Defamation campaign against Hizmet condemned by CSOs from across country


Date posted: January 29, 2014

İSTANBUL

An ongoing defamation campaign targeting the Hizmet movement — a volunteer-based grassroots movement inspired by Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen that works in the field of education around the world and encourages interfaith dialogue — was condemned by many civil society organizations (CSO) from across the country on Wednesday.

A large-scale dark propaganda war is being conducted by some circles close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, particularly since a corruption scandal erupted in December of 2013 in which three Cabinet ministers’ sons, many state bureaucrats and renowned businessmen accused of giving bribes in exchange for favors were implicated. Government officials have accused the Hizmet movement of participating in a plot and using the corruption investigation to damage the government.

A total of 22 CSOs held a joint press conference in Bitlis province in southeastern Anatolia on Wednesday to condemn the vilification of the Hizmet movement. Speaking on behalf of the CSO group, Bitlis Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (BİSİAD) President Ayetullah Şimşek said that they, as 22 volunteer civil society organizations, collectively condemn the defamation campaign being conducted against the Hizmet movement which has provided countless good services in many countries. Stating that the Hizmet is a civil movement that encompasses volunteers from various segments of society who are working for the benefit of the Turkish nation, Şimşek said: “The Turkish schools established both in Turkey and foreign countries all over the world based on the sincere efforts and intentions of Anatolian people are also being defamed. Those Turkish schools introduce our culture to the world, construct bridges of peace, represent our country in the best way and give people around the world a good impression of the Turkish nation.”

Şimşek also said that labeling the movement, which serves as the volunteer representative of peace, with defamatory labels such as “the parallel state,” “a gang,” “a virus,” “a secret organization” and “Hashishin,” hurt the public conscience. Şimşek said: “The fact that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan gave ambassadors the duty of discrediting these Turkish schools in the countries where the ambassadors were serving at the recent Ambassadors’ Conference caused great disappointment in the public,” adding that targeting the esteemed Fethullah Gülen, who lives a life on an axis of love and respect and has no aim other than God’s contentment, with unmentionable defamatory words has broken many hearts.

In Ordu province, 30 CSOs released a joint public statement on Wednesday to demonstrate their reaction against the defamation campaign under way to disgrace the Hizmet movement.

Speaking on behalf of the group of 30 CSOs, educator Ali Erenler said that a campaign intended to erode the movement is under way. He said the Hizmet movement is being labeled with defamatory words without any substantiating information, documents or any kind of solid proof.

Erenler also said that many civil servants and bureaucrats had been were profiled as being close to the Hizmet movement and that they were reassigned without any legal basis in the wake of the graft probe made public on Dec. 17.

The Gebze Civil Society Platform, encompassing nine CSOs in Kocaeli province also protested the ongoing campaign of denigration being waged against the Hizmet movement in a press release on Wednesday. The platform said that the use of defamatory labels such as “Hashishin” for representatives of the Hizmet movement, which represents Turkey in many countries in best possible way, cannot be considered acceptable.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 29, 2014


Related News

FM Davutoğlu orders ambassadors to avoid Turkish Olympiads

With only a few months remaining before the 12th Turkish Language Olympiads, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has sent a message to Turkish ambassadors and diplomats serving abroad ordering them not to attend the overseas selections phase of the Olympiads, according to diplomatic sources.

Islamic scholar Gülen responds to Turkish PM’s ‘lair’ remark in heated row over graft probe

Islamist scholar Fethullah Gülen has countered the Turkish prime minister’s remarks vowing to clamp down on “the ones in lairs,” escalating the heat of the war of words between parties amid the ongoing corruption probe.

Deviation, crisis and opportunities…

The recent crisis going on between the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and the Hizmet movement is indeed not just a struggle between the two actors. It means much more than that. This fight represents a struggle between democracy and autocracy, freedom and oppression and a harmonious society and a polarized society.

Hira magazine changes perception of Turkey in Arab world

The Arab world is impressed and touched by Fethullah Gülen’s recommendation that the name of the magazine would be Hira. In regards to the name, Savaş says: “Hira was born strong and mature; every issue features pieces from the Arab world. Every writer is renowned and is popular in his country.

Ergenekon opinion lists subversive plans for coup d’état

A lead prosecutor involved in the trial of the Ergenekon terrorist organization listed in his final opinion of the case several plots by the terrorist group to spark chaos in society so as to lay the groundwork for a military coup. One such plan was the Action Plan to Fight Reactionaryism, which detailed a military campaign to destroy the image of the ruling AK Party and the faith-based Gulen movement in the eyes of the public.

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altiparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University told Los Angeles Times on Wednesday when describing how the lives of thousands of people change after the July 15 coup attempt.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Corruption probe [in Turkey]

What’s Friendship Got to Do With [Mr. Gulen’s] Extradition?

Fethullah Gülen donates $10,000 for victims of Typhoon Haiyan disaster in Philippines

Visually impaired journalist sent to prison over Gülen links

Al-Azhar has examined and approved all the works of Mr. Gulen

Istanbul court re-arrests former Zaman reporter minutes before leaving prison

Turkish charity announces cooperation with German counterpart

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News