Karaca’s lawyers to ask Constitutional Court to reverse detention order

The Samanyolu TV network's general manager Hidayet Karaca (Photo: Cihan)
The Samanyolu TV network's general manager Hidayet Karaca (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: January 1, 2015

Lawyers for Samanyolu Broadcasting Group General Manager Hidayet Karaca, who was arrested after government-initiated operations targeting the managers of the Zaman and Samanyolu media outlets on Dec. 14, are preparing to file an appeal with the Constitutional Court to overturn the decision to detain Karaca on Tuesday.

Speaking to Today’s Zaman regarding the planned appeal to the top court, one of Karaca’s lawyers, Fikret Duran, stated that since the Penal Courts of Peace consecutively rejected appeals seeking Karaca’s release, the right to file an appeal with the Constitutional Court to reverse the local court’s verdict became possible.

Stressing that there is no hope remaining that the local courts will release Karaca, Duran said a verdict by a Penal Court of Peace can only be reversed by another Penal Court of Peace, leaving no hope for the release of those arrested. Moreover, he said the demands for release are not handled properly and that the court rejects them without providing sufficient reasons.

“According to Article 19 of the Constitution, there should be solid evidence and strong suspicion proving that the suspects were involved in the alleged offense. Though the recent amendment to the law concerning the arrest of people on the basis of reasonable suspicion is a fact, Article 19 of the Constitution bans anyone from being put in jail based on reasonable suspicion,” Duran added.

Karaca was detained on Dec. 14 along with dozens of journalists, scriptwriters and police officials, including the editor-in-chief of the best-selling Zaman daily, Ekrem Dumanlı, on Dec. 14 over charges of heading a terrorist group based on a TV series that was broadcast years ago on the Samanyolu TV channel.

The İstanbul 1st Criminal Court of Peace on Dec. 19 ruled for the arrest of Karaca and three former police officers. Karaca refused to defend himself before the court as he viewed the court as lacking impartiality and independence.

Fifteen other people, including scriptwriters, were released by the prosecution after being initially detained in the Dec. 14 crackdown on the media.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 01, 2015


Related News

Which Turks hate Israel most?

Mustafa Akyol There was an interesting story in the Daily News last week, about the cancelling of a Yuval Ron concert in Istanbul. Mr. Ron, an award-wining Israeli musician, was supposed to play his tunes in a Sultanahmet hall, but the event was cancelled at the last minute due to protests, and, allegedly, some “threats.” […]

Erdoğan’s Henchman: Oppression Targeting Gülen Movement To Be More Severe After Zarrab Case

Turkish autocratic President Erdoğan’s former speechwriter and current Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy Aydın Ünal wrote on Tuesday that the witch hunt against the alleged followers of the Gülen movement in Turkey will eventually become severe as a result of the Zarrab case in the US.

Votes of religious orders and communities [in Turkey]

The three-week debate between Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Fethullah Gülen had a long past that falls under this category. Although the AK Party is powerful, the Gülen movement is not a piece of cake it can swallow easily. The AK Party is a political party that keeps its members together using the power and interests available to a ruling party. The Gülen movement, on the other hand, is an army of volunteers.

New York Times urges Obama not to deport Gulen

In an editorial titled ‘Let Mr. Erdogan Fight His Own Battles’ published on May 2, the New York Times said ‘The American government is obliged to examine the request if Mr. Erdogan follows through and formally files one. But right now the threat seems to be nothing more than a crass and cynical attempt to exploit the law, and Turkey’s alliance with the United States, for political payback.’

Joint mosque-cemevi project will contribute to peace in Turkey

Protests against a joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) complex project are meaningless because the project will help alleviate tensions between Alevis and Sunnis in Turkey, Alevi community leaders said on Monday. During the groundbreaking ceremony of the complex in Ankara on Sunday, a group of nearly 500 people protested against the project, clashing with […]

Turkey dismisses another 330 academics, brings total to 7,316

A total of 330 academics were dismissed in a new government decree, issued on Tuesday, bringing the total number of academics who lost their jobs after a failed coup on July 15 to 7,316.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

US Rep. Scott: Gülen movement cannot be designated as “terrorist organization”

Question in the aftermath of the Turkey coup – Who is Fethullah Gulen?

22 Kosovo Police officers under investigation for deporting Turkish ‘Gulenists’

Candidates on ‘red list’ denied jobs despite high test scores, Taraf reports

Gülen movement can serve as bridge between Islamic and secular nations, intellectuals agree

Turkish and Australian organizations discuss multiculturalism

Turkish business suffers under Erdogan’s post-coup Gulen purge

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News