Canada grants asylum to eight Gulenists under UN protection in Mongolia


Date posted: August 23, 2019

Eight Turkish citizens whose passports were revoked by the Turkish government and legal residence in Mongolia ended at the end of July travelled to Canada on August 11 just after Canada decided to grant asylum, Bold Medya reported on Thursday.

The people are accused by the Turkish government of having links to Turkey’s Gülen group, which is accused of masterminding a coup attempt in July 15, 2016.

The group denies any involvement in the attempt.

An officer from United Nations also escorted the group for the safe exit from Mongolia and security during the journey.

The group applied for asylum with the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) in order to avoid feared deportation to Turkey in June and they obtained asylum-seeker certificates that showed that they were under UN protection until Dec. 31, 2019.

They had worried about their future in Mongolia following an alleged Turkish intelligence operation to take a school director back to Turkey in July 2018 which was blocked by the Mongolian government at the last minute after it drew outrage from the public.

Source: Turkey Purge , August 23, 2019


Related News

Giuliani pressed Trump to eject Muslim cleric from U.S., a top priority of Turkish president, former officials say

Rudolph W. Giuliani privately urged President Trump in 2017 to extradite a Turkish cleric living in exile in the United States, a top priority of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, according to multiple former administration officials familiar with the discussions.

German ambassador: Berlin does not recognize Gülen movement as ‘terrorist’ group

German Ambassador to Turkey Martin Erdmann has said his country’s judiciary does not recognize the Gülen movement as a terrorist organization and that Turkey should present credible evidence of criminal activity to Germany for the extradition of Gülen-linked individuals.

Greek Orthodox Bishop Demetrios Honored

Bishop Demetrios received the Niagara Foundation’s Fethullah Gulen Award during the 5th Annual Peace and Dialogue Awards program held on May 4 at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in the city’s downtown. An estimated 250 people turned out for the event, including local religious leaders from such denominations as the Episcopal church, the Jewish faith and the […]

US court gives Gülen 21 days to present his defense

The extradition of U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen was “unofficially” demanded in a civil suit filed last week by lawyers hired by the Turkish government, while a judge who accepted the appeal has given Gülen 21 days to respond to accusations filed against him.

A new Exilic Community: The Hizmet Movement

After the alleged military coup that failed, the Islamic-rooted government forced hundreds of thousands of faith-based community members out of Turkey, causing a massive diaspora of Turkish citizens (deprived, however, of their citizenship) around the world.

As Turks flee oppression, Ottawa urged to speak out on human rights issues

Asylum seekers are still fleeing Turkey for Canada and other western countries, Kaplan said. “There’s at least 14 families (in my neighbourhood in Ottawa). I mean ladies (with kids). All their husbands have been arrested (in Turkey,)” he said. The women are not comfortable speaking out publicly for fear it could imperil their husbands behind bars in Turkey, he added.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey Coup Attempt Leaves America With Stark Choice

GYV says arrest warrant for Gülen motivated by upcoming election

Report reveals closure of prep schools against Constitution

Statement on Chapel Hill Shootings

Pregnant woman kept in prison for 4 months over Gülen links despite regulations

Turkish Authorities Deny Funeral Service for Drowned Gulen Supporters and babies

I object to AK Party’s ‘New Turkey’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News