Kimse Yok Mu delivers humanitarian assistance to Yazidis, Turkmens

The Kimse Yok Mu charity provides humanitarian aid to Iraqi Kurds on Sept. 5, 2013.(Photo: Today's Zaman)
The Kimse Yok Mu charity provides humanitarian aid to Iraqi Kurds on Sept. 5, 2013.(Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: August 21, 2014

Kimse Yok Mu, one of the largest charity organizations in Turkey, has sent humanitarian assistance worth nearly TL 2 million collected by volunteers to help Turkmens and Yazidis escaping Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) forces in Iraq.

The assistance delivered to Turkmens and Yazidis fulfills their basic needs for approximately one week. Mainly consisting of food and some of the most urgent non-food items such as blankets, tents, soap and cooking utensils, the aid was loaded onto trucks and transferred to Iraqi Turkmen and Yazidi refugee communities.

Kimse Yok Mu Vice President Hüseyin Fazlıoğlu, who is also a coordinator of the charity organization’s domestic assistance, has said that the humanitarian aid will continue.

“Kimse Yok Mu is continuing its efforts to save those who are in need of help without regard to religion, language or race. And within this framework our humanitarian assistance for the Yazidis — escaping from the chaos in Iraq and seeking shelter in our country — is ongoing,” Fazlıoğlu said in an interview with Today’s Zaman.

According to Fazlıoğlu, the organization has prepared nearly 22 tons of food and supplies which sends to those areas where it is most needed.

Fazlıoğlu also said that they began the project of providing assistance to suffering Turkmens and Yazidis on the day chaos first erupted in the neighboring country.

The first trucks of humanitarian assistance were sent to the Erzurum branch of the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD) in early July to extend assistance to Turkmen people in northern Iraq. Beyond this, two more trucks were sent across the border into Iraq to help Turkmens, Yazidis and other minorities in the Iraqi city of Dohuk. So far, the organization has sent humanitarian assistance totaling some TL 2 million to Turkmens and Yazidis in northern Iraq.

“I hope that this humanitarian assistance will double with the help of Turkish volunteers,” Fazlıoğlu said.

Echoing Fazlıoğlu, the president of Kimse Yok Mu, İsmail Cingöz, said that TL 2 million is not the end of their assistance to the people in need living in northern Iraq.

“The initial aid of TL 2 million was the decision made in the early stage of the chaos. This month we have already fulfilled our budget goal of TL 2 million. Our board is right now planning to come back to the table to evaluate the activities that have taken place so far, as well as the depth of the problem. Afterward, we will decide on whether to extend humanitarian assistance of another TL 2-3 million,” Cingöz said in an interview with Today’s Zaman.

Underlining that when providing aid, Kimse Yok Mu considers the degree of suffering and unjust treatment, rather than the ethnic and/or religious affiliations of people, Cingöz said that the legitimacy of the humanitarian assistance is also important for the organization.

“During the process of providing humanitarian assistance, we are always in correspondence with AFAD and other relevant authorities. We also contact the relevant authorities from the countries to which we are extending assistance. As a member of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), we are also in close touch with the international community. So obtaining responses from these institutes takes up a lot of time, as a result of which, we are sometimes late delivering assistance,” Cingöz said, adding that gaining legitimacy is important in order to provide a secure corridor for the aid shipment. He emphasized that the terror organizations active in the region cause great difficulty for them and create regular delays.

Iraqi chaos did not stop humanitarian aid to Syrians

The ongoing Syrian crisis next door to Turkey, which has continued for more than three years, has left millions of refugees in neighboring countries, including Turkey.

The number of Syrians escaping their war-torn country to seek shelter in Turkey is estimated to be 1.2 million. Some sources also say that the number will reach 1.5 million by the end of the year.

Some 220,000 Syrians have already registered in 22 camps in different provinces of Turkey including Kilis, Hatay, Gaziantep, Şanlıurfa and Mardin.

“The remaining Syrian refugees are dispersed across the country and are living in terrible conditions. Young Syrians are on the streets and risk getting involved in various illegal activities. Their future is at great risk,” Cingöz said adding that the extension of humanitarian assistance is critical in this case and it will continue.

According to him, since early 2011 — the start of the Syrian crisis — Kimse Yok Mu has spent TL 67 million to help Syrians across the country, particularly those in Kilis and Hatay’s Reyhanlı and Yayladağı districts. The humanitarian assistance comprised food, clothes, caring for Syrian children, educating them and financing Syrian schools in the border cities of Turkey.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 21, 2014


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu opens two orphanages, Quran course in Senegal

Turkish charity association Kimse Yok Mu which operates in many parts of the world opened two orphanages for orphan students and a Quran course in Senegal.

Religious leaders in Philippines defend Turkish NGOs being linked to terrorism

De La Salle Philippines president Bro. Armin Luistro and leaders of religious groups on Tuesday expressed support to two non-government organizations being linked to terrorist organizations, noting the NGOs’ track records in peace-building.

Water Well Constructed in Uganda in Memory of Slain Journalist

The charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) and the Embrace Relief aid foundation, founded by Turks residing in the US, have jointly constructed a water well in Uganda dedicated to the memory of James Foley, an American journalist killed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).

Gov’t ban on charity Kimse Yok Mu hits orphans

Thousands of orphans and needy people around the world whose lives depend on the aid they receive from charities such as Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?), the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey, are at risk of being affected by the Turkish government’s restrictions on the charitable association.

Parents Of Afghan-Turk Students To Lodge Complaint Against National Directorate of Security

Students’ parents said they will lodge complaint at the Attorney General’s Office against the National Directorate of Security (NDS) over detaining the teachers of Afghan-Turk schools.

Mali Minister pledges to maintain good relations with Kimse Yok Mu

Three Mali ministers and high officials, a guest from Turkey and from Europe met at the charity event, which was sponsored by the Horizon College in Mali, Yardım Zamanı Derneği of Mali and Yardım Zamanı of Europe aid organizations. While he was the Minister of Education, Diarra said he had the opportunity to work together with the Horizon College Turkey school, and on this occasion he had a chance to know more about the influential Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

A rising profile for Turkish Cultural Center Vermont

Islamic scholar Gülen files libel case against PM Erdoğan

Ministerial bureaucrats being purged over their alleged affiliations with Hizmet

Educational unions lash out against gov’t-backed school raids

12-year-old claims asylum with UN as father caught in Erdogan’s anti-Gülen dragnet in Saudi Arabia

Court wants up to 11 years for Samanyolu TV director

The Public Trial of Fethullah Gulen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News