Back to school in Turkey after post-coup teacher purge

School children gather to receive their text books on the first day back at school on September 19, 2016 in Istanbul (Photo: AFP)
School children gather to receive their text books on the first day back at school on September 19, 2016 in Istanbul (Photo: AFP)


Date posted: September 20, 2016

Turkish schools reopened Monday for the first time since the July 15 coup following a summer which saw tens of thousands of teachers sacked or suspended over “links” to the plotters or to Kurdish rebels.

As more than 18 million children began the new term after the summer break, Huseyin Ozev, president of the Istanbul teachers’ union, told AFP there were fears the academic year would begin with “chaos” because of huge staff shortages.

After a rogue military faction tried to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in mid-July, Ankara embarked on a massive crackdown, dismissing and detaining tens of thousands of people within the judiciary, the police and the education system over alleged links to the plotters.

Students arriving at school on Monday were handed pamphlets from the education ministry commemorating “the triumph of democracy on July 15 and in memory of the martyrs” as well as their usual school books, an AFP photographer said.

Pupils will be shown two videos about the coup, the ministry said, including footage of Erdogan reading the national anthem alongside images from the night of the coup showing tanks and war planes firing in the capital Ankara.

One video shows the moment when people took to the streets in their thousands in Istanbul and Ankara to counter the coup attempt, which claimed nearly 270 lives, among them 24 putschists.

In schoolyards, students observed a minute of silence for the victims and a prayer was said.

Union chief Ozev warned that children’s education could suffer if inexperienced teachers were called in to fill the staffing shortages.

Speaking to AFP, he said the school year was likely to be characterised by “general chaos” due to the fact “there are 40,000 to 50,000 vacancies and no preparation on the side of the ministry of education.”

Cigdem, a teacher in Istanbul, attacked the government’s actions as opportunism as she defended her colleagues.

“We won’t them let do that, we will not let down our schools. We are not coup-mongers or terrorists, we are teachers.”

Authorities have blamed the attempted coup on Erdogan’s arch-enemy, the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, and followers of his moderate Islamic “Hizmet” movement which encourages its members to work in the public sector.

Gulen, who lives in self-exile in the United States, strongly denies any involvement in the coup, and the mass crackdown on his alleged supporters has sparked alarm among Turkey’s Western allies.

Tens of thousands of staff in the education sector alone have been suspended or dismissed, while another 11,500 teachers suspected of links to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) were suspended earlier this month.

The PKK, which has waged a insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984, is considered as a terror organisation by Ankara, the United States and the European Union.

There have been almost daily attacks by the PKK since a two-year ceasefire collapsed in July 2015, while the Turkish authorities have stepped up their military campaigns in the restive southeast in response.

Source: Ahram Online , September 19, 2016


Related News

Students from around the globe spread the idea of ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’

More than 400 students from 17 nations assembled in New Delhi on May 7 for the 14th International Festival of Language & Culture (IFLC 2016) which had the premise ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam (The world is one family)’ to spread the message of global peace and cultural harmony.

Bank Asya recovers from gov’t provocation

The clampdown on the Bank Asya first started with a defamation campaign run by pro-government media outlets and was later followed by a claim by Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who asserted that the bank had made extraordinary profits on the foreign currency market. All these allegations were refuted by the bank, which published their currency transactions; the central bank has confirmed that there has been no wrongdoing by the bank.

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

As the government has launched a sweeping campaign to eliminate any employees, be they public servants or academics, that it suspects of having links with Hizmet from state institutions, Özsoy said the purge is not restricted to state universities. It now includes private universities, too.

Lynching campaign: Democratic stance of Zaman and Today’s Zaman

We have been observing a systematic campaign of lynching in social media against Zaman and Today’s Zaman. Zaman has been on the side of democracy since it was launched. To this end, it has supported the democratic reforms that Turgut Özal initiated as well as the EU membership bid and the AK Party’s democratic reforms. Zaman has never wavered in its democratic stance despite all direct and indirect pressures.

Gülen asked government to be more careful on the language they use: Deputy PM Arınç

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen asked the Turkish government to be more careful in regional and international issues during his visit, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said May 22 in an interview with public broadcaster TRT. Arınç had meeting with Gülen, who lives in a self-imposed exiled in Pennsylvania, on the sidelines of Prime Minister Recep […]

Plot against Gülen movement put into action based on lies, false confessions

An alleged secret plot against members of the faith-based Gülen movement — inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, which became public last year, is being put into action step by step based on questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Abant Platform Proposes Mother Tongue Education

Gülen’s lawyer: a civilian structure demonized by fictitious slurs

Yet another woman detained due to Gülen links shortly after delivery

Dismissed after coup attempt, teacher detained during visit to imprisoned relative

International Festival of Language and Culture

Turkish cultural center celebrates opening in Mount Prospect

Detained Turkish Journalists Follow Teachings of US-based Preacher

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News