Gülen’s lawyer: Pro-gov’t columnist’s claims on religious directorate ‘disgusting scenario’

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, is seen in this file photo taken in 2014. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mevlüt Karabulut)
Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, is seen in this file photo taken in 2014. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mevlüt Karabulut)


Date posted: May 14, 2015

A lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly denied allegations by a pro-government columnist who argued that the Gülen movement is behind recent “attacks” on the Religious Affairs Directorate, saying the baseless claims are a part of a “disgusting scenario to divide the nation.”

Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah Albayrak, issued a statement in response to an article by by pro-government Star daily columnist Nuh Albayrak, who argued on Wednesday that after the government began to not respond positively to the demands of the Gülen movement on issues related to the Religious Affairs Directorate, the movement launched a war against the institution and its head, Mehmet Görmez. The columnist claimed that the movement, which he refers to as the parallel structure — a term coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to disparage the movement — is behind the recent increase in criticism of the directorate by the opposition as well.

He further argued that the movement, and even Gülen personally, wanted to prevent the employment of Professor Kemalettin Özdemir, a former member of the movement, at the directorate. The columnist claimed this was done by telling Görmez that the professor had “inappropriate relations” with women.

The columnist also claimed that former intelligence unit chief Ramazan Akyürek, who was dismissed by the government over his alleged closeness to the movement, sent an intelligence officer to Görmez to show him an inappropriate video of Özdemir.

Albayrak said the “slanderous” article is far from the reality and is a part of an “ugly scenario which aims to divide people.”

“This article shows that some politicians want to use religious arguments and rumors of [sex] tapes as topics ahead of the [June 7] elections,” Albayrak said.

Albayrak stressed that none of the quotes attributed to Gülen in the article are true, adding that legal action will be immediately taken against those who voiced these claims.

Akyürek’s lawyer calls on Görmez to tell the truth

Akyürek’s lawyer also issued a statement on Wednesday to deny the columnist Albayrak’s allegations. Lawyer Adnan Şeker said the parts of the article which are related to his client are all “slander.” Şeker also called on Görmez to announce that the claims are not true, saying otherwise he would be a part of this campaign of slander.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 13, 2015


Related News

BBC Interviews Fethullah Gulen (Powerful but reclusive Turkish cleric)

Tim Franks – BBC Newshour, Pennsylvania – Speaking to the BBC’s Newshour, Fethullah Gulen said: “It is not possible for these judges and prosecutors to receive orders from me.” – Fethullah Gulen has been called Turkey’s second most powerful man. He is also a recluse, who lives in self-imposed exile in the US. – But now, […]

In Turkey, The Man To Blame For Most Everything(!) Is A U.S.-Based Cleric

It isn’t just last month’s attempted coup that the Gulen movement is being blamed for! Everything from suicide bomb attacks to past mine disasters are being laid at the cleric’s doorstep. Just to name a few: last November’s Turkish shootdown of a Russian fighter jet, an explosion at a coal mine in Soma led to an underground fire that killed 301 people in 2014, a horrific suicide bombing at a wedding in Gaziantep killed dozens in August and even killing of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink in 2007.

Erdoğan says personally pursuing fight against ‘parallel structure’

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan acknowledged during a speech on Tuesday that he has personally been pursuing a “fight” against the so-called “parallel structure,” adding that his administration is ready to cooperate with district governors to “clear” its members from state bureaucracy.

CHP leader calls on PM Erdoğan for explanation on action plan against Gülen movement

Republican People’s Party (CHP) head Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has called on Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to explain why he signed a National Security Council (MGK) decision in 2004 recommending an action plan against the Gülen movement. “The fact that Erdoğan has [avoided] speaking on such an important matter proves his culpability,” Kılıçdaroğlu argued, accusing the government of hypocrisy.

The Gülen community and the AKP

TAHA AKYOL The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), which is in line with Fethullah Gülen, has issued an announcement on relations with the ruling party. It is certain that Gülen made the last retouches on the text himself. Gülen defines the movement shortly as “Hizmet” (translated roughly as “service” in English). I asked those who […]

Turkey tries to trap Obama with extradition demand [of Mr. Gülen]

But while U.S. agency spokesmen are trying to be cautious in what they say, skepticism about Turkey’s claims that Gulen directed the plot are widespread in Washington. Last week, in comments that likely burned a few ears in Ankara, U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper told The Washington Post that he did not believe Turkey had yet offered enough proof to implicate Gulen, who has lived in Pennsylvania’s Poconos region for years.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan prepares for a bloodbath

Turkish educator says Demirel stood with Turkish schools abroad

Cameroonian Governor Thanked Turkish Nation for the Turkish Schools

EP’s Rebecca Harms Visited Turkish Educator Çabuk In Georgian Prison

TV series shooting banned over controversial scene depicting the Prophet Muhammad

520 children of imprisoned mothers growing up in jail, yet Turkey celebrates Children’s Day

Abant tackles contentious issue of drafting new constitution

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News