Nine-year-old beats 25,000 others in Maths competition


Date posted: April 27, 2015

GBADE OGUNWALE / ABUJA

A NINE-year-old pupil of the Nigerian Turkish School, Abuja, Adeoluwa Adetoba, has emerged winner of the 2015 edition of the National Mathematics Competition.

Adetoba beat 25,000 competitors nationwide to win the competition, organised by the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, in collaboration with the National Mathematical Centre.

The competition was organised for primary five and six pupils, to address the basic problems they face in mathematics.

At the award ceremony in Abuja on Friday, an elated Adetoba said he was delighted to win, stressing that it would spur him to work harder.

Adetoba got a full scholarship and a cash prize of N150, 000 donated by the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges.

Managing Director of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges, Mr. Mehmet Bashturk, said the competition cost N17 million, adding that the college would sustain the competition annually.

Bashturk said: “There is nothing like education. Education matters to our society and economy. It matters hugely to us. It matters to me as a father of two. The NTIC has continued to sow the seed of love of mathematics into the pupils”.

He said 25,400 pupils participated in the first round throughout the country.

“The competition has two rounds; state and zone level. The state level examinations were conducted simultaneously in the 36 states, including Abuja on January 24, 2015. The best five from each state qualified for the zonal level”, Bashturk said.

The Registrar of the National Mathematical Centre, Mr. Aliyu Muhammed Biu, praised the NTIC for its contribution to the promotion of mathematics.

He said: “The partnership between us is not a coincidence; it is a result of our similar mandate. The story of NTIC is a success. We have seen the progress made so far by this college”.

Source: The Nation , April 26, 2015


Related News

Albania deports Gülen follower at Turkey’s request despite court rejection of extradition

Albanian authorities on Wednesday deported Harun Çelik, a Turkish teacher at a school affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement in Albania, to Turkey despite a court order releasing him from his five-month incarceration over an extradition request from Ankara.

Turkish schools praised by Uganda’s education minister

Ugandan Education Minister Jessica Alupo commented on the success of Galaxy International Schools in Uganda during a recent trip to Turkey. Alupo stressed that the five Galaxy International Schools, which were opened by Turkish entrepreneurs and operate across Uganda with nearly 1,500 students, encourage pupils to grow as individuals.

German Greens MEP backs Gülen school official’s plea against extradition

“To be a teacher is not a crime,” said Rebecca Harms, a German politician who is current head of the Greens-European Free Alliance in the EU parliament. She was speaking at a press conference in Tbilisi after visiting Mustafa Emre Cabuk in prison on Sunday.

Municipality illegally demolishes building in İstanbul

Workers from the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality have demolished a small, prefabricated shelter on land that belongs to the Hizmet-affiliated Mehtap Education Foundation, despite the lack of official permission to carry out the demolition.

No better gift for Nigerien orphans

Kimse Yok Mu Foundation, which has been giving off Ramadan joy with the slogan “Fill up your umbrella of mercy with the abundance of sharing” in 110 countries on 5 continents, lifted up this time the orphans in the Nigerien capital Niamey.

Deputy speaker of Kenya Parliament: “I Gave Out Fethullah Gülen’s books to Congressmen”

Farah Maalim, Kenya’s deputy speaker of the parliament, thinks that the Turkish schools in his country, and in the rest of Africa “changes lives”.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Interview: Professor Greg Barton, counter terrorism expert with Deakin University

Why does Turkey’s President Erdogan want Knicks’ Enes Kanter in jail?

64-year-old bedridden woman in 17th month of her imprisonment on “terror” charges

Islamists lost test with power, Arab and Turkish intellectuals agree

Kimse Yok Mu helps flood victims in Tajikistan

Anatolia in Los Angeles

Inspector candidate labeled ‘red’ by ministry confirms profiling reports

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News