Turkish PM calls for boycott of Gülen movement’s schools


Date posted: February 27, 2014

 

ISTANBUL

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has geared up his rhetoric against the movement of U.S. based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling for a boycott of the movement’s schools.

“Leave the prep schools and schools of [the movement]. Say: Public schools are enough for us,” Erdoğan said during a rally in the southern province of Burdur on Feb. 27.

“Public schools will be enough. If parents want additional lessons for their children on the weekends, we will do it. They will be free of charge,” he added.

Erdoğan accuses the Gülen movement of orchestrating the massive graft probe targeting his government, but usually refers to the group through indirect terms such as “parallel state.”

The ongoing turmoil in the country increased this week, with the prime minister facing unprecedented accusations of corruption after the leak of incriminating phone conversations between himself and his son, in the wake of the initial police raids conducted on Dec. 17.

Erdoğan has called the tape a fabrication and accused the Gülen movement over it, while the opposition has urged him to resign.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , February 27, 2014


Related News

Students of Fatih Schools take first place in LYS and TEOG exams

Students of the Fatih Schools network — which are inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement — popularly known as the Hizmet movement — were the top scorers in both the Transition from Primary to Secondary Education (TEOG) exams taken from Nov. 26-27 and April 29-30 and the Undergraduate Placement Examination (LYS).

Amir Hussain on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Dr. Amir Hussain is a professor of Theological Studies at Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles. He has written numerous scholarly articles, and his area of research is on the study of Islam, specifically contemporary Muslim societies in North America.

Dialogslussen establishes tradition of dialogue dinner in Stockholm

Cihan News Agency, STOCKHOLM Renowned for its dialogue efforts across Sweden, the intercultural and interfaith dialogue institution, Dialogslussen, recently held its dialogue dinner that has come to be a tradition in Stockholm. In attendance of the gathering at Sheraton Hotel were Swedish minister for Public Administration and Housing, Stefan Attefall; State Secretary to the Minister […]

Bosnian Court Lifts Movement Restrictions on Turkish Citizen

A court in Bosnia and Herzegovina has terminated restrictions on the movement of Turkish citizen Fatih Keskin, previously imposed by the Service for Foreigners’ Affairs following his arrest and subsequent release in December last year, the court told.

IFLC: Promoting Intercultural Dialogue

In Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, there are institutions linked to “Hizmet” or “volunteer movement” better known as “Gulen Movement”, by the name of the person who inspired it, Fethullah Gulen, Turkey. It is an educational, intercultural and interfaith movement, transnational, with a presence in almost every country in the world. These institutions in the Dominican […]

Turkey seizes billions of dollars worth 691 companies over alleged ties to Gülen movement

The state-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) has announced that a total of 691 companies, some of whose assets are worth billions of dollars, have been seized by the government due to alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement. The government has been confiscating the private property of non-loyalist businesspeople without due process on unsubstantiated charges of terrorist links.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

HRW to Turkey: Investigate Ankara abductions, disappearances

Ugandan FA Minister: Turkish schools paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement on Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire

Planned prep school ban [in Turkey] disregards basic rights as in single-party era

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Ankara assassination: Why Erdogan blames the Gulenists and ignores the jihadists

Neither conservative nor democrat

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News