Lawyer: Female journalist traumatized by abuse, torture at Turkish police station


Date posted: May 12, 2017

A female Turkish journalist who was in pre-trial detention for nine months has been subjected to inhumane and degrading treatment in police custody after she was re-arrested when a court decision to release her was not enforced, according to her lawyer.

Hanım Büşra Erdal, a court reporter and a lawyer, was subjected to a strip search at the police station and humiliated by police officers when she was taken from her prison cell as she was preparing to leave the prison after the judge ordered her release from pre-trial detention. Erdal, whose indictment lacks any evidence of violent or terrorist activity and only cites her articles in the critical Zaman daily, was ordered released pending trial on March 31.


Hanım Büşra Erdal was subjected to a strip search at the police station and humiliated by police officers when she was taken from her prison cell as she was preparing to leave the prison. A strip search is allowed only if circumstances so warrant. “She is a journalist and was taken from the prison. She was already going through routine checks and searches in prison,” her lawyer said.


However, following outrage in pro-government circles who wanted her to remain in jail indefinitely, another arrest warrant was issued that same day, before she was able to take one step outside the prison walls.

As if crushing her hopes of freedom were not enough, Erdal was taken to a police station and detained there for a day before she was returned to prison. Despite the fact that she did not present any risk of possessing contraband or a weapon as she was directly transferred from her prison cell, police strip searched her and humiliated her for hours as part of an unlawful punishment that amounted torture, her lawyer alleged in court, saying that Erdal has been traumatized by the experience.

Attorney Ümit Kardaş told the court on April 27 that “my client was subjected to inhumane treatment. She won her freedom but was put back in jail. A month has passed since her terrible ordeal at the police station, but she has not yet recovered from that trauma.”

While the lawyer was defending her in court, Erdal burst into tears. “You could say this was torture and abuse,” Kardaş stated.

He said a strip search is allowed only if circumstances so warrant. “She is a journalist and was taken from the prison. She was already going through routine checks and searches in prison. By forcibly removing her clothes while in police detention, the government wanted to humiliate and abuse her,” Kardaş alleged.

He said the independence of the judges was also violated since they were dismissed immediately after the decision to release. “The logic here is clear: These people won’t be released no matter what,” he said.

Erdal was arrested on July 29, 2016 on terror charges, subsequently indicted and now faces 10 years in prison over her articles in the Gülen movement-affiliated Zaman newspaper, which was seized by the government in March 2016 and subsequently shut down.

The journalist surrendered herself despite the fact that she had multiple visas for European countries and the United States and could have easily left the country. She has been in pre-trial detention since then. During the first hearing in the trial, she was released along with other 21 journalists who faced similar charges of terrorist activity because of their articles, comments and critical tweets.

Erdal is among scores of journalists jailed after a failed military coup in Turkey on July 15, 2016. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement despite the lack of any evidence to that effect and has shut down dozens of media outlets in addition to incarcerating their employees, earning the dubious honor of being the biggest jailer of journalists in the world.

Source: Turkish Minute , May 12, 2017


Related News

Kalashnikov-carrying police raid Gülen-inspired private and prep schools based on ‘reasonable suspicion’

Police carrying Kalashnikov rifles and inspectors from a number of government bodies raided 14 private and prep schools in Mardin province on Tuesday based on “reasonable suspicion” that the schools are involved in tax fraud, a move that comes as part of the government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement.

Erdoğan calls on US to extradite Gülen in return for jailed US pastor in Turkey

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has called on the US to extradite Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen in return for releasing American pastor Andrew Brunson, who has been jailed in Turkey since October 2016.

Kimse Yok Mu waits weeks for aid campaign go-ahead

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) has been waiting 37 days for permission from the İstanbul Governor’s Office to continue seven aid campaigns bringing various kinds of relief and services to people in need around the world.

Gulen-inspired school raided by Turkish diplomats, Turkish soldiers in Afghanistan

A group of Turkish diplomats led by Turkish Consul General Şevki Seçkin Alpay together with dozens of Turkish soldiers and Afghan military police officers raided an Afghan-Turk school in Mazar-e Sharif, northern Afghanistan, on Tuesday.

Is Hizmet being subjected to genocide? (2)

In a recently leaked voice recording, which was not denied by those involved in it, Erdoğan’s son, Bilal, tells his father that an operation should be launched against the Hizmet movement. All these incidents indicate that the ruling party has used and will use laws in accordance with Erdoğan’s plans. Thus, a group cannot be destroyed solely with mass killings. It can be destroyed also with unfair and unlawful practices by passing specific laws, as we saw in many cases in the past.

Erdogan caught off guard in latest political crisis

Nobody thought Turkey’s powerful Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan would be caught so off guard — not after last summer’s Gezi Park protests — as he apparently was before the major graft probe, which involves four of his ministers, including the minister of interior and his sons. It is clear he sees a “shadow state” behind the operation and holds the Gulen movement responsible. Indications are Erdogan intends to “strike back” with a massive purge within the police.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Money trail in corruption case

Kimse Yok Mu officials hand out aid with flashlights in rain

Abant Platform discusses terror at UN headquarters in Vienna

Self-exiled Islamic scholar Gülen rejects Khomeini analogy for potential return to Turkey

Minister’s remarks on Gülen cause AK Party members to resign

Police pressure businessmen who sued Erdoğan over Hizmet remarks

Police detain Bursa woman on coup charges a day after giving birth

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News