Junior Coalition Partner Demands Explanation Why Bulgarian Govt Turned over Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey


Date posted: August 17, 2016

Right-wing Reformist Bloc, the junior partner in Bulgaria’s minority coalition cabinet, has demanded that Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova explain to Parliament why the government turned over Turkish businessman Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey last week.

“The Reformist Bloc expresses disagreement with the violation of basic principles that guide the coalition; for us these are the rule of law and the Euro-Atlantic orientation of the country,” the Reformist Bloc said in a statement on Tuesday.

The danger of migrant influx into Bulgaria can’t be the subject of bilateral arrangements between Bulgaria and Turkey, the Reformist Bloc (RB) said.

“Given the changed political situation and the increased migration pressure on the Bulgarian border, a common European position on the refugee crisis is needed to protect the interests of the countries standing in the first line – Bulgaria and Greece,” the RB added.Ankara had sought the extradition of Abdullah Buyuk, claiming that he had close links with U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen blamed as the mastermind of the failed coup attempt in Turkey.

Two courts in Bulgaria had denied the extradition request on grounds Buyuk could face political persecution in but the government in Sofia expelled him last week citing his failure to leave Bulgaria within the time frame specified in his residence permit.

The expulsion of Abdullah Buyuk contravenes the constitution as well as Bulgarian and international laws, Bulgaria’s National Ombudsman Maya Manolova has said.

Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has denied any direct link between the expulsion of Buyuk and the government’s efforts to avoid an increased migrant inflow into Bulgaria from Turkey.

Source: Novinite , August 16, 2016


Related News

EU’s Flautre says PM Erdoğan’s harsh words against Hizmet not acceptable

Hélène Flautre, the co-chairwoman of the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee, has criticized Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s harsh rhetoric against the Hizmet movement, saying that Erdoğan’s use of labels such as “traitor,” “virus” and “assassin” are simply not acceptable.

US law professor has no doubt Gulen trial in Turkey was political

05 February 2012, Sunday / AKIN KARAGÜLLE, İSTANBUL James C. Harrington, director of the Texas Civil Rights Project and a law professor at the University of Texas, wrote a book titled “Wrestling with Free Speech, Religious Freedom, and Democracy in Turkey: The Political Trials and Times of Fethullah Gülen” on the trial of renowned Islamic […]

Leaked emails reveal Erdoğan’s son-in-law’s team fabricated news against Gülen in US

An email included in Wikileaks’ Monday publication of the leaked emails of Berat Albayrak, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s son-in-law and Turkey’s minister of energy, shows that Albayrak fabricated news with pro-government people in the United States in order to defame the Gülen movement in the US media.

M. Fethullah Gülen: educator, mystic, peacebuilder

Remarkably, President Erdogan has zero evidence to back up his charge that Mr. Gülen was behind the failed coup. If extradited to Turkey, Mr. Gülen would appear before a kangaroo court and be sentenced to death.

Should We Send A Man We Know Is Innocent To His Death Abroad?

Wow…realpolitik will take precedence. It’s okay to send Gulen to his death. What do we care about the execution of a Muslim cleric who paid for full-page ads in the New York Times to condemn 9/11 attacks, the Charlie Hebdo attacks, and ISIS, forged ties between Jews, Christians and Muslims, who came to America because of our freedoms, and will honor our request, putting his fate in God’s hands, and our own. And why do we care that he goes to his death at the hands of a man who had good things to say about Hitler’s system of government.

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences and Condemnation of the Terrorist Attack in Istanbul

Fethullah Gülen: I condemn, in the strongest terms, the cruel terrorist attack carried out beside the Istanbul Beşiktaş Football Stadium that cost the lives of 44 of Turkish citizens, the majority of whom are members of the security forces.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Albania: Erdoğan given appropriate response to ‘political’ request on Turkish schools

Zeki Saritoprak speaks on Gulen Movement at Chautauqua Institution

The UN High-Level Reception Highlights the Role of Public-Private Partnerships

285 Turkish teachers and families risk forcible deportation and persecution in Pakistan

Hospital to be opened by volunteer Turkish doctors in Ethiopia

Emotional farewell for Turkish teachers

World Refugee Day Message from Fethullah Gülen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News