Canada grants asylum to eight Gulenists under UN protection in Mongolia


Date posted: August 23, 2019

Eight Turkish citizens whose passports were revoked by the Turkish government and legal residence in Mongolia ended at the end of July travelled to Canada on August 11 just after Canada decided to grant asylum, Bold Medya reported on Thursday.

The people are accused by the Turkish government of having links to Turkey’s Gülen group, which is accused of masterminding a coup attempt in July 15, 2016.

The group denies any involvement in the attempt.

An officer from United Nations also escorted the group for the safe exit from Mongolia and security during the journey.

The group applied for asylum with the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) in order to avoid feared deportation to Turkey in June and they obtained asylum-seeker certificates that showed that they were under UN protection until Dec. 31, 2019.

They had worried about their future in Mongolia following an alleged Turkish intelligence operation to take a school director back to Turkey in July 2018 which was blocked by the Mongolian government at the last minute after it drew outrage from the public.

Source: Turkey Purge , August 23, 2019


Related News

Bosnian Court Lifts Movement Restrictions on Turkish Citizen

A court in Bosnia and Herzegovina has terminated restrictions on the movement of Turkish citizen Fatih Keskin, previously imposed by the Service for Foreigners’ Affairs following his arrest and subsequent release in December last year, the court told.

President Obama sends message to Gulen-inspired international cultural festival

US President Obama sends a message to Gulen-inspired “The International Festival of Language and Culture” that took place in Washington D.C. He said, “Festivals like this one allow us to bear witness to the ways hope and beauty stem from songs of inclusion.”

Pentagon Allies Jailed in Turkey Amid Coup Backlash, General Says

A top U.S. military commander said there was a persistent concern that the failed coup in Turkey – and the backlash by the Turkish government – would impair the Pentagon’s operations in the region.

Turkey’s ‘Nazi-style’ purge of academia condemned

The mass sacking of more than 1,200 academics in Turkey has been compared to tactics used in Nazi Germany. Jean Asselborn, Luxembourg’s foreign minister, made his comments shortly after Turkish authorities released a list of 1,273 academics fired from public universities on 29 October.

Detained Gülen school director to ask for asylum to avoid extradition

A detained Gülen school official is asking for asylum in Georgia in order to avoid extradition to Turkey, where he may face brutal and inhumane treatment, according to his lawyers. Georgia detained Mustafa Emre Cabuk in May. He is one of the managers of Demirel private schoool in Tbilisi.

Erdoğan escalates elimination of Gülenists from state [ with no proof of accusations]

Since the Dec. 17 graft probe, hundreds of prosecutors and judges and around 2,500 police officers who the government believes to be close to Gülen have been removed from their posts, and it seems that it is not going to stop there.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet, politics and political parties

Parents seek TL 40,000 in damages for violation of students’ educational rights

Gulen-linked body condemns attempted Turkey coup

Child of purged victim in Turkey says: I was 14 months old when my dad jailed

Mother with infant jailed while trying to visit imprisoned husband

Özfatura: Erdoğan does not want civil society that is not pro-AK Party

Turkey’s president orders closure of 1,000 private schools linked to Gülen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News