of his nephew—shortly before garroting the baby’s father, Carl.

Opposition, diplomats slam gov’t attempt to shut down Turkish schools

The government’s attempts to shut down Turkish schools abroad which are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, have been severely criticized by opposition members and diplomats.

The Public Trial of Fethullah Gulen

The Pennsylvania-based cleric is a leading reformer of moderate Islam — either that, or the head of a dangerous terrorist organization. DAVID KENNER The dueling descriptions of Fethullah Gulen often seem to describe two completely different men. To his supporters, the Pennsylvania-based imam is a progressive, tolerant Islamic thinker, who presides over a grassroots organization […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Before Oprah: Scholar’s Philanthropic Work Has Huge Impact on Africa

Turkish schools bridge between Vietnam and Turkey

Separate state and religion

Gülen warns against adventurism, using force against Kurds

Fethullah Gulen Criticizes Gaza Flotilla

Gülen urges Turkey to preserve, advance achievements in democratization

Fethullah Gülen’s brother laid to rest amid grief

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News