Canada’s Turkish community on edge as government crackdown continues

Queen's University student Inan Korkmaz, seen with wife Yasemin and daughter Asli Mina, was granted asylum in Canada in March based on his claim of political persecution by Turkey's regime.
Queen's University student Inan Korkmaz, seen with wife Yasemin and daughter Asli Mina, was granted asylum in Canada in March based on his claim of political persecution by Turkey's regime.


Date posted: May 12, 2017

Nicholas Keung, Immigration reporter

Shortly after the attempted coup last July against Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s regime, Inan Korkmaz found out from an online government decree that his government scholarship had been cancelled.

The Queen’s University computer engineering student also learned his educational credentials would not be recognized in Turkey because he was “connected” with the F..O — short for “Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organization,” which is how the Turkish government refers to the movement it claims was behind the July 15 coup.


Asylum claims have spiked in Canada and some here say they feel threatened by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s purge of thousands of people linked to the Gulen Movement, blamed for a failed 2016 coup.


With his postgraduate studies and status in Canada in jeopardy, Korkmaz went to the Turkish Embassy in Ottawa for assistance. Instead, officials there seized his passport, according to his asylum claim filed in January.

“The government shut down my bank account and my family couldn’t send money to help me,” said Korkmaz, 29, who came to study in Canada in 2011 on the scholarship and was granted asylum in March.

“They said my name was given by the intelligence service in Turkey. Unfortunately, they couldn’t do anything for me and must take away my passport,” he said. “I’m not political or anti-government. I’m innocent. Everyone is so afraid of this regime. I am so worried for my family in Turkey.”

In the aftermath of the failed coup — and the subsequent purge of thousands of workers accused of being dissidents — Canada has seen a spike in asylum claims from Turkey. The 55,000-strong Turkish-Canadian community has also become increasingly polarized, with distrust and accusations of witch hunts against anyone deemed to be a sympathizer and supporter of the so-called Gulen Movement.

Erdogan has blamed the bloody attempted coup on Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based former cleric billed as the spiritual leader of a movement that promotes a tolerant form of Islam, altruism and education.

 

According to the Immigration and Refugee Board, the number of refugee claims from Turkey almost quadrupled last year, to 1,106 from just 303 a year prior. Some 82 per cent of the claims were accepted, compared to the 63 per cent average for all refugees.

Mehmet Caman, a visiting political science professor at Newfoundland’s Memorial University, has tried to avoid the turmoil back home after he said he received a letter earlier this year from his boss at a Turkish university saying he was under investigation.

Caman, who has extended his sabbatical in Canada, said the dismissals and arrests of thousands of judges, public servants, journalists and academics in Turkey seem to be part of a “political purge.”

“We have a president as the head of the state who, de facto, has the entire power and control of the country. With the takeover of power, the constitution is no longer valid. There’s no rule of law in Turkey now,” said Caman, who taught in Germany for 15 years before coming here in 2015.

“There have been many reports of certain individuals being denied services like applying for power of attorney and birth certificates for their newborns here in Canada. These irregularities have never been seen before in the last 20 years. It is an uncomfortable situation for everyone in the community.”

Turkey’s ambassador to Canada, Selcuk Unal, said he could not comment on the specific allegations against his government but felt “some people” are trying to take advantage of the political situation in Turkey for asylum.

“Any person wanted and searched by the home authorities, we ask questions to the person. It is the same for every country,” Unal told the Star in an interview, denying the allegations of political purges levelled against the current Turkish regime.

“This issue about this terrorist group is real. They have infiltrated in different private and public institutions. We have detained 70,000 alleged members of the group but 25,000 of them have been cleared after investigations.”

Unal also played down the divisiveness within the diasporic community in Canada as a result of the failed coup, and the impact of the April referendum that has expanded the powers of President Ergodan’s office.

“In any democracy, there are different opinions. We had 51.5 per cent of people voting for the constitutional changes and 48 per cent of people against it,” said Unal. “It’s same for the Quebec (separation) referendum. Differences in and outside of Turkey are normal.”

The Nile Academy, a “Gulen-inspired” private school in Toronto, has blamed the crackdown on Gulen followers for its falling enrolment after the 2016 attempted coup.

“We registered more than 200 students from Turkey for September. Almost everyone withdrew their registration,” said a spokesperson for the school, who asked his name not be used for fear of repercussion.

“Some of the families were not in a good financial situation because of the political condition. Some had their passports and visas suspended by the government. Others decided to attend other private schools because they were afraid our high school diplomas are not going to be recognized.”

In April, some Toronto MPs received an email from a person identified as Ayesenur Dereci, who said she represented the Canadian Youth & Education Foundation (CAYEF), a non-governmental Turkish organization in Toronto with a mandate to “raise respectful youth to its national and spiritual values.”

“I would like to bring to your kind attention a flyer regarding an event on April 9 Sunday at Montecassino Hotel in Toronto,” said the email from Dereci’s CAYEF address that was obtained by the Star.

“I would like to inform you that this event has no relationship with the Turkish Canadian Community or the wider Muslim community. The organizers are directly linked with Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) who are the perpetrators of July 15 coup attempt in Turkey.”

The email also requested that recipients not attend the event.

Toronto MP Rob Oliphant (Don Valley West) said he is aware of concerns raised by the Turkish-Canadian community at meetings he has attended.

“I understand people do bring their interests, concerns and passion from their country when they come to Canada, but this is not the place to play out these conflicts in another country,” said Oliphant. “These conflicts need to stay in that country.”

 

Source: The Star , May 12, 2017


Related News

Gülen extends condolences for death of former deputy PM Arınç’s brother

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement, has offered condolences to former Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç, whose elder brother, Yıldıray Arınç, was laid to rest on Tuesday.

Today’s Zaman celebrates 6th anniversary with columnists, editors

Today’s Zaman editors and columnists came together to celebrate the daily’s sixth anniversary at a dinner on Monday night. Some 30 Today’s Zaman columnists and the daily’s editorial staff came together at the Today’s Zaman headquarters in İstanbul for the dinner. “Today’s Zaman has been acknowledged as a reliable source of news and analysis during […]

Turkey will conduct ‘operations’ against Erdogan’s enemies in U.S.

“This is a blatant and alarming admission by Turkey’s presidential spokesperson Ibrahim Kalin of actions by the Erdogan regime in clear violation of international law and agreements to which Turkey is a party.”

PM Erdoğan has one tone for Brussels, another for Turkey

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan shifted his rhetoric on his official visit to Brussels, dropping talk of a “parallel state” that is trying to unseat him when addressing European Union officials and foreign journalists — although he continued his defamation campaign against the Hizmet movement in meetings where he addressed Turkish audiences.

Is Anybody Out There?

In Turkey today, relief organization Kimse Yokmu, affiliated with the Fethullah Gulen inspired Hizmet movement has become the target of repeated attacks by Turkey’s political neo-tyrants, the most prominent of whom is President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Spy agency planning false-flag terror acts in crowded areas, whistleblower claims

A whistleblower who has a credible record of predicting police operations and government policies has made a surprising claim, arguing that the Turkish spy agency is planning to blow up crowded areas in order to frame the Gülen movement, a faith-based movement, as a terrorist organization.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Biggest NGO [ Kimse Yok Mu] Chief Discloses Plans to Extend to Gambia

Mother of 5 children abandoned in parking lot released on high bail

Peace Islands Institute Celebrates 10th Anniversary

Domestic violence addressed at GYV Women’s Platform int’l conference

Hatred-inciting discourses and the debate on ‘genocide and crime against humanity’

VIDEO – Was July 15 Erdogan’s Reichstag Fire?

GYV lashes out at ‘traitor’ label for attending EU ambassadors meeting

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News