UN demands access to 3 Turks forcibly returned from Malaysia

İhsan Aslan (L), İsmet Özçelik (C) and Turgay Karaman
İhsan Aslan (L), İsmet Özçelik (C) and Turgay Karaman


Date posted: June 3, 2017

The United Nations Human Rights Committee has urged Turkey to confirm the whereabouts of three Turkish nationals who were detained in Malaysia at Ankara’s request due to their ties to the faith-based Gülen movement, a statement by the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform said.

According to the Thursday statement by the Intercultural Dialogue Platform, a network of dialogue institutes in Europe inspired by the views of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the UN has taken groundbreaking interim decisions which demand that the Turkish government provide prompt access toTurgay Karaman, a school principal, İhsan Arslan, a businessman, and İsmet Özçelik, an academic, who were detained in Kuala Lumpur at Turkey’s request in early May and were arrested after being deported to Turkey from Malaysia

In a May 19 letter to the victims’ lawyers in Brussels, the UN Human Rights Committee urged Turkey to take all necessary measures to confirm the whereabouts of the detainees and to officially inform the committee, their families and lawyers.

The three Turkish nationals — Karaman, Aslan and Özçelik — were detained by Malaysian officials in Kuala Lumpur and deported to Turkey on May 11. The trio was taken into custody upon their arrival in Ankara as part of investigations into the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding a July 15, 2016 coup attempt. The movement denies any involvement.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , June 2, 2017


Related News

Inside the eye of Turkey’s political storm, in rural Pennsylvania

A moderate preacher rooted in the Sufi mystic tradition of Islam, Mr. Gulen is known for emphasizing interfaith dialogue. But Mr. Erdogan calls Mr. Gulen and his followers a “cancer” and a “terrorist organization” that is building a “parallel state.” The rancour is personal.

Students from 140 countries to participate in Turkish Olympiads this year

A total of 2,000 students from 140 countries will attend the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, which brings together hundreds of foreign students studying at Turkish schools around the world, this year. A press conference was held by a member of the International Turkish Olympiads organizing committee, Işılay Saygın, on Monday in İzmir to give details […]

Erdogan Moves to Shut Prep Schools in Blow to Gulen Followers

The issue is important to Gulen’s followers, who teach about 400,000 of the 1.2 million prep school students. The schools offer additional training to students preparing for exams from elementary schools to universities.
Erdogan has so far removed thousands of police officers and prosecutors on suspected ties to Gulen’s movement, while pro-government media has targeted companies for alleged links to the cleric.

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altiparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University told Los Angeles Times on Wednesday when describing how the lives of thousands of people change after the July 15 coup attempt.

Erdoğan gov’t threatened to ‘wipe TUSKON off market map,’ says chairman

One of Turkey’s most influential business confederations, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), was threatened with being “wiped off the market” by the government after TUSKON made critical statements about government policies, chairman Rızanur Meral told the media on Friday.

Gülen calls on corrupt politicians to confess their sins, beg forgiveness

Turkish intellectual and Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen called on senior officials in Turkey on Friday to repent for their sins and lies made to scapegoat others and avoid the blame for their own corruption.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Sakarya court orders stay of execution on closure of Fatih Koleji

(Not a joke) Turkish governor: ISIL terrorist detonated himself in construction site not to harm neighbors

Opposition, diplomats slam gov’t attempt to shut down Turkish schools

Asylum for Fethullah Gulen Movement Supporters?

Gülen’s message on ISIL in UK-based Guardian newspaper

Germany Accuses Turkey Of ‘Unacceptable’ Spying Against Gülen Supporters

Interview with Gulen in Kenya’s Daily Nation

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News