Political raids targeting educational institutions a ‘hate crime’

Lawyers representing the private Samanyolu Educational Institution and the FEM prep schools in Eskişehir province to take repeated political raids against the establishment to court, underlining that the measures constitute to a “hate crime.”
Lawyers representing the private Samanyolu Educational Institution and the FEM prep schools in Eskişehir province to take repeated political raids against the establishment to court, underlining that the measures constitute to a “hate crime.”


Date posted: August 6, 2015

Last week, police from the Eskişehir Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime Unit accompanied by officials and inspectors from eight institutions—including tax auditors from the Finance Ministry, and inspectors from the Social Security Institution (SGK), Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, and the Ministry of Agriculture and the Fire Department—stormed eight establishments operated by the two institutions, including a student dormitory.

Controversy and outrage has grown over the targeting of scores of educational institutions across the country founded by the followers and sympathizers Hizmet movement, inspired by Islamic Preacher Fethullah Gülen.

Samanyolu Education Foundation’s Lawyer Selamet Şen has stated that the measures constitute to nothing more than a hate crime and discrimination, underlining that the institutions are both open for inspections which they have passed with flying colors.

“The institutions and their business interests are being targeted simply over the political and philosophical views of their founders and supporters,” stated Şen, elaborating on the element of intimidation in the raids. The institutions have been frequently audited in the past few months with no wrong-doing found. “I do not understand what concern would prompt eight institutions, featuring three schools, a dormitory and four prep-schools, to be rigorously inspected by three buses filled with inspectors from eight different inspectors.”

Lawyer Şen also stated that the officials have failed to present any documentation in the inspections, adding that the legal team of the institutions have discovered that the orders for the raid were given by the Eskişehir Governor’s Office and the National Police Force.

Expressing that the legal team will file a criminal complaint to the prosecutor’s office, the lawyer added “There will come a day that the powers behind this will be brought to justice. When that day comes we will file another criminal complaint. These crimes will not exceed the statute of limitations.”

The private Burç High School in the Çukurova district of southern province of Adana, was also subjected to a second raid in less than 4 months by the police, accompanied by officials from eight state bodies on Wednesday.

Source: BGNNews , August 5, 2015


Related News

Police wait outside delivery room to detain woman who just gave birth

A group of police officers are reportedly waiting outside the delivery room in Niğde Hayat Hospital in order to detain Büneyye Ö. who just gave birth. According to the report, police are now at the hospital to detain the woman over her alleged links to the Gülen movement.

TUSİAD chairman says does not see ‘parallel structure’ within state

Turkish Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (TÜSİAD) Chairman Haluk Dinçer has said that he does not see any “parallel structure” within the state as is asserted by pro-government circles, adding that discharging some police officers on accusations of illegal wiretapping does not prove the existence of such a structure.

Erdoğan says personally pursuing fight against ‘parallel structure’

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan acknowledged during a speech on Tuesday that he has personally been pursuing a “fight” against the so-called “parallel structure,” adding that his administration is ready to cooperate with district governors to “clear” its members from state bureaucracy.

Terrorist investigation against Kimse Yok Mu draws strong reactions

A shocking investigation being conducted by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office against prominent charity organization Kimse Yok Mu on charges of terrorism has been met with strong reactions from experts, who question how a charity can be accused of terrorism for delivering aid to those in need.

American reporters got an intriguing glimpse into the political mind-set in Turkey

Turkish leaders said they were astonished that they had so far been unsuccessful in persuading the United States Justice Department to even ask a federal judge to extradite Fethullah Gulen. The Turkish government said it had provided the United States with extensive proof against Mr. Gulen, who has denied involvement. But Turkish officials refused in several interviews to publicize a single piece of that evidence.

Should I not respond to those who want to strangle me?

HÜSEYİN GÜLERCE The move to close down prep schools is getting complicated. Things are going out of hand, and the discussions over this serious education issue are becoming less serious and more irrelevant. A Justice and Development Party (AK Party) deputy who is also a member of the education commission made a horrible remark comparing […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

In redemption days hoping for better

Human Rights Watch: Emergency Decrees Facilitate Torture in Turkey

World’s oldest temple closed to visitors due to excavation team links with Gülen

Slanders against Hizmet Movement at highest level, which offends Anatolians

Purge-victim businessman dies of cancer days after being released from prison

International Panel: The Virgin Mary in the Holy Books [in Istanbul]

Profiled lawyer files criminal complaint against MİT, MGK

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News