Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey


Date posted: February 11, 2017

Bill Sherman

Mahir Zeynalov has the distinction of being one of the first journalists kicked out of Turkey by the government of President Tayyip Erdogan in a crackdown on the media.

And he considers himself lucky; 55 journalists he worked with at Zaman, once a leading Turkish newspaper with a circulation of about a million, were later jailed in the crackdown.

Zeynalov was in Tulsa for several days this week, speaking at the University of Tulsa, Oral Roberts University and other venues about recent troubles in Turkey.

A native of Azerbaijan, he moved to Turkey when he was in his late teens, and is married to a Turkish woman. He has worked as a correspondent for newspapers in Turkey, Azerbaijan and the United States, the last seven years for Zaman, a publication associated with the Fethullah Gulen Movement in Turkey. Gulen is a Muslim cleric exiled from Turkey now living in Pennsylvania.

Zeynalov’s troubles came to a head in late 2014, he said in a Thursday interview.

He was called to a police station for questioning after writing about a scandal in the Erdogan government.

“It was quite embarrassing for Erdogan,” he said.

He was charged with inciting hatred and animosity among the public. He thought he could avoid arrest by staying in the Zaman newsroom in Istanbul, he said, but when police came to the newsroom, he fled out a back door and went into hiding, ditching all electronic devices that could be traced.

For three days, his wife did not know what had happened to him.

He finally surrendered to the airport police and was forced to leave the country, without his wife.

He went to Azerbaijan, but trumped-up charges were filed there, inspired by Turkey, he said, and he fled to the United States.

“I was newly married. …. I had a beautiful house, a good-paying job, a good life.

“Suddenly, in one night, it all ended. I had to leave overnight. I couldn’t say goodbye to my friends. I couldn’t even sell my furniture …”

Zeynalov has lived in the Washington, D.C., since then.

He worked as a correspondent for Zaman until the Turkish government shut down the newspaper last July following a coup attempt. Erdogan blamed the coup attempt on Gulen, and asked the United States to extradite him. The U.S. refused to do so, saying it lacked evidence of his involvement in the coup.

The Turkish government shut down 149 media outlets, Zeynalov said, many of them not associated with the Gulen Movement.

“Erdogan has cast his net wide,” he said.

Zeynalov worked to get his wife a visa to move to the United States, and she joined him in November.

He said the couple don’t know what their future holds, but if they return to Turkey now, they will be arrested.

“I’m here for good. I’m banned from Turkey. I can’t even go to embassy,” he said.

He said he has been offered newspaper positions, but feels the most important thing he can do now is travel around the United States educating people about the crisis in Turkey.

“Turkey is a very important country that the United States may not want to lose as a strategic ally,” he said.

“Turkey had been a democracy a decade ago, and it’s not today. There are big lessons to learn from Turkey, how leaders in democratic countries like Turkey could manipulate the media, manipulate one part of society with the populist rhetoric, and without violating any laws, can transform the country.”

Turkey is drifting away from the Western orbit, and aligning more with autocratic nations like China and Russia, he said.

As an example, one Turkish lawmaker recently called NATO a terrorist organization, he said.

He said Erdogan and the Turkish government were “euphoric” when President Donald Trump won the U.S. election, and condemned the anti-Trump protesters as being disrespectful to democracy following free elections.

Erdogan had differences with then-president Barack Obama, he said, because Obama armed the Kurds, and Turkey fears a separatist Kurdish movement.

He said Turkey is hopeful that Trump will be a better partner to work with it to fight ISIS, and will be more amenable to extraditing Gulen.


Related News on Zeynalov

Today’s Zaman journalist faces deportation [from Turkey] over critical tweets on government

Turkish paper says journalist expelled for criticizing Erdogan

With happy life left behind, hardship awaits us as exiled family

 

Source: Tulsa World , February 10, 2017


Related News

Turkey: Post-coup prisoner says threatened with rape, beaten almost to death

In the latest of firsthand letters revealing the re-emergence of torture in Turkish prisons, an Antalya arrestee reportedly said he was beaten so badly that he blacked out for some time and was also threatened with rape.

Fethullah Gülen’s message to PM Tayyip Erdoğan regarding consultants [in 2005]

Mehmet Gündem: If you were to write a letter or send a message to the Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan, what would you tell him? Fethullah Gülen: “Do not be content with employing consultants only from among the admirers of your party. Do not only speak with your own organizations. Benefit from the wise people who love Turkey; because they act objectively, and seek no personal gain.”

Fethullah Gülen on Islam, democracy and freedom of speech

Publishing a book in 2009 about Francis of Assisi’s peaceful encounter with Egypt’s Sultan Malik al-Kamil during the Fifth Crusade led me to meet a lot of people with an interest in improving interreligious relations. Among them were a number of Turkish immigrants who are followers of the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. I observed that through a network of private schools, foundations and media organizations, they have worked very hard to improve Muslim-Christian relations.

Independent deputy says there may be an attempt to pin political murders on Gülen movement

İlhan İşbilen, an independent deputy for İzmir, has said some sections of society are part of a “dirty scenario” that aims to make sure the Gülen movement, a faith-based grassroots social initiative, is uttered in the same breath as extrajudicial political killings.

Pregnant woman jailed over Gülen links sent back to prison after losing baby

Hanife Çiftçi, who was jailed in June when she was seven weeks pregnant due to her alleged links to the Gülen movement, lost her unborn baby and was sent back to prison from the hospital on the same day, the tr724 news website reported on Wednesday.

EU, US Have Little Leverage as Turkish Democracy Backslides

“In the big picture, Erdogan knows that the EU needs Turkey and will come back begging for a new agreement on the migrants. That’s why he will play a game of brinksmanship,” said Soner Cagaptay, the director of the Turkish program at The Washington Institute.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Ministry allegedly profiled students of dershanes close to Hizmet

How does the Hizmet movement fare with democracy?

Turkish charities dedicate well in Uganda to James Foley

Parents Reject Decision to Shut Down Gülen-inspired Schools in Morocco

Strategic defamation by Stratfor

CHP asks gov’t about file allegedly targeting TUSKON

America’s first Islamic university starts academic journey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News