How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Markar ESAYAN
Markar ESAYAN


Date posted: February 9, 2012

After the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) assumed office in 2002, the “missionary threat” was brought to the agenda of the National Security Council (MGK) out of the blue.

This council had been acting just like a shadow cabinet as it was dominated by top brass commanders and enjoyed powers and authorities that were nearly equal and even superior to those of the government under Law No. 2945.

Markar ESAYAN, Wednesday 08 February 2012

The Secretariat General was the mastermind behind this organization. The decisions made mainly by MGK’s military members would be imposed on civilian members, i.e., the top government executives. In a MGK preliminary meeting held in the fall of 2003 when the ruling AK Party was focusing on promoting the country’s bid to become a full member of the European Union, the “threats from missionaries and non-Muslim minorities” were listed as priority issues to be discussed.

According to the MGK, the country faced a big threat from missionaries and non-Muslim minorities. Hundreds of churches were organizing in the disguise of missionary activities to divide the country. The same mindset urged that the Gülen movement (aka Hizmet Movement), which appeared as a Muslim movement, was actually “a Trojan horse sent to the country.” There were natural allies to supporters of this mentality that fed on the established perceptions of Armenians and Christians. In his book, “Bi Ermeni var: Hrant Dink Operasyonunun Şifreleri” (There’s this Armenian: The Codes of the Dink Operation) journalist Adem Yavuz Arslan wrote, “Some former Islamists, former ultranationalists, former leftist activists, retired military officers and retired high judges banded together under the roof of the Milli Çözüm magazine and met at various panels and platforms as if they had received a signal from somewhere.” Yes, this was exactly what happened.

Every day divinity professors and writers, such as Ergün Poyraz, who the military, it was later found, paid to write propaganda books against the AK Party and the Gülen movement — some of whom today are standing trial in the case of Ergenekon, a clandestine organization nested within the state, trying to overthrow or manipulate the democratically elected government — appeared on TV to deliver speeches about how the AK Party was selling the country in return for EU membership and using exaggerated and blood chilling phrases so as to provoke the general public against the so-called missionary threat. As I remember very clearly, one of the divinity professors said, “If the government does not penalize them, our public knows what to do with them.” A MGK document dated Nov. 17, 2003 and signed by Şükrü Sarıışık said the number of missionaries in 2000 in Turkey was 54. Thus, the MGK prepared a 40-page report about these 54 people. It created hell over 54 missionaries in a 74-million EU-member candidate country, with complete ignorance of the fact that conducting missionary activities is a constitutional right. In addition, the number of members of the Protestant community living in the country was only 3,000. That means they must have had other intentions. The incoming disaster was so obvious that the US warned Turkey ahead of the murder of priest Father Andrea Santoro, the assassination of Hrant Dink and the killing of missionaries in Malatya. This process had also been disclosed in WikiLeaks documents the Taraf newspaper published. In these negotiations, the US cautioned that the ongoing harsh discourse might lead to a wave of violence against Christians living in the country, in which case, the US would have a hard time supporting Turkey’s EU bid.

A sermon, prepared by the Turkish Religious Affairs Directorate and recited at all mosques across the country on March 11, 2005, read: “They recruited so-called sacred armies in order to destroy Muslims and Islam as the only religion acceptable to God, but they could not attain their goals. … As was the case in history, the same forces are today working in a planned and organized manner to severe our people’s connection to Islam, as they see this religion as the biggest obstacle to their interests and domination. … They are trying to strip our children and youth of their faith in Islam, making use of ethnic separatism, sectarian differences, economic and political problems and even natural disasters, such as earthquakes and floods.”

This sermon raised concerns for Westerners. They wanted the Turkish authorities to take measures. To EU and US officials, Mehmet Aydın, the state minister in charge of religious affairs, said: “They can do as they please. … ‘There is no salvation without surrendering to Jesus’ is prayed in churches every day. The missionary movement is extremely planned and has political motives, rather than being about conveying the message of a religion or enjoying the freedom of religion.”

According to the documents leaked by WikiLeaks, the AK Party members who had previously worked at the Religious Affairs Directorate did not approve the content of the sermon or Aydın’s remarks. They said the missionary threat was being exaggerated and Aydın’s attitude didn’t reflect the AK Party’s views about freedom of religion. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan felt that the rising danger was actually speaking to the AK Party. “Just as German authorities allow thousands of mosques to be opened in Germany, we should act in the same manner. We should not be afraid of the freedom of faith. Don’t be afraid of the freedom of faith,” he said.

I will continue to discuss how we stepped into the missionary threat trap in my next column.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist-270882-how-did-we-step-into-the-missionary-threat-trap.html


Related News

Ugandan opinion leader refutes news report which defames Hizmet Movement

Speaking to the Cihan news agency, Dr. Anas Abdunoor Kaliisa said he did not give such a statement to Yeni Şafak and such a slander is not unacceptable. “They asked me some questions about Hizmet Movement. I stated that Turkish schools contribute a lot to education of Uganda.

Turkish Cultural Center aims to bridge East and West

PAUL GRONDAHL Staff writer MENANDS — The Turks are rising in the Capital Region. In the past six months, Turks have bought a building on Broadway in Menands, renovated it and created the Turkish Cultural Center of Albany with the help of the organization’s first paid full-time employee. Once limited mostly to a few graduate […]

Why do they lie about Fethullah Gülen?

There are two major allegations that are currently employed in the United States by Gülen opponents in order to discredit and cause fear mongering about him: One that the charter schools opened in various states by Turkish-Americans are connected to Gülen, and that they are spreading “Islamic fundamentalism.

Gülenist refugees from Turkey start over in U.S.

Scholars and academics may quibble about how to classify Fethullah Gülen, but pretty much all reasonable watchers of international politics agree that Erdoğan is power hungry, paranoid and increasingly autocratic.

Witch hunt against the Gülen followers in Europe

Political madness in Turkey is at its peak. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan does not even refrain from using the term “witch hunt” against the Gülen followers. When Erdoğan and his circle don’t find any evidence, they allegedly try to produce evidence. Bureaucrats who don’t want to be part of Erdoğan’s witch hunt have sent letters to the media and prosecutors confessing what they are doing. Unfortunately, what they said in those letters has been confirmed by later developments.

91-year-old philanthropist targeted in witch-hunt operation in Erzurum passes away

A 91-year-old man, Alaattin Öksüz, who came to public attention in February when police officers attempted to detain him as part of an operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, has died.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu awarded in Davos

Turkish school to open many new branches in Egypt

Collective punishment [of Hizmet movement]

Turkish preacher isn’t running terrorist gang

Executives of TUSKON call on Ghana GCCI

Pro-Erdogan gang leader says will hang all Gülenists

Turkey’s Erdogan and unending human rights repression

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News